Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Auxilary Heater FFBH Fuel Pump info and pics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
fenair

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Causeway Grey
Auxilary Heater FFBH Fuel Pump info and pics

Afternoon all, i have had a fault code relating to the FFBH dosing pump or fuel pump for the aux heater whatever you want to call it .. the fault was dosing pump open circuit / short to ground ( depending on when i scanned it with IID Tool) so i asked on here about its location, there was some advice offerd and some images of the parts location from one i saw looked like topix, the general suggestion was it was rear wheel arch floor box chanel under the rear seat wheel arch / inner cill UK drivers side, mine has depoyable side steps so makes life difficult to see anything as you lift the car up on the step arms, to get the plastic cill cover off requires the steps out , so only way other than unbolt the tread plate ( steel in ali ... nah forget it) from the arms was to use a set of old fashined ramps, anyway stripped and not there, nowhere to be seen, can see the fuel pipe, then looking about up the side of the fuel tank following the pipe i spotted a female twin terminal plug just loose by the top of the tank.. so its hidden on top of the tank (under the rear seat floor pan), so slap all the plastic trim back on from the cill and under floor, drop the car off the ramps, get the back seat out.

Now this is reasonably easy once you find the two white sockets that clip the seat base to the frame, on top of the white sockets is a black leaver, your push / pull the leavers and pul up the seat base ( squab) at the same time to remove the cushion, then you have a couple of bits of plastic finishers on the base of the frame and around the seat belt clasp to pull off, at the front 2 x 8mm hex socket bolts and at the rear 2 x 10mm ones, remove these and lift the seat out of the way, there is enough wire so you dont need to disconnect anything. You will see the cut out in the carpet, lift that up, and then lift up the soundproofing, to reveal the acess grommet for the fuel tank pump, pull that up and you will see a grey plug, this is the connection for the FFBH pump, look forward and the pump is bolted to the seat floor pan support / cross member .

Now i have to say on mine, i was surprised, as i clearly could see the actual FFBH in the engine bay, i couldnt never get it to work, the car has heated / cooled / massage seats, heated steering wheel, but the FFBH never ran and in winter last year was a nightmare as you went 10 miles before you got heat, so with the fault code i thought in advance and bought a new pump so i only had to cut my hands and arms to shreads once to do the replacment, however i have bought a new pump for no reason, as looking at the build sheet the original 1st owner didnt request a FFBH! but its fitted!! so my assumption was that the build sheet was incorrectly compiled, as its there for all to see, but it appears LR fit about £300 worth of FFBH weaather you have the box ticked or not, if you dont then they dont connect the fuel pump cable to the harness!!

I connected the loose wire dangling by the tank side to the vacant plug, using IID tool i activated Timed climate in the CCF, this gave me the onscreen icon, pressing the timed climate, then manual heat started the system, i heard about 5 slow clicks from the pump but nothing and then the orange manual heat went grey.

With Gap IID tool there is not facility to prime the FFBH fuel pump ( there has been on the last 3 discos but not this sdv8, not happy) however as i am loosley connected to the motor trade i have a lad in the next unit who is full on mot / servicing etc, he has a whistles and bells Autel diagnostic system, i went and borrowed it, scanned and same faults, it took a bit of time, but under programming there is the facility to prime the FFBH pump, so initated the sequance and pleanty of high speed clicks from the pump then the smell of diesel, sequence compleate, next you run a Auxilary heater check which takes 900 seconds where it fires up the FFBH and runs it and clears the fault codes etc, so the shop is full of white smoke but activity, sequence compleated, i then activated timed climeate and manual heat, result FFBH runs and heats the car.

So word to the wise, if your tale is like mine, get the rear seat out and check to see if you are connected, you will need something better than iid tool if its like mine as you wont be able to prime the FFBH so it will not pump into the burner.

I hope this helps someone..

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

SDV8 2015

Post #651551 23rd Dec 2022 3:45pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Glad it's sorted for you, do you have the full beta programme from Gap for the IID, loads of extras options not on the standard programme..... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #651560 23rd Dec 2022 6:13pm
fenair

I must admit I'm unsure about the iid tool, how do I get the beta version?
Regards pat SDV8 2015

Post #651561 23rd Dec 2022 6:16pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

You were lucky neither pairs of connections had corroded!

Post #651564 23rd Dec 2022 7:07pm
fenair

Yeah, i gave them a good squirt of contact cleaner before fitting, the fact it worked i left as was, its not to big a job to get to them now i have done it once, less than 3 minutes if you are using a battery wrench on the socket head bolts. Laughing SDV8 2015

Post #651566 23rd Dec 2022 7:17pm
fenair

Haylands wrote:
Glad it's sorted for you, do you have the full beta programme from Gap for the IID, loads of extras options not on the standard programme..... Thumbs Up

Updated reader tool and app , its been ages since i last plugged it in on this car ( be a year ago,) more stuff availabe now its updated , cheers SDV8 2015

Post #651567 23rd Dec 2022 7:18pm
Haylands

fenair wrote:
I must admit I'm unsure about the iid tool, how do I get the beta version?
Regards pat

Sent an email to Pat at gapteam@gap-diagnostic.com Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #651568 23rd Dec 2022 7:20pm
fenair

Yes i will, just updated and checked still no facility to prime or run the FFBH as there was with the shop next door's Autel, bit bad really as its a thing that needs to be done, hardly " dealer Level" Thumbs Up SDV8 2015

Post #651571 23rd Dec 2022 7:50pm
Haylands

You are just updating what's already there, if you get the beta version from Gap it has many, many more things you can do, most of them have not been fully checked by Gap, hence they don't let you have it unless you ask for it... Thumbs Up Pete

Post #651579 23rd Dec 2022 11:44pm
marshallc

United States 2016 Range Rover HSE TDV6 Fuji White

Do you have any pics of the fuel line routing under the vehicle/under the sill? I have a 2016 US spec tdv6, it has a heater but no fuel line to it. I am going to pull the seat to look for wiring/aux pump but was curious as to routing.

Post #651646 26th Dec 2022 2:23am
mlambton

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Interesting as i had a similar experience. I purchased my 2015 AB from a MD. After a couple of months it was clear the FBH did not activate though the timed heating options were available to set on the main display. I purchased an IID tool which showed an open circuit on the fuel pump for the FBH.

It wend back to landrover under warranty. To access this unit the rear seat is removed where the plug connections are revealed. The engineer found that the heater was physically disconnected not loose but unplugged (hence the open circuit). The unit was re-connected and tested and the heater now works as it should.

Similar cause but different circumstances. I dont think my FBH had ever been used since new! 2015 Range Rover L405 SDV8 AB Corris grey
2010 Range Rover TDV6 HSE Narra Bronze sold
2006 Discovery 3 SE green sold
Defender 90 td5 sold
Defender 90 soft top sold

Post #652045 30th Dec 2022 2:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1