Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Alternative to L405 gear selector
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 11 <123 ... 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
JDGeorgia

United States 2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

Well... I took the plunge and cut the veneer out of the cupholder lid.

Click image to enlarge

On the upside - I think it fits better than the mockup!
On the downside the lacquer on the veneer seems to have cracked?!?!?! Censored Big Cry

I have enough material for one more shot at it. I may do it, but it won't be tonight...

I have to get the lights on the tree, or I will be living IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!

The Veneer top to the cupholders (as well as every other veneer in the truck) is a sammich of wood and 'aloo-min-ee-um'. Doing this ate a couple of my 18* wood bits - even with the feed rate turned way down. I need to find some metal bits. I am not sure if they make V-Bits for metal...

Also progress on the underside - but without pics - this post is kind of blase'
sorry... 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'
Rolled Yahtzee Aug 2023 222,222Miles
2016 L405 HSE TD6. Santorini Black over Almond. - 'Donna the Diesel'
Only L405 IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE with an L494 Shift Lever Fitted!
97K at purchase Sept of 2023

Post #680188 13th Dec 2023 3:00am
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

One comment I've seen is to cut / deeply score the top layers veneer prior to cutting to prevent cracks / chipping. V8 or else ...

Post #680237 13th Dec 2023 5:44pm
JDGeorgia

Not sure I am that good...

Score the front exactly right and then carve from the back. And make them line up - this sounds like something someone competent could do. Competency is not really in my job description...

I have some metal cutting bits coming tomorrow.

Based on where the cracks are, I think it was my dumbmasses that cracked it using a chisel to pop the tab I left to hold it in place...
I also think that I did not have the depth of carve set quite right. The cupholder lid has a slight crown to it, which works well because so does the entire console...
When the carving was finished, I could see the backside of the masking tape I had put on the face to protect the finish. it turns out that in some places, I was looking through the clear lacquer at the tape...

I am going to increase the depth of cut .1mm or so and reduce the width of the tab since the aluminum sammich should be strong enough to keep it steady. I will then use a Dremel cut off wheel to dislodge it from the blank.

I have assembled all the hardware and have a few adjustments to make in the subframe. We are close to being able to reassemble the truck. I am hoping it is together this weekend - I have business travel next week and want to take Donna because of the fuel economy.

But honestly - from 3 feet away with poor lighting and poor eyesight... it looks damn good! 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #680251 13th Dec 2023 9:51pm
JDGeorgia

What a long, strange trip it's been...

No pics... it is cold and late... but Donna the Diesel - only L405 in the known universe with a gear lever, is put back together. I have some errands to run tomorrow, so I will get some pics and possibly a video.

It is certainly cool... But it would be cooler if it tilted back - sigh
When the al-you-min-ee-um cutting bits come in, I will carve another shot at the filler - but it is installed from the top so I went ahead and got the ol gal put back together.

This is probably the last I will mess with it before St. Nick makes his run.

To answer the question posed so long ago... Yes, you can fit an L494 Gear Shift Lever into an L405...

It took a lot of fiddling and some (unintentionally) sacrificial parts... but honestly, this could ALMOST be made into a kit. The subframe can be made with 6mm birch plywood, a couple of drill bits and a jig saw... The hardware I ended up using was sourced from my local Ace Hardware.

Stainless sheet metal screws, some nylon spacers, and some stainless M5X30 screws/washers/nuts

The male 'scab'(the bit the L405 harness plugs into) would be difficult - unless someone can ever find a male pin holder to clip onto the existing harness in the L405. For the other end - there are plenty of junked L494's out there and if you can get the salvage yard to include the pigtail with the lever - you are in business!

The filler is a little more difficult, but if I can figure out how to get a scale drawing up - it could be used as a pattern. Cut it with a scroll saw and sand to fit - if you can find a salvaged console top or a cupholder - you have the plywood/aluminum laminate to build the filler....

Thanks to everyone for all the help and encouragement.
I love solving problems and this scratched that itch in spades.

I need to swap out my Heads Up Display... but no time soon.
I am going to enjoy driving the L405 for a while.

Keep an eye on my YouTube to see videos of Donna in action.

I hope everyone has a Very Merry (Happy) Christmas - and a Safe and Prosperous New Year - JDW 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #680266 14th Dec 2023 4:42am
JDGeorgia

A couple of pics - L494 Gear Shift Lever installed in an L405.
I think it looks fairly 'Factory' - what are your thoughts?

Click image to enlarge

You can see some spalling - I am going to leave it for now...
I have been cypherin' on maybe changing the lay-out some?!?! Apparently, I am a masochist at heart... Rolling with laughter
Someone - Gremlin500, maybe - has the tag line: "If it ain't broke, Don't fix it - where's the fun in that..."
I whole-heartedly agree, brother... whole heartedly agree.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Kind of blurry - sorry for that.

Not terrible for a fat kid from the suburbs.

It has really grown on me the past couple of days - I love the feel of a gear lever instead of the spinny knob.
The hard part about this adventure was always about keeping it 'reversible'...
Give me 2 hours and I can have this out and the Maytag Delicates Knob back in.
That being said - I can't see me going back. It just works so well.

Who is the next candidate for idiot of the month club?
c'mon - misery LOVES company! I will lend whatever help I can. 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #680437 16th Dec 2023 5:07am
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

That does look great, I don't have the skills or equipment to produce the trim finisher otherwise I'd be on the lookout for the required parts....

Post #680445 16th Dec 2023 10:21am
aljo

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

Excellent work 👍 you have gone above and beyond the call of duty Bow down Bow down

I hate the hairdressers spindly little orrible gear knob thingy with a passion 😂 but will definitely be going ahead with your gear stick conversion

I have the 2020 model Range Rover so I would expect I would need a gear stick from the same model year due the the can bus wiring ?

Only problem stopping me going ahead with this swap at present is that my vehicle is still under warranty 😂 so unfortunately will have to wait

Have a great Xmas and a happy new year 👍👍 Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where,s the f**king ceiling!!

Post #680448 16th Dec 2023 11:48am
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

Great work JD. I’d like to do it, but lack anything like your competence and craftsmanship!

Post #680452 16th Dec 2023 1:03pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i'd be reluctant to do this conversion...my wife would only use it as a handbag holder.. Very Happy ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #680456 16th Dec 2023 1:17pm
JDGeorgia

i'd be reluctant to do this conversion...my wife would only use it as a handbag holder..

@Stan - that being said - I had asked the question pages ago, but never got an answer...

When y'all 'dip into' Sport Mode (going back to the L322 and now the RRSport lever)
Do you dip it to the left like we do? Or is it always dipping to the driver's side, so yours would dip right?

Click image to enlarge

If it dips left like ours - then she would have you in constant Sport Mode! My wife thinks I am ridiculous when I put a 2 1/2 ton truck into 'sport'... How could she complain if it was her bag choosing Sport?

I guess I could google the gearshift of a RHD Sport to figure it out.

Also @Stan... If I get a chance to summarize all this in a .pdf - is there a place to put it?
Would it be gauche of me to kind of do a summary of these 10 pages into a more condensed new post?
Although there are some, no doubt, that are sick of the Full Fat Yank Whistle and probably have had enough...
Lemme know 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #680459 16th Dec 2023 2:23pm
JDGeorgia

Phoenix wrote:
That does look great, I don't have the skills or equipment to produce the trim finisher otherwise I'd be on the lookout for the required parts....

Boys, boys, boys... I got you! (This got kind of long... Sorry)
If you are truly interested in attempting this, I can either send the CNC "G-Code" and you can find some local Maker... Or find a cup holder lid in your interior color and get it shipped to me.
The 1/4" (6.35mm) Birch plywood is less than $10, as is the hardware.
I would cut you a couple of fillers and ship it back to you. (I would do my dead level best, but can't be responsible if something screws up...) You pay shipping and $25 for materials.

Something tells me you can solder. You just need the SCAB/Pin holder for the L405 (or splice directly into the harness)

This is not a pic of the final 'subframe' - this may have been version 4 or 5 of the final 6
- but it gives you an idea of what it looks like.

Here is the drawing I did that became the V6 Subframe - I am not a real machinist so I applied my cutting board skills to this and this is how it looks in my world.
Click image to enlarge

This was cut using a 1/8 endmill to a depth of 6.5mm.
The red holes are where it screws up into the existing L405 pegs (which are stronger than I initially gave them credit for) It is offset with nylon spacers or bushings. The blue slotted holes allow slight adjustment of the lever module.

This is the actual V6 subframe with the L494 lever attached. I left the stainless M5 machine screws loose and attached it from underneath, adjusted the lever fore and aft to fit the beauty ring inside the filler then added Loctite Blue to the threads and tightened it down.

Here is the layout I did for the filler
????? It does not seem to want to upload...????

This was cut from the backside with an 18* V-Bit that snapped off the point. I had the feed rate turned way down, but it was not designed to cut aluminum... It worked, but with the tip missing, it left .25mm or so of the clear lacquer which is why you see the spalling in the finished product.
I was also stupid - when I do these holder tabs in plywood, I just take a chisel and whack it to detach the part then sand down what is left. I was probably "half drunk and hollow eyed" (The Ride by David Allen Coe) when I did this - I oh so carefully set this on a piece of plywood with a towel under it as to not mess up the finish... and gave it a whack. Nice... based on the crack pattern, pretty sure that is when the lacquer cracked front to back. I am smarter now.

Now that I have a reference point... I am kind of halfway thinking about trying to do 'the tilt'!?!?
I think the front would stay about where it is, but the back would drop 20 to 30 mil or so.
The holes in the subframe would have to be angled 20* and the spacers would have to be reworked, but I am not starting from scratch. I still think the L494 in its original configuration is kind of a crumb catcher...

The other thought stems from something Phoenix said 5 pages back... Pop the silver Range Rover piece out and have the filler go over the substrate wood. You could then move the lever back about 10mm and still have filler on the back. It would be kind of a giant sea of shadow walnut, unless you milled in a spot to put the silver piece in front (still all reversible).

This got kind of long... sorry for that, but I think better when I am writing. Plus this is a nice repository to go back to and see what the hell it was I was thinking...
JDW 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #680462 16th Dec 2023 3:29pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

JDGeorgia wrote:
I had asked the question pages ago, but never got an answer...

When y'all 'dip into' Sport Mode (going back to the L322 and now the RRSport lever)
Do you dip it to the left like we do? Or is it always dipping to the driver's side, so yours would dip right?

Sorry mate, I must've missed that - 'sports mode' is pushed to the left on UK models, TBH I think all vehicles are the same, whichever side the driver sits.

Click image to enlarge

Post #680465 16th Dec 2023 3:40pm
JDGeorgia

@Phoenix - Hey now... are you assembling parts, despite what you said?!?!?!
That looks like an L494 lever just waiting for a home in an L405!

Do it! All the cool kids are... 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #680469 16th Dec 2023 4:06pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

That's just a random eBay photo - I saw one a while ago with the mounting plate for not a lot of money, It's gone now....

ETA - you're possibly going to hate me for this.... the L550 shifter looks a lot easier to integrate, haven't checked it electrically yet though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175334394577

Forget that, the electrical architecture is different, it'd electrically connect up but be talking the electrical equivalent of Swahili - and being answered in Japanese.....

Post #680470 16th Dec 2023 4:13pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

JDGeorgia wrote:
@Phoenix - Hey now... are you assembling parts, despite what you said?!?!?!
That looks like an L494 lever just waiting for a home in an L405!

Do it! All the cool kids are...

Hmm... I need to get Christmas & a house purchase out of the way first, I'll think it over in the meantime and maybe build up a stock of parts if I come across them cheap enough.

Post #680473 16th Dec 2023 4:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 10 of 11 <123 ... 91011>