Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L460 2022) > P440e Efficiency
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Yousif

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I've been running my P440e for two months now on the daily commute, 20.4 miles each way. The range has settled down to an indicated 53 miles and this is accurate as I always seem to have around 13 miles left on the indicated range when I get home. This is a fast commute for 15 miles (60-75mph) followed by 5 miles of slow stop start traffic. The outside temperature doesn't seem to have affected the range much so far but I'd expect it to go up a little as the weather turns warmer.

Yes the range of the FFRR EV will be interesting to watch. They'll save weight on not having an engine but add it back in battery so I guess it will still have to be a little heaver than the PHEVs assuming they put at least a 100Kw/h battery array in and may struggle to top 200-250mile real world range. And then there's the price...

Post #664153 15th May 2023 9:57am
FastLaneJB

United Kingdom 

I think it'll need a bigger than a 100kWh battery to get any meaningful range as a full EV. As you say the engine goes but the extra battery is going to make it heavier.

If we assume say 60 miles range and usable 32kWh of battery you'd need over 4 times the capacity to get to 250 miles so we are talking around 128kWh. Add in some unused capacity in the battery and I suspect they'll want close to 150kWh of battery to make this usable or they'll need to improve the efficency with the drag co-efficent being the key one. Most EV SUV's sit much lower to the road to improve efficency.

Ultimately these types of cars just aren't all that suited to being an efficent, long range EV. The electric hummer has over a 200kWh battery so doesn't seem unreasonable that the RR will need 150kWh I think.

Post #664167 15th May 2023 1:28pm
d3rm0

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver

The EV Hummer weighs 4700kg Shocked

Post #664169 15th May 2023 2:40pm
FastLaneJB

United Kingdom 

Hummer was always heavy, even in ICE form. I think thought as battery density has improved they can get more power in the same weight. So maybe it's possible for instance to do 150kWh now in weight of 100kWh when Tesla released the Model S / X for instance with those battery types.

Not sure I fancy it to be honest. My wife has a Model 3 but not sure ready for both our cars to be EV's. The 600 mile range of my diesel Disco is just nice. What range can you get on the P440e Range Rover with a full tank of fuel and a full battery also?

Post #664170 15th May 2023 3:11pm
Yousif

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

The total range of the P440e is coincidentally around 440miles by my reckoning. That's using the 32.8kw/h battery capacity combined with 70l petrol. I've done a few 240ish mile motorway trips non stop and get around 42mpg indicated but on a longer trip that would drop and its the wrong car for frequent very long journeys. What is very clever is if you use the car's satnav (not CarPlay) in hybrid mode it manages the use of EV juice and always seems to end up at the destination fully used up.

Post #664173 15th May 2023 5:23pm
FastLaneJB

United Kingdom 

Yes makes sense. The diesel would probably be not far off those numbers on a longer trip and have a longer range but it'll struggle a lot more on shorter trips where the PHEV will shine.

Shame they aren't doing a diesel PHEV, only Mercedes is doing this though I think if I want a diesel Range Rover only have until 2025 roughly to get it as they are killing it off then? Or is that just new models will no longer come with diesel I wonder.

Post #664176 15th May 2023 5:56pm
RDR

United Kingdom 

Quick update on my experience so far, it seems to be working out as planned for our use case. It’s now got 2400 miles on the clock and I just filled the tank for the second time. Charging is all at home on off peak or renewable. I find EV mode fine but for back lanes and motorways hybrid better so you have the power ready if you need it. Dynamic mode is decent if you’re in the mood. MY23 PHEV HSE
MY19 Disco 5 HSE - gone
My16 Disco 4 HSE LUXURY - gone
My12 Disco 4 HSE - gone
MY05 Disco 3 S - gone but not forgotten

Post #664718 22nd May 2023 7:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12