Home > General (L405) > SDV6 vs Tdv6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Steve144

United Kingdom 
SDV6 vs Tdv6

Hi all,

Looking to buy a 2018 facelift model L405. I have test driven an SDV6 which was lovely, plenty of power and very smooth.

I’ve seen a very high spec VSE that I like the look of but it’s a Tdv6. Am I likely to notice the difference between the two in how they drive?

I know the Tdv6 is slightly down on power but is it noticeable? I’ve also read of owner’s mentioning a hesitation on either pulling away from standstill or when using kickdown when overtaking, is this the case? I’ve heard the SDV6 cures that issue if it actually exists but not sure if that’s correct.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Steve

Post #658687 6th Mar 2023 9:33pm
IGP

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Siberian Silver

According to this page the TDV6 is on a par with the SDV6

Ivan 2013 Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Luxury

Post #658721 7th Mar 2023 9:50am
Chalky

United Kingdom 

I've had both engines and not much difference, the SDV6 is more "tuned" and although I've never had problems, they say (whoever they might be!!) the SD is more prone to crankshaft issues.

They both have a slight lag on takeoff and this really wasn't cured totally (with updates), until the MHEV D300 which has none at all, and goes like the proverbial off a shovel Thumbs Up All LR cars from 1984
2021.5 Vogue SE D300 Carpathian Grey
2018 Vogue SE British Racing Green GONE

Post #658741 7th Mar 2023 12:50pm
Kot

United Kingdom 
Re: SDV6 vs Tdv6

Steve144 wrote:
Hi all,

Looking to buy a 2018 facelift model L405. I have test driven an SDV6 which was lovely, plenty of power and very smooth.

I’ve seen a very high spec VSE that I like the look of but it’s a Tdv6. Am I likely to notice the difference between the two in how they drive?

I know the Tdv6 is slightly down on power but is it noticeable? I’ve also read of owner’s mentioning a hesitation on either pulling away from standstill or when using kickdown when overtaking, is this the case? I’ve heard the SDV6 cures that issue if it actually exists but not sure if that’s correct.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Steve

SDV8 Thumbs Up 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #658744 7th Mar 2023 12:59pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

^ this - if you are spending that much - just have done with it and buy the V8 - it’s not that much more 😊 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #658796 7th Mar 2023 8:41pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

I’m intrigued by this, as I hitherto never realised there were 2 versions of the ahem, “TTV6D” coexisting at the same time, you learn something every day! Embarassed
So, there wasn’t a point where one was introduced, and the other discontinued, or is that wrong?
There doesn’t seem that much between them to warrant marketing them as 2 different power levels, or the SDV6 as being much of an “upgrade”, from a marketing tool point of view, so I wonder, why did they bother, in this world of remaps, etc? Forgive my ignorance, is the SDV6 just a remapped version of the same engine, or are there some more tangible differences? Interesting to find out the answers! “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #658800 7th Mar 2023 9:01pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Gremlin
I asked a similar question to retailer support, regarding the difference between TDV8 and SDV8 (facelift) as I was asking what the difference was as Topix showed same WSM for engine. reply below from retailer support April 2021. I guess its a marketing ploy as SDVx etc sounds newer and better Rolling with laughter

below is the update from team:

Thank you for your feedback

We have confirmed that TDV8 and SDV8 are different gens/spec of the same engine.

In our internal system (and TOPIx) all are referred to as TDV8 so the WSM is the same both.

The R&I manual is correct for your engine.
 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #658804 7th Mar 2023 9:26pm
Gremlin500

Thanks Kot,

Ah, so possibly just a remap by JLR? Much cheaper than them having to bother with a brand new engine just for a facelift Rolling with laughter

So the SDV6 it’s from 2018 onwards, then?

Good to hear any more info, I don’t need any more power and wouldn’t even think about a remap for my “lowly” TDV6, getting to the age when hopefully my last speeding ticket is behind me Laughing “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #658806 7th Mar 2023 9:35pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

The engines are the same, gents. It is just mapping tweeks.

Interestingly, on the old model L320 Sport, the nomenclature 'TDV6' was retired in 2011 when they mated the engine to the 8 speed ZF box. From late 2011 onwards 'SDV6' was used for the L320 and then the L494 when it was launched in 2013.

The above is the same w.r.t. the L319 Discovery 4. 'SDV6' has been used since 2011.

Then, with the introduction of the L405 in 2012, it's odd why they decided to transition from 'TDV8' to 'SDV8' but decided to use 'TDV6' for the 6 cylinder engine. I'm sure there is a method in the madness somewhere. Mind you, it is JLR... Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #658808 7th Mar 2023 10:01pm
Steve144

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the replies.

So it sounds like there really isn’t much difference between them, good to hear.

I’m not adverse to a SDV8 if the right colour and spec comes up. Doing 20-25k miles a year, the extra mpg of the 3.0 would be nice but certainly not a deciding factor.

Will hopefully be a new owner soon Very Happy

Post #658809 7th Mar 2023 10:04pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Having had vehicles with both engines Steve, there is a night and day difference between the V6 and V8 diesel engines in terms of power delivery.

The best thing to do is to test drive both and then make an informed decision based on your circumstances and what is right for you.

Good luck with the search Thumbs Up Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #658811 7th Mar 2023 10:13pm
Gremlin500

Typical cheapskate JLR, they didn’t even stretch to giving new owners an “SDV6” badge, having spent all the budget on a remap! Rolling with laughter

OP: Good luck in your search, I for one feel the V6 diesel is a good match for the serene nature of the car, very quiet with smooth delivery and adequate power when needed, with much better economy if that’s important to you, but each to his own of course. Thumbs Up “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #658812 7th Mar 2023 10:39pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

A BIG factor you may not have researched is the V8 gets active roll control. The V6 does not! You may find passengers getting motion sickness in the V6. This I've heard MANY times from customers... Sons/daughters or grandkids...

Oh and the V8 is the way to go if you worry about what iff's? I sold our D4 3.0 because I just found the worry about the crankshaft issues ruined the ownership experience... Thumbs Up

Post #658827 8th Mar 2023 12:32am
Steve144

United Kingdom 

Hi Criag,

I think on the 2018 facelift models both the V6 and V8 have the same set up......both have the Dynamic setting through the screen.

I could be wrong though so happy to be corrected! Thumbs Up

Post #658841 8th Mar 2023 9:44am
Gremlin500

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
A BIG factor you may not have researched is the V8 gets active roll control. The V6 does not! You may find passengers getting motion sickness in the V6. This I've heard MANY times from customers... Sons/daughters or grandkids...

Oh and the V8 is the way to go if you worry about what iff's? I sold our D4 3.0 because I just found the worry about the crankshaft issues ruined the ownership experience... Thumbs Up

Au contraire, in fact the “Adaptive Dynamics” system on the V8’s IS yet another “what if?”.
Complex network of hydraulic pipes with virtually no corrosion protection, running through difficult-to-access areas. It’s not even a what if, its a “when” so in fact a possible reason to avoid the system if your budget doesn’t run to complex repairs, read this:

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic62477.html

The V6 engine is much lighter than the V8’s by a significant amount, so the vehicle is not so “nose heavy” kids will chuck up in any car, therefore should never be transported in your lovely FFRR Whistle “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #658854 8th Mar 2023 11:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>