Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Service Intervals - WTF?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
CUE99T

Scotland 

I'm just hitting 21k on the clock and its still saying 100 miles to first service.......maybe your countdown is faulty...... all smug in my new plug!

2021 Westminster Black D300
2013 Vogue SE - gone
Some Porsche Cayenne guff pretending to be a 4x4!!
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #644060 26th Sep 2022 8:21pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Maybe a software update will help?
Tell the dealer of your concerns that the service milage is plummetting way more than it should, even allowing for short trips.
Maybe the dilution is still set at 7% rather than the “updated” 10% value?

OTOH, If you use Genuine LR oil and filter, and reset with iiD tool, how would they know? “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #644061 26th Sep 2022 8:27pm
Spleen

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

I'll give them a bell tomorrow, see what's what. No doubt it'll be along the lines of, 'Bring it and we'll charge you £169 for a diagnostic before we get to a decision before we replace a widget, which may or not be under warranty.'

Point taken about replacing oil with a tool etc but experience has shown with another brand is they can still see where stuff has happened. I have an intermittent fault on another car that throws a CEL every now and then. I clear it by disconnecting the battery but the info is still stored and they can still see it.

Whilst the chances of a catastrophic engine failure are pretty remote I wouldn't like to be in a position where I have shag all wiggle room because I conducted a non-approved service.

Sigh. 2017 Vogue SE
Citroen 2cv
Ferrari F430 F1 Spider

Post #644065 26th Sep 2022 8:46pm
Spleen

Thought I'd come back to this as I'm still perplexed. Car had 6 year service last week as well as some warranty work, took it for a quick 35 mile blat to make sure all was well and parked up.

Needed to a 260 mile round trip today and app said service due in 15,818 miles. After the trip it said 14,774 so for a 260 mile round trip it's 'cost' me 1000 miles off the service interval. I have no idea why this is happening, I can picture the scene at a main dealer, 'They all do that sir,' so little point asking. Beyond asking my local indy, does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

I get the oil dilution thing with short journeys but motorway journeys at speed? Question 2017 Vogue SE
Citroen 2cv
Ferrari F430 F1 Spider

Post #666134 7th Jun 2023 10:14pm
caymanblack

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

When the car went in did you ask them to check this?

As others have said service it at the MD yearly and do an in-between oil and filter change yourself perfectly acceptable using the correct oil and filter.

Mine counted down rapidly last winter just getting it in and out of the garage, Censored overfinch modified

Post #666178 8th Jun 2023 1:14pm
Bigfella70

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Similar pattern with mine.

Had my 2016MY 4.4 SDV8 since last June.

Serviced / oil and filter June 2022 123,324 miles

Oil and filter Jan 2023 126,722 miles

Earlier this week (currently 129176 miles) indicated 4000 miles approx to next service being due.

Completed a 120 mile round trip mainly motorway yesterday and service now showing due in 1500 miles!

I do a combination of long and short journeys, never had a DPF light on and use decent fuel.

Seems very short intervals to me……. Current
2016 MY L405 SDV8
2018 VW Golf GT EVO
Previous
2002 L322 TD6
2004 Mercedes R230 SL350
1994 993 Carrera
Range Rover P38 x3
Range Rover 3.9 EFI

Post #666189 8th Jun 2023 5:57pm
Spleen

Sorry, forgot I ranted here and Censored off. I didn't mention it when it went in for a service but it's got to go back for some minor warranty work so I'll ask then but not holding out for a sensible reply. It is frustrating though, watching your mileage disappear disproportionately. My old RRS 3.0 never did this, just counted down as per the miles used, even when doing lots of short journeys. 2017 Vogue SE
Citroen 2cv
Ferrari F430 F1 Spider

Post #668079 1st Jul 2023 2:05pm
Gremlin500

@Spleen:

This is entirely normal and to be expected.

Read all of this thread:

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic60839...generation “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #668111 1st Jul 2023 8:49pm
James W

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Siberian Silver

Mines asking for a service every 6 months now, even just after a couple of thousand miles. I avoid short journeys as much as possible. I'm going to start doing intermediate oil changes to mitigate any real dilution (if there indeed was anything to worry about) with 'full' service schedules annually.

I've mused about this before, but if someone sold a simple plug-in OBD device that played a ping when an active DPF regen had started, and more importantly, a different ping when it had completed, that just worked automatically when the vehicle was running, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. FFRR SDV8 Autobiography

Post #671581 20th Aug 2023 12:18pm
caymanblack

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

That would be good James , really the car should let you know ! overfinch modified

Post #671586 20th Aug 2023 12:49pm
James W

It would be worth its weight in gold. Just need someone to package Kot's research (thread linked above) into a small device! Wonder if BAS could do it 🤔 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography

Post #671590 20th Aug 2023 1:32pm
Gremlin500

@James:

Kot (& myself, & several others) already have exactly this effectively: for about £30, you can buy the Vgate iCar BT tiny little OBDII plug-in, and get Car Scanner Pro for your phone, rejig “Dashboard” in the phone App to monitor the Soot level, DPF Regen, exhaust temperatures, and whatever else you like.

You can set a custom beep alarm for any values you need, and change characters say from red to green when a desired parameter is reached.

It takes a bit of fiddling to get it sorted, but then it can be up & running within seconds of getting into the vehicle.

All this is covered in Kots excellent thread, and theres a YouTube video on setting up the [EDIT:] Car Scanner App if you’re struggling, also mentioned in the thread.

Give it a go! Thumbs Up

Don’t leave the Vgate unit constantly plugged in, or it will frequently fail to connect with your phone, just plug it in when you need to check stuff. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Last edited by Gremlin500 on 21st Aug 2023 1:35pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #671629 21st Aug 2023 10:01am
Gremlin500

@James:
See pic of Vgate gadget and Car Scanner dashboard screen after customisation.
I turned off the audible alerts because they were annoying when driving, but you can colour-code the text according to value, for example “DPF Regen” is red if “0”, green if 1 (passive regen) or 2 (active regen) so a quick glance down tells you current status:

Acknowledgement to Kot, of course! Bow down Bow down Bow down “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #671638 21st Aug 2023 11:48am
James W

🤔

I already have a Carisma OBD Bluetooth device which would be worth me trying with the app. Can you leave it plugged into the OBD permanently without it draining the vehicle battery though? Have to plug in a dongle, pair it with a phone, open. An app and start running it every time I used the vehicle would get tiresome! If I could leave the Carisma unit in place that's slightly better FFRR SDV8 Autobiography

Post #671832 23rd Aug 2023 1:46pm
James W

🤔

I already have a Carisma OBD Bluetooth device which would be worth me trying with the app. Can you leave it plugged into the OBD permanently without it draining the vehicle battery though? Have to plug in a dongle, pair it with a phone, open. An app and start running it every time I used the vehicle would get tiresome! If I could leave the Carisma unit in place that's slightly better FFRR SDV8 Autobiography

Post #671833 23rd Aug 2023 1:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>