Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Alternative to L405 gear selector
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 11 <123 ... 91011
Print this entire topic · 
JDGeorgia

United States 2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

What is ETA? For us it is Estimated Time of Arrival... I may be losing something in translation there...

Dude - being uncomfortably intimate with the L494 Lever... I think that is the same module in a different subframe. Check out Pic #9/9

I would say that you have the same problem... the subframe is too wide to fit between the cupholder mechanism and the driver's side 'wall' of the console. V6 ended up being 98mm wide(the file was 108mm wide to give the bit room to work) - which was about as wide as I could go. I wanted wider to give more 'meat' outside the mounting screws... but the real estate just wasn't there.

That being said - that is a very good price! I snagged a couple for around $125/ea.
I see a bunch of them on eBay US for upwards of $400.

I was toying with the idea of the MY22-23 gear selector - but you said some incantation about CANBUS Serial yadda or maybe it was cannabis and cereal - whatever... I just figured it would not work electrically, and there are just not that many L460's in junkyards - yet...

The L405 mounting pegs are wider than the L494 and quite a bit further apart front to back.
I have the L405 at 170.5mm c/c front to back and 80mm wide c/c.
The L494 is only 77.75mm front to back. The front holes are 80mm, but the back are 65mm c/c
The narrow back works out really well - it allows you to slide the rear in between the L405 Pegs in an attempt to get this back to where you can rest your hand on it whilst driving (like I did in the L322).

I should have taken more pics - but when I could smell the finish line - it was more about getting it back together than documentation. I am bad that way.

It is good to know that there is another possible pool of modules out there - L494 and L550...
I am sure there are plenty of the flat L494 pigtails available... We just need the magic L405 pin holder... 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'
Rolled Yahtzee Aug 2023 222,222Miles
2016 L405 HSE TD6. Santorini Black over Almond. - 'Donna the Diesel'
Only L405 IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE with an L494 Shift Lever Fitted!
97K at purchase Sept of 2023

Last edited by JDGeorgia on 22nd Dec 2023 3:52pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #680475 16th Dec 2023 4:56pm
JDGeorgia

I'm confused - which is kind of my natural state...
You think that the L550 is electrically (CANBUSsy different?)

I swear it is the same module... it even says L494 on the side.
Did they screw things up post 2018 with that facelift or something? 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #680479 16th Dec 2023 5:16pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

The system architecture changed to a 29bit frame size, 2017 or 2018 depending upon model, which is why I mentioned early on that the donor parts need to be from the same MY vehicle.

ETA in this context is 'edited to add' I thought you Septics loved TLA's Wink

Post #680480 16th Dec 2023 5:50pm
JDGeorgia

@Phoenix - Why can't I quote you?!?!? You're like a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.
(His Mamma was an American - dontcha know...)
"The system architecture changed to a 29bit frame size, 2017 or 2018 depending upon model, which is why I mentioned early on that the donor parts need to be from the same MY vehicle."
Dude - all I see are 'computer words' you may have well quoted Bull Durham -
Nuke: “I got a Porsche already. I got a 911 with a quadraphonic Blaupunkt.”
Crash: “Christ! You don’t need a quadraphonic Blaupunkt. What you need is a curveball.”
Honestly - I think a nasty change up is more effective than a curveball - but I don't have a Porsche 911 with a quadraphonic Blaupunkt... I have a Full Fat with an 825 Watt Meridian. Whaddaya gonna do?

Is MY - not Model Year? The 2014 lever worked in mine as well as the current 2016...
I do get this fault... With either the 2016 or 2014 L494 Lever but nothing comes up on the dash...

Click image to enlarge

"I thought you Septics loved TLA's Wink" - I got nothin'... Not even the foggiest idea what that means... 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #680507 17th Dec 2023 12:11am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

You can't quote the last comment, only ones before...

MY is Model Year...

I applaud your work in making your RR what YOU want, once you have the surround sorted it will look very good.....

A slight word of warning though... I'm 6'5" and I have the seat all the way back, in this position I can just reach the knob, with a stick angled forward I think I would struggle getting to it without leaning forward... This is a shot from my drivers eye view, that knob is a long way away...!!!

Click image to enlarge

Also with the non original HVAC screen the stick would block a lot of it out and make it difficult to get to the dial....

Click image to enlarge

Could the stick be placed further back, where the little Range Rover plaque is...???

As I say, great work.... Thumbs Up Bow down Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #680606 18th Dec 2023 9:12am
JDGeorgia

Haylands wrote:
You can't quote the last comment, only ones before...

MY is Model Year...

I guess you can quote - if you know the magic words Cool - just no button appears...
I still think Churchill's quote applies as well to Phoenix as it does Russia! Laughing

@Haylands - thank you for your kind words. I am not sure where in this 11 page tome you started following, but the Lever/Console is 99.995% sorted. (This has become like the coloring book edition of War and Peace...)

I *may* take another shot at carving the filler piece out of the donor cup holder lid to get rid of the spalling, but I am going to let it simmer a while... I have a couple more ideas rolling around in this pretty li'l head and I don't want to use up the Shadow Walnut just yet.

Haylands wrote:
A slight word of warning though... I'm 6'5" and I have the seat all the way back, in this position I can just reach the knob, with a stick angled forward I think I would struggle getting to it without leaning forward...
6'-5"!?! - Big ol' biscuit eatin' boy... (legit southern buttermilk biscuits - not cookies) I'm not 6' 5", but have the same issue... all my 6' is in my legs. I fit much better in an L322 than the L405.

It is not that the stick is angled 'forward' - it is just not angled back... In my version of the L405 with a lever, the top of the beauty ring is flush/flat or slightly proud of the console lid.
Click image to enlarge

In the wild, the lever sits in a subframe attached to the floor of the L494 console, is angled aft about 21.5*, and there is a bezel that reaches down to fill the gap.
Click image to enlarge

If I did the math(s) correct that would get you about 59mm or 2.32" at the top - which would be almost perfect for my long legs and shorter arms.

The problem was(is) there was nothing in the L405 console floor which to anchor the L494 subframe. Given my limited brain function, and no 3D scanning tools/experience - there was no point of reference from which to start. Now that I have the JDGASubframe (patent pending...) figured out, I MAY try to work out how to angle it aft and have the L494 bezel work out with the console. The Upside - 2" aft. The Downside - catches crumbs from the aforementioned Biscuits... (I'm Clarkson's Fat American - we eat in our trucks)

Here is the underside of the L405 Console as I have the lever configured today.

Click image to enlarge

The JDGASubframe (patent pending...) fits under (lower in the console) the front side of the Terrain Response Module. Unfortunately there is not a lot of real estate behind the aft pegs for the spinny knob.

The #1 mandate in attempting this for me was to keep this fully reversible. If one is not constrained by that, then possibilities abound! The silver 'Range Rover' bit of plastic could be removed and the underlying substraight carefully trimmed, but that will only gain about an inch aft.

One could also go full on Mat Armstrong-cut-off-wheel-happy (https://www.youtube.com/@MatArmstrongbmx) and replace the driver's side of the console with one from an L494. (these are eBay photos... I have done ZERO cypherin' to see if that would actually work) I *think* that the Terrain Response module and EPB are the same... @Phoenix?

RE: Hiding the climate screen... You are correct. Being a bit of a 'Knob' myself, I prefer the buttons and knobs of the L322. I tolerate the 2016 climate knobs, I would not want the screen of the facelift.

I tend to keep trucks for over a decade and let the previous owner take the depreciation - by the time I am ready for a 'new' Range Rover... John Kerry and Klaus Schwab will have us riding in rickshaws whilst watching them jet/yacht all over the world to save us from ourselves. I imagine the L666 Rickshaw will be back to a less touchscreen experience.

I am certainly willing to lend any hand I can... but use this information at your own risk.
I believe the 'kids these days' call it "FAFO" 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Last edited by JDGeorgia on 19th Dec 2023 4:40am. Edited 3 times in total

Post #680633 18th Dec 2023 2:17pm
JDGeorgia

Haylands wrote:
A slight word of warning though... I'm 6'5" and I have the seat all the way back, in this position I can just reach the knob, with a stick angled forward I think I would struggle getting to it without leaning forward... This is a shot from my drivers eye view, that knob is a long way away...!!!

Also with the non original HVAC screen the stick would block a lot of it out and make it difficult to get to the dial....

Could the stick be placed further back, where the little Range Rover plaque is...???

Looking at this again... That touchscreen must be like the U of Mizzou Homecoming Queen... Pretty, but kind of Thick...

There is no room between the "D" and the screen!

In theory - I have already gained you a little room...
5mm is not much... but still
(I have the worst cell phone camera in the known universe.)

Click image to enlarge

Since I currently also own an L494 Console... I looked at the underside

Click image to enlarge

The Terrain Response/EPB mounting holes look the same, and the aft end of the cutout is radiused like the L405... but naturally there are no pegs for the spinny knob since the lever mounts in a frame on the bottom of the console... The bezel has 'hooks' that slide under the console lid and then snap into the holes in the front. If one of y'all has the 3D scanning/modelling skills - it would be something to see! 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #680645 18th Dec 2023 3:50pm
JDGeorgia

PS - if anyone is thinking about doing this and you have the original OEM Macassar interior...
Here are a couple of cup holder lids that can be used as raw material for the filler trim piece!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305294544932?mkci...media=COPY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/276072076753?mkci...media=COPY 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #680654 18th Dec 2023 4:26pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Thanks for typing all that.... I think I'll keep my big shiny knob for now.... I still like playing with it.....!!!

When I'm bored and want a change I'll fit the stick and have something to grab..... Thumbs Up Bow down Rolling with laughter Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #680656 18th Dec 2023 4:47pm
JDGeorgia

"Typing all that" seems to be what I do. Hopefully @Stan is not charging me by the word...

One thing to note - really for everyone - is that the shifter takes some getting used to!
I swap between my 2006 L322 and the L405 quite a bit. Frankly I prefer the L322, but the fuel economy of the TD6 is hard to pass up. The Mrs. and (grown) kids all prefer the L405 - it is usually shinier and doesn't have that slight smell of the dogs.

Yesterday - Dec 17 - I pulled into a clients drive to drop some boards. Pulled the trigger and 'slammed' the leaver forward like I do the L322... I was halfway out of the truck before I noticed it was rolling back down the drive in Reverse!!!
This is a pic of an L494 - I posted this on the other forum - this is the shift pattern of the L494.

The spinny knob was so far removed from the L322 that your brain automatically switched.

It will take some intentionality, and not just muscle memory, to operate this safely.

I just saw that this thread crested 10,000 views!
Of course 1/2 of them are me going back in to edit my post after catching spelling errors...
but still, 5K views are still pretty good. 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #680660 18th Dec 2023 5:04pm
JDGeorgia

Ride along with the 'finished' L494 Lever in my 2016 L405

Thanks again to everyone...

Click image to enlarge

?si=XmTIvB7tL_jW20Mj

The video is too long and too boring - but if you jump ahead to about minute 6:00 - I Passed an L405 AND a ROLES ROYCE CULLINAN - how many of y'all have ever seen one in the wild?!?!

I didn't even know they were a thing, and there is one 2 miles from my mobile home!

There should be plenty of shots of the L494 gear lever and surround.
Please leave questions or comments - so it looks like someone watches these...

I hope everyone has a Happy Christmas - JDW 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #680712 19th Dec 2023 1:29am
JDGeorgia

So a couple days older and a couple of days wiser(?).

Apparently the spinny knob has tendency to freeze up, and strand you in a parking lot (car park). Did we know this?
I took the truck by my Indy Service Center and they asked if I did the swap to get away from being stranded on the side of the road... No, Whitney... I did it for World Domination!!!

World Domination aside... apparently the weak spot in the L494 shift lever is the trigger button. More specifically the @ss end of the trigger button. There is a hinge that toggles a 'rod' that lifts a gate which depresses a contact telling the pc board to register the gear change. It only sounds Rube Goldberg-esque - because it is.
I noticed this when I was in the process of destroying the original MY14 L494 module. I took a quick look and the 'rod' seemed fine in the 2016 that is installed.
Apparently L494 guys with any mechanical ability, drive around with the 'repair kit' (an actual thing that JLR sells) and a T8 in the 'boot' just waiting for it to snap.
LR117072 - LAND ROVER GEAR SHIFT MODULE REPAIR KIT 2014-2021 RANGE ROVER SPORT
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255566633790?mkci...media=COPY
I have an extra T8 on order, and now, my own repair kit(entrails of the MY14 that I destroyed) in a Ziploc baggie in the glovebox.

I bring this up because Whitney said that they have boxes of dead L405 spinny knobs in the back...
Ellow Vickah! The 12 PIN SCAB 'connector' comes off of dead spinny knobs!

If my dudes have boxes of dead spinny knobs - then so does every other LR Service Center... It seems that one could go by and purchase a dead one for a couple of bucks and harvest the SCAB off the back! Crimp/Glue on the pins, find an L494 pigtail... (I don't really know how to contextually use "Bob's your Uncle!" but it seems like it would fit somewhere in here.) [Insert: "Bob's your Uncle!]

I thought of this after some Catfish on Red Beans & Rice at the Cajun place in front of Bear Valley.
I also met a wonderful human called Joe, who has started an artisanal Hattian Rum Brand named "Navet 1804". I am not a rumbullion guy, but the aged stuff rivals any high end Scotch or Bourbon I have enjoyed... I doubt you can find it - but if you do, snatch up a bottle or two.
I have an email in to Bear Valley to see if they would sell me a half dozen scabs or so.
This could potentially be a Kit yet! 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #680988 22nd Dec 2023 11:52pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

That's a very good idea! Thumbs Up

Post #680991 23rd Dec 2023 12:14am
JDGeorgia

Gentlemen,
I put these drawings together in hopes they help someone down the road.

Here is the 'subframe' that has the L494 bolted down to it and then the subframe is screwed UP into the original L405 mounting holes. I made mine from 4mm Baltic Birch Plywood sprayed with clear enamel spray paint to help with the ambient moisture absorption. The drawing is looking up from the bottom for a Left Hand Drive.
If you were cutting this on a scroll saw or jig saw - I don't think it matters - you cut it out and flip it over.
If you are using a CNC then it would have to be mirrored. The slotted holes are to allow front to back adjustment to fit the Veneer (shown below). I snugged them up, installed the subframe and wiggled it back and forth until the veneer filler fit - then tightened them from underneath.

Click image to enlarge

I have a separate file for the countersink on the holes - but I assume most folks do not have a CNC Mill - use a drill press, or buy longer screws.

Click image to enlarge

Here is the picture with some measurements for the Veneer V3. There is not a great way to get any measurements on this except for the outside - The black outline is 95mmX125mm - if you can print that out and those measurements are exact... then this should make a decent pattern.
I used a contour gauge and trial and error - some of you 3D scanning boys can probably do better.
I am not 100% sure that it would make a difference, but this is the view from underneath. I used an 18* bit so the filler top is the shown dimension and the bottom is 'flared' out a bit. This allowed me some room for finished sanding to get the fit as close as I could.
I cut mine from an L405 cupholder 'lid' in the same Shadow Walnut. I recommend doing it with a good quality 6mm plywood blank as practice.

Click image to enlarge

If you have questions on the dimensions, or have a CNC - I am happy to send you the g-code files - but make no warranty as to the suitability for your application.
If I get some time - I will try to see if I can put this all in a pretty little pdf. 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #684482 1st Feb 2024 12:02am
zenman63

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver

Great post and idea.

Post #685255 10th Feb 2024 1:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 11 of 11 <123 ... 91011