Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > DPS=ECU
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Googs

Australia 
DPS=ECU

I've tried and tried over the last few months to get some sound in the RR with no luck to date!
I've put a new DSP amp, radio and TV amp in place and still no sound. I find if I wriggle the wires connecting to the dsp main power harness or the speakers in or out and it will go for a moment and then stop or it will play the radio with no volume control.
I've unwrapped all the wiring in the boot area where the radio and amp are in order to find a broken wire....no luck, too many wires at the one time wriggling. šŸ˜
All the new components I've fitted were tested and out of a going RR so I have put it down to wires BUT I have wriggled them all at separate times without getting any sound, I'm about to spit the dummy and sell the RR and buy a newer model L322 with a more modern radio set up....anyone got any idea's for me to try or been in the same situation ?
Many thanks in advance šŸ‘Œ

A question, I've put my scanner on the RR and gone into the DSP and if keeps coming up with it can't communicate with the ECU, what ecu could it be talking about?

Post #640565 23rd Aug 2022 6:30am
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I assume the ECU in the DSP, but happy to be corrected. The DSP is an active crossover, the amp is in the BM54 radio unit.

Does the text ā€œDSPā€ appear in white or grey on the dash screen?

If itā€™s greyed out, itā€™s not identifying itself on the ibus.

The DSP and BM54 handshake to each other also.

I donā€™t have an early car anymore so canā€™t help much more Iā€™m afraid.

The workshop manual should be in the Wiki.

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #640577 23rd Aug 2022 8:48am
Googs

Australia 

Yes the DSP is in white sometimes, as I say the amp or wiring seem to have a intermittent fault cause I canā€™t seem to find which part is a fault!
And sometimes the DSP is in grey and thatā€™s when itā€™s not working or no sound.
I just canā€™t figure out how or which wires or plugs are at fault.

Post #640598 23rd Aug 2022 11:40am
mjdronfield

It will need to identify on the iBus, to say itā€™s there, so in white on the screen. If thatā€™s not done it will never work.

I canā€™t remember which wire is for ibus Iā€™m afraid. Pretty sure itā€™s just one.

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Post #640638 23rd Aug 2022 4:46pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

I had similar problems initially and eventually traced it to bad connections within one of the two plugs on the dsp that serve the speakers, canā€™t remember which one it was though.
One of the two nearest the centre line of the car.

I eventually resolved it, which has stayed resolved for years to date, by carefully cleaning each of the pins on dsp sockets and then each of the pin connections in the two plugs.

I did this by breaking off the end of a needle and using it as a scraper to do the cleaning. Fortunately l didnā€™t have to take the plugs apart.

You could try imperceptibly bending the pins over in the two sockets to get better connections in the plugs.

The connections in these plugs / sockets are nothing startling, Iā€™ve even had the speakers be off on very cold mornings only to come on as the car warmed through. Expansion and contraction l presume.

Of course now my screen has gone blank even though everything still works. Censored

Post #640642 23rd Aug 2022 5:22pm
Googs

Australia 

nicedayforit;

I know exactly what what you mean, this is happening to me, I have already started cleaning and bending the pins on the DSP amp, the black plug (closest to the front of car) is the plug I've cleaning and the socket that it belongs to is the one I've been bending pins on.

I suspected that plug early in the peace, but so many other problems came up as I was endeavouring to get some sound from this device.
Sometimes I can stop working on the radio of an evening and go inside the house for tea (with the radio not going) and get working on it the next day....put the key in the ignition turn to position one and WOW I have music BUT it wasn't working the night before when I was last working on it! Is this magic!

It seem to work when you least expect it to, if I did a battery disconnect and on connection the radio would be going. Huh

Post #640661 23rd Aug 2022 8:50pm
nicedayforit

I donā€™t know if you get much rain where you are but is there any chance that water has got into the car.
The dsp is in a very vulnerable position as regards water ingress. It might be worth taking the dsp out of the car, taking the case off and looking for signs of water damage. That would certainly mess things up.

Post #640757 24th Aug 2022 6:52pm
Googs

Australia 

The weather in Tasmania is much like your weather (a few years ago anyway) rain one day windy the next and sunny the day after. šŸ˜

The original DSP had water ingress, this one I have now is from a parts yard and said to be working correctly (out of an RR that had a working radio)

I have taken the DSP out of the car and I'm sending it back to the yard to be checked to be working with the radio module and if its not I will purchase a radio amp to go with it, then when I get it back and fit it up in the RR and it doesn't work properly its a wiring problem, and I know that's a long way around diagnosing a sound problem but it the only way left. šŸ˜Ž

I cleaned the two quadlocks like you said with a pin and broke the end off then cleaned out every pin hole, but no luck.
I can't seem to get sound at all the DSP, it doesn't show up on the screen in white writing any more so its time to send it back to the yard....more to follow in coming weeks when the goods return. Thx for the help so far.

Post #640766 24th Aug 2022 8:31pm
nicedayforit

The only other thing I can think of is when l got my car originally and had problems with the sound I found a small Connects2 module down behind the tv module. I understand this was some type of switch that allowed use of the original now redundant telephone installed in the car. This module was badly corroded so l bypassed it and threw it away, never use the telephone anyway.
This did however bring the sound back on.
If the dsp doesnā€™t highlight on the screen the connections for that are in the third plug on top of the dsp, the bigger one.

Persevere, you will get there but l have reservations about your problem being cable fault related.

Post #640768 24th Aug 2022 8:45pm
Googs

Australia 

Thanks, ill have a look for the connects2 thingy when its light outside.

Do yo mean the Big Black plug that one that slides and isn't a quad lock?

So the Connects2 thingy is behind the TV module on the body of the RR?

Post #640771 24th Aug 2022 8:58pm
nicedayforit

Yes for the big black plug, theyā€™ve been known to suffer corrosion.

The connect2 thingy almost seemed to be an afterthought and had been plugged into the harness and dropped down behind the tv module. On mine a small relay on the board was corroded.

Post #640814 25th Aug 2022 8:27am
Googs

Australia 

The only thing that would be nice to know is what color are the wires on the connect2 thingy?

About what size is the connect2 ? Is it made of plastic or just some wires twisted together?

Post #640826 25th Aug 2022 9:59am
nicedayforit

From memory the connect 2 unit was a 60mmx60mmx 12mm or thereabouts and was grey plastic with a Connects 2 logo on it.
It had cable tails on it which must have had plug/socket as all l did was unplug the connections to remove it and then plug the harness connections together again to form the complete harness
This was 11 years ago so my details might not be fully accurate but they are close enough.
If indeed you find such a unit you will know it. It wasnā€™t installed as such it was just dropped down behind the tv module.
I have no idea why the thing was on my car other than it served the original phone, it seemed a bit of an afterthought to me.

Post #640849 25th Aug 2022 12:23pm
mjdronfield

Yeah, that wonā€™t be factory fit.

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Post #640853 25th Aug 2022 1:59pm
Googs

Australia 

Thank you very much....this is one reason why these Forums are so good, to help other from all places in the globe.

I have sent the DSP amp away to get tested on a good working Range Rover so I know it works....i can rule that out of the equation. The reason I'm going to so much trouble to fix this is to keep the system all original, so the diagnosis continues.
Thank you gentlemen, I will update when I've found the connect2 plug.

Post #640898 25th Aug 2022 8:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>