Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L460 2022) > P440e Efficiency
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
RDR

United Kingdom 
P440e Efficiency

I’m a few weeks into ownership and at 50% of my first tank of petrol having traveled 598 miles. I estimate 80% of this was in hybrid mode not EV. I decided to let it do its thing.

So far I’m pleasantly surprised how the 440e is working out, this is the family/dog car and will do about 1k miles a month of relatively short trips.

The hybrid mode is pretty smart and seems to balance the power sources well, the few longer runs have achieved over 100mpg. What I would say is it’s better if you use the Land Rover sat nav, it then plans energy use for the journey. I compared the same 40mile journey with LR and CarPlay nav and the MPG was 30 less with Car Play.

It won’t be good for everyone and depends on infrastructure available but I think it was the right choice for my use case. MY23 PHEV HSE
MY19 Disco 5 HSE - gone
My16 Disco 4 HSE LUXURY - gone
My12 Disco 4 HSE - gone
MY05 Disco 3 S - gone but not forgotten

Post #661656 12th Apr 2023 8:25am
Yousif

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Interesting, thanks RDR. I've just completed 1500miles in one month of taking delivery of my p440e HSE. The overall MPG is showing 65mpg so far. That's with around 700 miles in hybrid, the rest shorter journeys in full EV mode. On a long run of 200miles in hybrid its showed 41.5mpg using the JLR sat nav to plan use of the battery which I think is pretty good considering its a fair old lump. I found the battery drained around the 150-175miles mark if I recall and it was on full petrol by then with just mild hybrid retained for slow starts

Of course the mpg figures are misleading as you are still paying for the electricity and this is not taken into account in the MPG figures.

The EV range seems to have settled to about 53 miles real world and I expect this to climb as the weather gets warmer.

Very pleased with it so far and it definitely suits my car use patterns really well (40 mile daily commute in full EV, monthly or so long journeys in hybrid).

Post #661657 12th Apr 2023 9:10am
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

Just wondering, do you plug the car in every night to keep the batteries fully charged, and is that via a domestic 13A socket or via a dedicated charging unit ?
Is it OK to charge it in a garage, or is it safer done outdoors?
Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #661659 12th Apr 2023 9:26am
Martin2

England 

The overall p/mile would be a more interesting comparison, as Yousif says, mpg figures are very misleading, especially if you don’t do a lot of longer journeys. MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #661660 12th Apr 2023 9:29am
RDR

United Kingdom 

Mpg is misleading, I’m staying away from raising overall cost as it’s a can of worms. I’m really lucky to be able to charge from solar or cheap rate. Having owned BEVS since 2014 and still do as a commute car I know personal use case is critical to weighing up options.

I treat the car like my mobile phone and plug it in at night on the drive. MY23 PHEV HSE
MY19 Disco 5 HSE - gone
My12 Disco 4 HSE - gone

Last edited by RDR on 12th Apr 2023 12:02pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #661661 12th Apr 2023 10:33am
DJIT

United Kingdom 

Swings and roundabouts depending on whether you have charge and the length and speed of your journeys. Here’s three sections of a road trip I did coming home from the alps at the weekend in the P440e (see pics).

First part of the journey I had zero charge but the regen gave me a few miles from downhill sections.

The second and third parts of the journey were after a charge at the Novatel in Tours.

The best I was getting out of my D300 on 50 mile plus journeys was 42mpg.

As others have said, it really depends on how you use the car. The commute to work is all electric for me but longer journeys will only be efficient if you have charge.

Post #661665 12th Apr 2023 11:44am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

See that Harry Metcalfe cancelled his partly because of poor efficiency in EV mode - looking at the official figures, m/kWh is poor but not miles away from other big, heavy stuff.

Post #661667 12th Apr 2023 12:07pm
RDR

United Kingdom 

I’m looking forward to the longer journeys to enjoy the car but know it won’t be as efficient as diesel unless I charge. I won’t let charging impact a holidays I’ll just suck up the inefficiency 3 or 4 times a year.

One other pleasant surprise I have used the sheffield green car parking scheme for years with my BEVS and it let me register the Range Rover too so I can park in council car parks and on street for free. MY23 PHEV HSE
MY19 Disco 5 HSE - gone
My12 Disco 4 HSE - gone

Post #661668 12th Apr 2023 12:10pm
RDR

United Kingdom 

Philip wrote:
See that Harry Metcalfe cancelled his partly because of poor efficiency in EV mode - looking at the official figures, m/kWh is poor but not miles away from other big, heavy stuff.

I saw that as always it’s a good honest review from Harry, the car could be better but it’s big, heavy and a very capable 4x4 and to balance all of its capability and still give 50miles range in EV at 5c temps is impressive. When I handed the keys back for our first bmw i3 it could just about manage 60miles on a full charge. Things have come a long way in 7 years! MY23 PHEV HSE
MY19 Disco 5 HSE - gone
My12 Disco 4 HSE - gone

Post #661671 12th Apr 2023 12:16pm
d3rm0

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver

I have had two p440e and Harrys review on efficiency has made me think twice. There are still huge benefits in relation to emissions etc. These are not my calculations, they were in a tweet after the review was posted.

Great review as ever. My semi ignorant thoughts on costs: 33p/kwh @ 1.3 m/kwh leads to 33/1.3=25p/m (on cheap home charging too). Equivalent mpg (ie m/g) is: g=4.55L, 4.55*145p=660p/g. 660p/g/25p/m=26m/g (ie mpg)... Which is awful, why bother?

What's frustrating is that it's a step backwards when compared to the L405. Tesla also have the weight issue but don't have these efficiency issues.

Post #661747 13th Apr 2023 12:50pm
RDR

United Kingdom 

Yep I would not touch one if you’re paying 33p a kilowatt to charge it at home. ev opens the door to charging tariffs so unless you can work around charging it at certain times on a decent tarrif stay clear of this phev. Get home plug in and forget about it, wake up to a full battery charged on cheap rate.

Tesla are way more efficient, JLR have work to do. That said given the extra capability in the RR , it’s shape and tyres I imagine it’s a tough technical challenge to avoid compromises. MY23 PHEV HSE
MY19 Disco 5 HSE - gone
My12 Disco 4 HSE - gone

Post #661748 13th Apr 2023 1:04pm
gerryb

United Kingdom 

I have a P440e on order. The EV range was a significant plus point for me over P400e. Currently run XC90 Twin Engine with 20 miles at best EV range. Average mpg over last 4 years is over 55mpg. I achieve 30mpg on petrol only. With up to 50 miles EV range I expect a big improvement in overall mpg with the P440e based on my mix of driving.
I home charge at night at 10p/kWh (eight legged cephalopod) and free charging at work. Now it makes sense.

Post #661749 13th Apr 2023 1:09pm
RDR

United Kingdom 

I did a petrol only round trip of 135 miles last night it was unplanned so the battery was flat. The journey app says 31.6mg going and 31.3 coming back mostly motorway and I wasn’t hanging around.

Cars sat fully charged now showing range of 56miles. The GOM is proving pretty accurate. MY23 PHEV HSE
MY19 Disco 5 HSE - gone
My12 Disco 4 HSE - gone

Post #661751 13th Apr 2023 1:25pm
Yousif

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Much as I respect Harry's honest reviews I think he has made an honest mistake in estimating the efficiency of the P510e on full electric.

Although the battery pack on this and the P440e is stated as 38.2 Kw/h it is also stated that the useable battery capacity is 31.8 Kw/h. Even if you take 50 miles range (I haven't heard of anyone getting less than that) you are looking at 1.6 m/kw (50/31.Cool. Others have reported 60miles plus real world in warmer weather.

Home charging at night is widely available at 10p/Kwh (Octopus etc) and this gives 6.25p per mile (10/1.6). using D3RM0's requoted figures that gives an mpg equivalent of 660/6.25= 105mpg.

I don't understand the comparison with Tesla. Tesla don't make PHEVs so they don't carry round a big lump of an engine let alone the offroad gubbins- they are optimised for aerodynamic road cruising. A better comparison for JLR would be the iPace efficiency against the Model X. My previous I Pace did around 3m/Kwh on average across the seasons. A quick google shows around 2.3-3.1m/Kwh for the Model X which if true means they are not far off each other.

Post #661755 13th Apr 2023 1:44pm
FastLaneJB

United Kingdom 

Harry's review did also put me off somewhat. I'm in a Disco currently which is my first SUV as been a bit of a petrol head in the past with fast saloons but I really enjoy it. Have been considering switching out to a Range Rover, more so now the Model S Plaid in RHD isn't coming.

Two things holding me back. One is the lack of parts and downgrades people are getting, even things like 3 zone climate when I have 4 in my Disco. The other is the power train choice. I had been considering a PHEV but not sure now and also 7 seats is useful on occasions to go places with my parents and kids without needing to take 2 cars.

So on fence over 510e or just a LWD D350. Then if it's a 510e I'd have to try the Sport also as giving up extra seats and yet to try either of them.

What are people actually getting in reality on a P440e if they just run in electric only? I think Harry's point is fair unless he's worked it out wrong that the previous PHEV Range Rover was more efficient which you wouldn't expect over a new one.

What I think is also interesting but how far will the full electric Range Rover go or just how big a battery will it need? If we get a real world range out of 50 miles out of this rather large battery it's going to stuggle to crack 200 miles even with a rather massive battery.

Post #664128 14th May 2023 9:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>