Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L405) > L405 Passenger Seat Randomly Moving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
samb096

United Kingdom 
L405 Passenger Seat Randomly Moving

Evening all, I’m new to L405 ownership having wanted one for a while now, finally purchased once and got it delivered on Friday. Loving it so far! However I took the car out yesterday and everything was fine but when I came to go out in the evening, I got in the car and the passenger seat moved all the way forward till it was almost touching the dash. I moved it back, picked some friends up and as the passenger was entering the vehicle the passenger seat moved all the way forward again. This happened another twice over the weekend. I initially thought I was happening when either unlocking or entering the vehicle however I took the car out today and twice whilst on our journey with a passenger in the seat did it move itself all the way forward. All the seat functions work as normal and everything functions under normal conditions. The car is a 2013 L405 RHD UK spec car. Has anyone experienced anything similar and got any ideas what I can do to make it stop doing this?

Note; the car also had a flat battery this morning, I’m not sure if the two issues are related, I was concerned that the seats were constantly trying to move thus flattening the battery however I’ve since found out the seats can’t be adjusted with the ignition off so I’m wondering if the flat battery is a separate issue entirely. Any help would be greatly received.

Many thanks!

Post #650478 11th Dec 2022 7:42pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

put the seat into your required position and memorise it on all the 3 memories...see what happens.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #650480 11th Dec 2022 7:54pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

It's probably a software fault, mine had the headrest on the passenger seat move down without any input from anyone a couple of times. The software was rebooted and no recurrence. I assume you don't have anything in the loadspace that could be pressing on the rear seat folding button, as operating the passenger side rear seat fold will move the front seat away (maybe optional on some models).

Oddly enough my driver's seat moved forward and folded while I was sitting in it today, reaching for something on the back seat, I imagine I touched something, but if it happens again will assume there is a software fault and get that checked.

Software faults can also cause battery drain. It is not impossible that a failing battery is causing problems, they seem to cause all manner of odd results. My battery was fine when the headrest was moving by itself.

It is probably a case of getting it checked to see if it needs a software reboot. If there is a battery drain and the battery has been flattened, I understand that it needs to be fully charged and then tested to see whether it is still capable of holding charge, if not then it will need to be replaced.

Good luck. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #650481 11th Dec 2022 7:56pm
samb096

United Kingdom 

Thankyou for the reply. Can a software reboot be carried out by the owner or is this something that requires a trip to the garage? I have had the rear seats down but I think they’re all the way back up but I’ll check to see if they’re fully back upright, I wonder if the rear seat not quite been in its ‘home’ position is causing the front seat to not know where it is in its cycle? I did also wonder about changing the battery just as a precaution, on a 9 year old car it’s possible it’s still on it original battery and I’ve owned cars in the past where a failing battery plays havoc with the vehicle electronics.

Post #650487 11th Dec 2022 8:11pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

My software reboots were all done at the dealer, as also the battery tests. Maybe a more technical forum member can comment on DIY options. Software issues are not that uncommon with the L405 (at least going by mine). Maybe test the battery anyway too.

After posting my earlier reply I searched for what might have caused the driver seat to move and it seems there is something one can do with the steering column adjuster, so I expect I caught that with my knee. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #650493 11th Dec 2022 8:29pm
samb096

United Kingdom 

So the plot thickens, I’ve just been to the car now to put the owners manual away and as soon as I hit the unlock button on the key, the passenger seat started to move into its forward position again. Very odd. I wonder if there’s something in the unlock sequence that would cause the passenger seat to move? I could understand the drivers seat moving on unlocking the vehicle for easy access but I’m baffled as to why the passenger seat would move!

Post #650513 11th Dec 2022 11:06pm
Stuart-

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

stan wrote:
put the seat into your required position and memorise it on all the 3 memories...see what happens..

Did you do this that Stan suggested? 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography in black
2018 D300 SE Velar in champagne
Spiffing wheel centre caps available

Post #650548 12th Dec 2022 1:43pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

I may have sussed this for you:

A little-known option 127: “Passenger Seat Away”

See: https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/docume...c/G1802289

The passenger seat automatically moves forward to allow rear passengers easier access when turned on.

Not sure if it’s functioning as desired, but you should be able to turn it off via the menu in the touchscreen Thumbs Up “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #650553 12th Dec 2022 2:17pm
samb096

United Kingdom 

That would make sense regarding ‘Passenger Seat Away’ I’m not sure how to find it in the menu but I’ll have a look when I get back home. Thanks for the link, I’ve had a look through the information on there, I’ve already found the switch on the top right hand side of the seat and that functions as it should to slide the seat forward and backwards. However the article states that it won’t function when the seatbelt is buckled and it’s happened twice now with a passenger in the car with the seat belt buckled so like you say if it is the ‘Passenger Seat Away’ then it can’t be functioning properly.

I did also notice that the memory settings buttons on the passenger side door are only partially illuminated and only the 1 and 2 buttons are illuminated and the ‘M’ key and ‘3’ key aren’t illuminated I wonder if I’ve got a fault with the switch pack and that’s what’s causing the issue?

Post #650557 12th Dec 2022 2:39pm
Gremlin500

You would think that this would throw up some DTC’s, do you have access to a diagnostic tool? Question

Also try what Stan suggested above…… Whistle “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #650561 12th Dec 2022 3:17pm
Gremlin500

@samb096:

There are a couple of Hall-effect sensors which detect slide position, which could go bad, or it could be the switch itself.
Sounds like its a trip to the auto electricians….. Whistle

Imagine if this happened to the DRIVERs’ seat when driving? Shocked “S**t Away” definitely! Rolling with laughter “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #650579 12th Dec 2022 5:28pm
James W

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Siberian Silver

Gremlin500 wrote:
I may have sussed this for you:

A little-known option 127: “Passenger Seat Away”

See: https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/docume...c/G1802289

The passenger seat automatically moves forward to allow rear passengers easier access when turned on.

Not sure if it’s functioning as desired, but you should be able to turn it off via the menu in the touchscreen Thumbs Up

Mine has this, but it simply allows you to easily slide the front passenger seat forwards or backwards using the switch on the seat itself on the side, by the right shoulder. You can access it from driver or rear passenger. It doesn't do anything automatically, only when you press the switch. I guess it's not impossible that the switch could be 'stuck on' for the forward setting? (If you have this switch) FFRR SDV8 Autobiography

Post #650581 12th Dec 2022 5:39pm
samb096

United Kingdom 

My car had the little switch on the side of the seat however like I say, it’s moved forward by itself even with a passenger in the seat with the seatbelt on. I’ve tried to reprogram the seats memory all to the same position but because I’ve only got half the memory buttons illuminated I’m not sure if it’s not saving the settings are the orange memory light isn’t illuminating indicating the use to select either 1,2 or 3 for their settings. I’m wondering if it’s worth ordering another memory switch pack and seeing if that allows me to at least use the memory function?

Post #650584 12th Dec 2022 5:48pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

That was my initial thought. The switch on the side of the passenger seat at shoulder height. Intended for chauffeurs to be able to move the passenger seat forward / back without them having to move. I think it's only active when in Park, or something similar, which also seems to fit with the observed behaviour.

Post #650585 12th Dec 2022 5:50pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

@samb0, when you memorise the seat position a confirmation will be displayed on the instrument panel...make sure the ignition is on.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #650586 12th Dec 2022 5:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>