40%
 40%  [9]
Total Votes: 22

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

I didn't extend the warranty and don't intend to. Partly for the reasons given by MPx, but also when I was offered two sorts of LR warranties on my second 322 there were claim limits which I thought made them of doubtful value. From memory one had an individual claim limit of £3000, which means the real reason for having the warranty, i.e. the catastrophic failure, would not be covered.

Also I was really Censored off at the LR refusal to honour the corrosion warranty on my 2012 322 wheel arches at under 2yo so resolved they could stuff it. That car over two years (3 - 5yo) needed a starter motor (say £600) so I was much better off paying for that myself than paying for two years of warranty at (then) maybe £2,500.

My L405 is five at end Jan '23 and so far I have had to replace the front ARC bushes (£242) (is that even a warranty item or just wear and tear?) so much better than two years of warranty (£3000?) But of course there is the risk of catastrophic failure and I'd be sorry if that happened.

In general my 322/405 RR experience has been that they tend to have quite a few teething problems during the initial three year period, then year four is OK and in year five one gets a few issues. After that, especially from year seven, one has to stand by for more trouble, not necessarily huge bills, but it can be "there's aye something" and there does tend to be a fear of having to sell the car for a pittance because the repair is uneconomic if one cannot DIY, as happened with my first 322 (knackered engine 97,000 miles).

So it's maybe more of a concern in the current climate when one can't readily get a new car when one gets fed up with the old one's problems, or one has to buy a non-ideal spec at a huge premium to the new price, not attractive either.

Fingers crossed... Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #651305 20th Dec 2022 9:43pm
Martin2

England 

Full warranty, which I’ve just extended. I wouldn’t run any similar priced / complex car without one.

Working off the law of sod, paying for a warranty means it won’t go wrong, so it’s worth it for the lack of hassle! MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #651316 20th Dec 2022 10:28pm
LT

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Tinman wrote:
I have the full LR extended same as Stan.

I’m the same, with LRA which I’ve found to be invaluable at times over the past 16 years.

One local LRA technician even had his own mug at my office!

Post #651318 20th Dec 2022 10:41pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

I haven't got a warranty and I don't intend to get one. As an avid DIYer, it would be completely cost prohibitive for me and would not make economic sense. Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #651320 20th Dec 2022 11:07pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

Full LR warranty here too, just in case. I did ponder not renewing this time as the current car has been faultless in 4 years ownership, unlike the L322 before where there was a claim in each year of ownership. As my car is now 7 years old issues are likely to emerge and I’d rather have the reassurance of knowing I’m covered. Fully recognise how insurance works too, its about pricing risk and to me paying a premium to cover the risk of a big bill is worth it

Post #651329 21st Dec 2022 8:04am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Mine came with the remainder of the JLR full extended warranty, assistance and MOT cover which runs out in March, I am also in two minds about renewing it, the knowledge of someone else getting their hands dirty AND picking up the bill is very tempting, but the price is not cheap...

Has anyone had success in haggling on the renewal price of the JLR warranty....?? Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #651341 21st Dec 2022 10:40am
caymanblack

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

knwatkins wrote:
I haven't got a warranty and I don't intend to get one. As an avid DIYer, it would be completely cost prohibitive for me and would not make economic sense.

My came with some sort of warranty for six months but as I do very few miles I don't think I will bother and definitely not the LR one.
As we have Kev here I feel more relaxed. Wink overfinch modified

Post #651343 21st Dec 2022 10:57am
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey
MotorEasy Plan “A” - What’s covered?

Hi, thought I’d post this, as a few asked about it, this is the “A” Plan:

The full “A” plan also includes parts & labour associated with an MOT failure.

Please note that I am NOT specifically recommending MotorEasy, only providing information to others to allow them to make their own minds up. Thumbs Up “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #651348 21st Dec 2022 11:27am
Haylands

Just a few observations...

Says everything electrical then excludes anything connected to a window...!!!

Oil seals that need the removal of engine, box or final drive, so that's just about every oil seal not covered, 95% of them "can" be changed without this and fattys like to leak...

Hoses and pipes not covered.... that could be an awful lot of faults, more specifically the adaptive antiroll bars pipes which cost around £7,000 to replace at a dealer when the mild steel they are made from fails....

I'm not having a go, maybe they are one of the best but there is an awful lot of wiggle room on their part to prevent them settling a claim...

Like I say I'm in the process of looking for a good one myself, so lots of reading and research needed.... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #651353 21st Dec 2022 11:51am
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Haylands wrote:
anyone had success in haggling on the renewal price of the JLR warranty....??

Don’t think you can Pete, although I’ve never tried (that warranty is supplied by Car Care Plan). I have, at the point of approved used sale, haggled and got another 6 to 12 months warranty but I think those days are probably waning now too.

We have always paid for the LR Extended warranty when the approved used LR warranty ends; and have been doing so since first buying an approved used LR in 2006 Shocked

It’s only just starting to grate at me that £158/ month over 10 months (less breakdown cover) for the warranty is quite a lot. That said, we’ve always been served well by the warranty and it’s probably balanced itself out over the years.

I am tempted by the MotorEasy one which is about half the price but… I can see your very technical points made above…

You pays your money and all that…

Post #651355 21st Dec 2022 12:09pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

@Pete:

Of course oil seals, and hoses are all rubber, therefore perishable, and we are talking cars which are already a few years old.
The important ones ARE covered, i.e. those that cost a lot of money to replace, i.e. engine/gearbox out job.
Same applies to drive belts, I would imagine all other warranties are similar, I don’t think there is such a thing as an “iron clad” warranty for a used vehicle, and if there was, the monthly cost would be prohibitive. It’s all about protection from the most expensive catastrophic failures and heftiest bills, a compromise in other words.

If you do expect that level of cover folks, just buy new every 3 years Rolling with laughter

Best of luck with your search, Pete! Thumbs Up “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #651356 21st Dec 2022 12:15pm
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

I bought my Rangie from a VW dealership and they said it cost them a lot to put a warranty on it.
The steering rack was replaced with no questions because it had a leak.
They did not want to change the top turbo hose because it was called a 'Hose' but they did in the end because the seal inside had failed and not the hose itself.
I think it's a lottery as to what is covered by different insurers.

Post #651360 21st Dec 2022 12:48pm
Haylands

I'm sure Motor easy are as good as the next, I asked for a quote yesterday and it has already dropped £300 by this mornings email... lets see what happens...

I've got 4 months so will do some reading and see which one I think is best for me, or not bother...!

Seems one of those decisions where there is no right and wrong, it's down to whatever you feel happy with... Thumbs Up Pete

Post #651361 21st Dec 2022 1:12pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Emailed MotorEasy (ME). Asked them to highlight to me the difference between their £80/ month offered Plan B warranty (their best for our particular L405) compared with our ongoing LR Extended Warranty @ £158.40/ month over 10 months - the two warranty plans, on the face of it, do read similar and comprehensive (proof read both of them ‘side by side’) so trying to make sure haven’t misread it in a rose tinted spectacles way.

Amongst my other questions to ME - I’ve read they will pay up to £60/ hour labour and yet when they rang me, they said no problem to have any warranty work they approve of done at an LR main dealer (don’t know any LR main dealers who offer £60/ hour labour, or less).

Response pending - very much would like them to reassure and give me the trust and confidence to try ME out… update to follow Thumbs Up

Post #652468 3rd Jan 2023 9:05pm
Haylands

Looking forward to the reply... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Pete

Post #652471 3rd Jan 2023 10:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>