Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L460 2022) > 24MY - 615PS for SV and Climate Controls Gone!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 

United Kingdom 

The next stage after getting rid of all the buttons will be to charge a monthly subscription to activate various options in the car (heated seats, massage, adaptive cruise, different engine map etc. All mainstream manufacturers are likely to go this way sooner or later.

Post #664683 22nd May 2023 12:31pm
norland

United Kingdom 

LeunamRR wrote:
Philip wrote:
Getting rid of the physical climate controls is a poor decision.

And for me it looks awful, unbalanced... Definitely something is missing!

Yep, horrible decision both ergonomically and visually. The existing touch screen/ rotary controls combo was just the right balance between buttons and touch screen.

Post #664692 22nd May 2023 1:55pm
RDR

United Kingdom 

Proper controls machined from quality metals or ceramic with quality mechanisms would be the way to go with the Range Rover. Be bold JLR don’t follow the pack.

Side note I have a 1950s drill press, they used ex MOD switch gear from tanks. Every time I turn it on I think that’s how I want my car start button to feel, the action has a feeling of positive quality and occasion. MY23 PHEV HSE
MY19 Disco 5 HSE - gone
My16 Disco 4 HSE LUXURY - gone
My12 Disco 4 HSE - gone
MY05 Disco 3 S - gone but not forgotten

Post #664717 22nd May 2023 6:44pm
calicoj

France 

I hear you 1000% regarding the military-grade power switch.

Sometimes, you just ache for that satisfying look and feel that only comes with critical military, or space shuttle-type switches - you know the kind - and firing up that massive powerplant is one of those times.

It doesn't need to feel like you're starting Starship Discovery, but that stiff, non-nonsense feel is very cool.

Post #664768 23rd May 2023 11:31am
Danb_220_2019

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Fuji White

teeleh wrote:
...like your Windows or Mac dock that is always at the bottom of your screen rather than a dial below it, big deal. The iPad was introduced over 13 years ago and EVERYTHING has changed since then from a User Interface perspective.

There aren't many people using their computers or iPads whilst in control of a ~3T metal box travelling at 70MPH, though. I mean, it's not a problem for me not to look at something on the screen for a second whilst sat at my immobile desk, but doing that when I could be 32M further down the road in said second does seem a little risky.

There's a damn good reason why fighter pilots, airline pilots, helicopter pilots, nuclear technicians in power stations, etc still have the old-fashioned buttons you dislike so much. 2012 (L322) 4.4TDV8 Vogue SE, RSE, Fuji White over Arabica.
Previous V8s: BMW 645Ci, P38 4.6, P38 4.0, Merc CL500
Previous others: Honda x1, Volvo x7, Rover x6, BMW x6, Ford x1, Mercedes x2, Skoda x3, VW x2, Renault x2, Citroen x1, Mazda x3, Nissan x1, Audi x3, Kia x1, Fiat x4, Subaru x3, Austin x2, Triumph x2, Jeep x2, Hyundai x2, Lexus x1, Mitsubishi x1, Saab x2... and some others I've forgotten!

Post #664773 23rd May 2023 12:07pm
Poocherama

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV6 Santorini Black

It's a no from me.

I took delivery of a P400 in September last year and was thinking about ordering another this summer, the deletion of the temperature controls means I'll stick with what I've got.

On that note, the bloody car wash I use managed to scratch the brushed metal finish around the gear selector, anyone know if I can swap it out for a new one?

Post #664785 23rd May 2023 3:04pm
RDR

United Kingdom 

If it’s the same material as the disco 5s selector I got scratches out of it with car polish just before I sold it, came up a treat. MY23 PHEV HSE
MY19 Disco 5 HSE - gone
My16 Disco 4 HSE LUXURY - gone
My12 Disco 4 HSE - gone
MY05 Disco 3 S - gone but not forgotten

Post #664821 23rd May 2023 7:56pm
cxdood

United States 2016 Range Rover HSE 3.0 SC V6 Santorini Black

Danb_220_2019 wrote:
teeleh wrote:
...like your Windows or Mac dock that is always at the bottom of your screen rather than a dial below it, big deal. The iPad was introduced over 13 years ago and EVERYTHING has changed since then from a User Interface perspective.

There aren't many people using their computers or iPads whilst in control of a ~3T metal box travelling at 70MPH, though. I mean, it's not a problem for me not to look at something on the screen for a second whilst sat at my immobile desk, but doing that when I could be 32M further down the road in said second does seem a little risky.

There's a damn good reason why fighter pilots, airline pilots, helicopter pilots, nuclear technicians in power stations, etc still have the old-fashioned buttons you dislike so much.

Exactly. I can control the buttons easily without looking at them.

Why haven't Formula 1 drivers put iPads in the cars instead of steering wheels and pedals? Swipe down to brake. Swipe right to turn right. The iPad is newer than the steering wheel so it must be better right?

This kind of interface is just like the new cheap Chinese built EV from Volvo: EX30. A full fat Range Rover costs 3 times that or more. The cheaper Tesla models are similar. You would think Land Rover could afford to still use buttons. It might look nice to some to not have buttons, but it is cheap, less safe and less convenient to use. L405 2016 - Supercharged V6 petrol 380hp

Post #667923 30th Jun 2023 8:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123