Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 4.4 tdv8 started smoking.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Thumbs Up

Post #668458 5th Jul 2023 9:51pm
jaguar3

Estonia 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

AJGalaxy2012 wrote:

Previously before the drain mod it would poured out thick blue smoke, the engine pinking and visibility at the back zero, you couldn't see the car behind.

Ou, so much smoke?
With mine there was just a littlebit smoke and only in the sommer. Drain mode didnt solve the issue at all unfortunately.

Post #668471 6th Jul 2023 8:20am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

AJGalaxy2012 wrote:
jaguar3 wrote:

JLR make drain mode, but it not solve the problem compleatly. They need to make right turbo drain mode as well in this case, but they didnt. .

The drain mod definitely did resolve the issue completely with mine, I even had my son drive behind me for 20 miles or so really steady, when I booted it no smoke at all. Previously before the drain mod it would poured out thick blue smoke, the engine pinking and visibility at the back zero, you couldn't see the car behind.
Green Oval were fully conversant with the mod, assured me it would resolve the issue and they were really confident and as it turned out, they were right.

I'd say you had a more serious problem than usual and possibly a seriously blocked 2nd turbo drain hose to explain how oil was forced passed the compressor side oil retaining rings and into the intake side of the engine 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #668476 6th Jul 2023 8:55am
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Surely the pressure from the oil way is the same at both ends of the turbo shaft and therefore the likelihood of it being pushed out of the seals be equal?
The turbos were given a clean bill of health when the work was done. The mod was released by JLR to cure this problem, I don’t see why some people seem to doubt that the cause was correctly identified and the solution affects a cure. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #668478 6th Jul 2023 9:05am
JayGee

Turbo drain hoses are large diameter to offer no resistance to flow. Turbo oil seals are not really 'seals' but oil control rings that will leak a bit of oil in normal use but a lot of oil if the drain hose is blocked or the seals are worn due to oil starvation or contamination. In normal use the positive pressure on the intake side also helps retain the oil on the intake side. The fact that you had blue smoke and a change in engine behaviour says this was not a normal example of this common 4.4 V8 problem. For almost everyone else it's grey / white smoke that doesn't change engine behaviour as it's just oil dribbling out of the exhaust side of the 2nd turbo and being vapourised in the hot exhaust when the 2nd turbo is used. If you now have a free flowing turbo drain then it's fixed. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #668479 6th Jul 2023 9:31am
Ennoch

AJGalaxy2012 wrote:

Surely the pressure from the oil way is the same at both ends of the turbo shaft and therefore the likelihood of it being pushed out of the seals be equal?
The turbos were given a clean bill of health when the work was done. The mod was released by JLR to cure this problem, I don’t see why some people seem to doubt that the cause was correctly identified and the solution affects a cure.

I can't comment on this particular instance, but manufacturers are not exactly what I would call perfect in resolving issues (and that's being polite). How many V6 Diesel engine failures have there been? How any Ingenium engine failures have there been? How many issues crop up time and time again in Land Rover products? The resolution they came up with will have been a balance of cost to engineer, cost to install, and also whether the solution is even retrofittable to an engine without removal and partial strip down. In this case they've created an additional drain, but one thing to remember is that on the L405 gen 4.4 the pipe is different. I have no way of knowing whether this was down to cost, trying to fit the pipe in in situ, or indeed anything else, but it seems that some cars still smoke with the 'fix' while the L405's don't seem to suffer at all. That leads me to suspect that there were other things changed, either incidentally or intentionally, rather than it just being a pipe.

I have seen so many issues with engines and other car parts over the years where the manufacturer has absolutely not correctly identified the cause correctly, or if they have the modification has been done on the cheap to just get the car out of its warranty period. That is not the same as designing it properly from the ground up because very few manufacturers are going to stomach a £5k bill to strip something down and do a fix properly. It's always a balance of competing priorities and cost is a big one.

Post #668480 6th Jul 2023 9:35am
AJGalaxy2012

JayGee wrote:
Turbo drain hoses are large diameter to offer no resistance to flow. Turbo oil seals are not really 'seals' but oil control rings that will leak a bit of oil in normal use but a lot of oil if the drain hose is blocked or the seals are worn due to oil starvation or contamination. In normal use the positive pressure on the intake side also helps retain the oil on the intake side. The fact that you had blue smoke and a change in engine behaviour says this was not a normal example of this common 4.4 V8 problem. For almost everyone else it's grey / white smoke that doesn't change engine behaviour as it's just oil dribbling out of the exhaust side of the 2nd turbo and being vapourised in the hot exhaust when the 2nd turbo is used. If you now have a free flowing turbo drain then it's fixed.

Yep, fully understand about back pressure and oil control ring / seals. You suggest that the issue I had was not as a result of the turbo drain mod but a different problem of a blocked hose, my question is how do you explain the turbo suddenly deciding to dump the oil into the inlet rather than exhaust side which you claim is the most likely? BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #668487 6th Jul 2023 11:43am
JayGee

The only route to the intake for oil is through the compressor side oil seal. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #668490 6th Jul 2023 12:05pm
AJGalaxy2012

Just as the only route to the exhaust side is through the turbine side oil seal, I dont see what point youre making?

Kevip said it was blue/black smoke and a rattling noise at the same time, thats exactly what I had which I assumed was preignition due to incorrect and uncalculated fuel being enetered (engine oil) and the blue smoke meaning it had gone through the combustion process i.e. the intake side.

It was repeatable on mine, driving 10 miles at less than 2000 rpm would make a very effective smoke screen for about 20 seconds or so when you booted it for the first time. BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #668500 6th Jul 2023 2:55pm
JayGee

Your turbo seals were likley leaking more than usual if it's happening after only 10 miles of driving. Either the seals were worn more than normal or the return drain was blocked more than normal (as I suggested earlier) - either way a free flowing turbo oil return to the sump will cure it. Pre-ignition doesn't happen on a diesel engine in the conventional sense as all combustion is compression induced but excessive oil may create a different combustion point in the stroke? Most people just see the occasional white/grey smoke after a while of not using the 2nd turbo for a while - days, weeks or even months. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #668505 6th Jul 2023 3:21pm
jaguar3

Estonia 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

AJGalaxy2012 wrote:

It was repeatable on mine, driving 10 miles at less than 2000 rpm would make a very effective smoke screen for about 20 seconds or so when you booted it for the first time.

Same here, but what mean "very effective smoke screen"? I have puff of smoke after apr. same distance, but I can`t say its "very efective". Its just a puff, detectable from mirrors, but when its windy its not even detectable. And during winter time no smoke at all.
Drain mode done, no result.

Strange thing is why there is no smoke in winter time?
1. Oil viscousity thicker? Maybe scavange pump is more effective with thicker oil.
2. Exhaust pipes colder? In case if leakage is from the hot-side of turbocharger.
3. Oil evaporation not effective in cold? In case if leakage is from the cold-side of turbocharger, oil vapors are not able to pass cold intercooler.
4. Oil level littlebit lower due cold? Need to remember, drain mode drilled hole is very close to oil level, its mabe even below the oil level. In this case drain can not be effective. New type of sumps with factory drain mode have drain hole higher.

Need to make a test, keep the oil level close to minimum and see what happend.

Post #668633 8th Jul 2023 9:27am
JayGee

Again maybe try 5w-40 in the summer esp on a high mileage engine. Same cold starting viscosity but will be slightly thicker when hot if low idle speed is creating insufficient pump suction. Also worth noting that not all oils of the same grade have the same viscosity and I seem to remember back in the day that Mobil 1 0w-40 was closer to a 30 grade. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #668636 8th Jul 2023 10:20am
AJGalaxy2012

jaguar3 wrote:

Same here, but what mean "very effective smoke screen"?

Mine would leave a lot of smoke behind for a few seconds (15 or so). The smoke was dense, other drivers would brake / drop back from behind me.

Quote:

I have puff of smoke after apr. same distance, but I can`t say its "very efective". Its just a puff, detectable from mirrors, but when its windy its not even detectable. And during winter time no smoke at all.
Drain mode done, no result.

Must be a different issue?

Quote:

Strange thing is why there is no smoke in winter time?
1. Oil viscousity thicker? Maybe scavange pump is more effective with thicker oil.
2. Exhaust pipes colder? In case if leakage is from the hot-side of turbocharger.
3. Oil evaporation not effective in cold? In case if leakage is from the cold-side of turbocharger, oil vapors are not able to pass cold intercooler.

Yes they can, there is at least one TDV8 on here thats had runaway due to turbo issues, the oil vapours managed to get through the intercooler. BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #668668 8th Jul 2023 3:25pm
JayGee

Do you have a link to the thread for the runaway TDV8? - was it the 4.4 or 3.6? 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #668674 8th Jul 2023 5:37pm
AJGalaxy2012

From what I can remember, I think it was a 405 and the guy was actually on honeymoon in Scotland when his car destroyed itself. I believe JLR paid for the repairs that were North of £26,000.

Found it:-

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic48947.html?highlight=runaway[/url] BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #668682 8th Jul 2023 7:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>