Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Diesel virgin
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
SamThomas

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Baltic Blue

I used to work for a well known supermarket driving HGV's into Central London.

The "(desk) driver trainers" used to insist that you kept below 2,000rpm (the on-board telematics would grass you up if you did !).

That meant you had to amble away from the lights holding up other traffic.

Stick with that & you would return to the RDC with a dashboard like a Christmas Tree & it would go into a forced regen meaning the vehicle had to be left outside, engine running for up to an hour.

I never stuck to it & never, ever had an HGV go into regen &/or restricted performance.

I could never understand the logic behind this.

Diesels are designed to work - just ask any HGV (or large diesel) engineer.

Post #641218 28th Aug 2022 2:09pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Hard working a diesel engine on acceleration does not clear the DPF on passenger vehicles and infact quite the opposite it's a quick way of filling up the DPF with soot 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #641222 28th Aug 2022 3:02pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Right so, if that's the case. why do manual / forced regen routines push more fuel into the engine (or exhaust, if so equipped) to get the exhaust (and by default, turbo) temperatures up high enough to burn off the stored soot?

I just hope you never sell your car as some poor sod is going to have bought a real moneypit.

And yes, it's possible to get the engine core temperature up by using command shift, we do it all the time on the roads around the workshop where the limits are 30 or 40 mph and plod likes to turn up with speed detection equipment on a regular basis.

Post #641230 28th Aug 2022 5:08pm
JayGee

Active regeneration introduces fuel into the exhaust after the combustion cycle and closes the EGR valve to raise the temperature of exhaust gases and thus the DPF core. This is not the same as revving the engine or hard accelerating Rolling Eyes . My car has run fine for the last year / 15000 miles and I've never had a DPF full warning and my last one 2 diesels did >120kmiles between them over 8 years with also no DPF warning lights or issues. Just steady driving with plenty of motorways and regular oil changes to dump the soot load in the oil. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #641233 28th Aug 2022 5:33pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

EGR's are not closed during regen, otherwise the NOx values would be through the roof and the vehicle would not conform to EU5 or greater type approval. A regen (forced or otherwise) does not require greater Oxygen levels to increase the exhaust temperature, just post injection or dedicated exhaust diesel dosing injector.

Post #641234 28th Aug 2022 5:57pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

JayGee wrote:
Just steady driving with plenty of motorways and regular oil changes to dump the soot load in the oil.

The new car servicing requirement is every two years … the regen is achieved at much lower speeds. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #641236 28th Aug 2022 6:07pm
JayGee

The EGR valve closes on active DPF regeneration according to the live data on my GAP IID ( one way of seeing it's in active regen mode) and the workshop manual. Same as on my previous diesel cars with DPF's from VAG and GM. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #641238 28th Aug 2022 6:12pm
JayGee

Bill wrote:
JayGee wrote:
Just steady driving with plenty of motorways and regular oil changes to dump the soot load in the oil.

The new car servicing requirement is every two years … the regen is achieved at much lower speeds.

Every 2 years Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Big Cry 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #641239 28th Aug 2022 6:13pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Funny that, the data I have is from VWG vehicles, using manufacturers diagnostics - EGR's definitely operate normally during regen cycles. From what i've seen on here, IID live values are not altogether reliable.
PSA vehicles (the ones that don't have an exhaust dosing injector) also operate the EGR's 'normally during regen cycles, now given that the Lion engines and their derivatives are PSA designed, care to take a wild guess about the regen / EGR strategy?
I still have some of the design / training notes so I'll see if I can find the relevant sections.

BTW, if the EGR's were closed, how much of this 'extra' oxygen do you think would make it into the exhaust?

Post #641245 28th Aug 2022 6:54pm
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

JayGee, you proved yourself wrong when I questioned your reply earlier in this thread. I didn't know if you were right or wrong but it didn't sound right that's why I asked.
I think members should only say things that they know to be factually correct or say nothing at all.

Post #641248 28th Aug 2022 7:03pm
JayGee

AFAIK the workshop manual PDF is downloadable from the wiki (Exhaust section - DPF description) and it's quite a detailed description of how it operates on the 4.4 TDV8. Given the EGR gases are added to reduce combustion temperatures it would likley not aid the regen process and there is also the additional problem of circulating very hot gas into a plastic intake plenum. I guess as far a emissions are concerned the regen cycle will happen outside urban areas. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #641249 28th Aug 2022 7:12pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

JayGee wrote:
Hard working a diesel engine on acceleration does not clear the DPF on passenger vehicles and in fact quite the opposite it's a quick way of filling up the DPF with soot

Giving the 2nd ~Turbo a good blow in fact helps to blow out the ash in the DPF, only the soot is burnt off during Passive or Active Regeneration. If the DPF temperature is above 250C Passive Regeneration will burn off most of any soot produced.

its possible you could be happily Regenerating, burning off all your soot, but slowly accumulating ash. 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #641250 28th Aug 2022 7:13pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Bill wrote:
JayGee wrote:

The new car servicing requirement is every two years … the regen is achieved at much lower speeds.

Bill -- I can see the petrol cars are every 2Y but cant see the diesels being 2Y certainly the 3L diesels are every 1Y

https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/docume...c/G2463088 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #641251 28th Aug 2022 7:17pm
JayGee

kevinp wrote:
JayGee, you proved yourself wrong when I questioned your reply earlier in this thread. I didn't know if you were right or wrong but it didn't sound right that's why I asked.
I think members should only say things that they know to be factually correct or say nothing at all.

I made one factual error which I checked and corrected. That doesn't mean I've 'proved myself wrong'. I agree members should only state things they know are factually correct and hence why I'm posting as there is a lot of opinions and not so may facts (IMO Wink ). 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Last edited by JayGee on 28th Aug 2022 7:53pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #641252 28th Aug 2022 7:24pm
JayGee

Kot wrote:
JayGee wrote:
Hard working a diesel engine on acceleration does not clear the DPF on passenger vehicles and in fact quite the opposite it's a quick way of filling up the DPF with soot

Giving the 2nd ~Turbo a good blow in fact helps to blow out the ash in the DPF, only the soot is burnt off during Passive or Active Regeneration. If the DPF temperature is above 250C Passive Regeneration will burn off most of any soot produced.

its possible you could be happily Regenerating, burning off all your soot, but slowly accumulating ash.

That's the first time I've heard a claim that ash can be blown out of a DPF. One reason not to exercise the 2nd turbo is it adds to the ash load every time you use it. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #641253 28th Aug 2022 7:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>