Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Doing the Oil Cooler - Thanks to mm289!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
JMC

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey
Doing the Oil Cooler - Thanks to mm289!

Planning on doing the oil cooler gaskets and o-rings on my 2012 Westie before the New Year. Still under 50k miles, but I'm starting to smell the hot oil through the heating and if I park down a hill, there's fumes appearing through the grill when I switch off.

HUGE Thanks to 'mm289' for his step-by-step in the wiki.

There's a fairly extensive tool kit in the garage, but thus far have bought a large (100x50cm) 25lt drip tray, engine degreaser, spray bottle, 10-25Nm 1/4" torque wrench and several other bits'n'pieces in preparation of the task ahead. Whistle

All I need now are the Oil Cooler Gaskets and the O-Rings. However, I wonder if there's any other jobs worth tackling while I'm there?

Where's the best place to buy the gaskets (Duckworths?) and I wonder if anyone has a couple of appropriate O-Rings rather than me buying 100 of them? Laughing The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #616801 18th Dec 2021 11:04am
mm289

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Ipanema Sand

I would do the 4 inlet runner tubes/pipes at the same time. Replace with silicon as they will go if not gone already.

I also cleaned the inlet manifold and throttle body as it was caked with grunge.

All my kit is still packed away following a house move so can't find my spare o-rings Sad

Cheers,

MM 2011 TDV8 AB
2006 TD6 AB (Gone to Wales)

Post #616808 18th Dec 2021 12:34pm
Bean19844

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

Depends on how long you can afford too keep the car off road...

When I done my rocker cover gaskets on my range I took it all apart and worked out what gaskets, O rings, pipes etc that needed replacing, ordered them from my local JLR dealer, picked them up the day after and put it all back then you ain't guessing what needs replacing or would you be in the position of missing a few pieces that you now have too wait for to turn up. Strip it on a Sunday, order it Monday, collect Tuesday, refit it all on Wednesday

Post #616811 18th Dec 2021 1:03pm
JMC

mm289 wrote:
I would do the 4 inlet runner tubes/pipes at the same time. Replace with silicon as they will go if not gone already. I also cleaned the inlet manifold and throttle body as it was caked with grunge.

Given that I've never been in there before, I've no idea what these 4 inlet runner tubes/pipes actually are! Cleaning grunge was always going to be part of the job though, having seen the pics on your excellent thread. Thumbs Up

Bean19844 wrote:
Depends on how long you can afford too keep the car off road...

Fortunately, it's a 'nice to have' rather than a 'need to have' as there's another five 4x4 vehicles here. Sadly, none of them will take me to the top of a mountain though..... Whistle The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #616821 18th Dec 2021 3:33pm
mm289

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Ipanema Sand

Have a look at this thread https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic52120.html

Thumbs Up

MM 2011 TDV8 AB
2006 TD6 AB (Gone to Wales)

Post #616848 18th Dec 2021 9:35pm
JMC

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #616849 18th Dec 2021 9:52pm
JMC

Reckon four of these may be added to my list then! Thumbs Up

https://www.performancesiliconehoses.com/7...-189-p.asp The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #616851 18th Dec 2021 10:03pm
Fox889

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

With the greatest respect, if you’re going to all the trouble of stripping everything out to change the oil cooler gaskets, then I would change the complete cooler! Genuine LR coolers aren’t mega expensive, it’s a long winded job so just change the whole cooler & forget about it. There’s an ‘O’ ring to change behind the rear of the engine while you’re at it, look on the wiki & it’ll be there for you.
Not trying to spend your money….but…….. 2012 Orkney Grey Westminster 4.4TDV8 with Ivory interior.........nice!
BMW R1200GS
Alfa Romeo Giulietta
Just one Montesa now, 349 White Wonder
Austin A40 Farina MK2
1975 Morris Marina 1.8TC

Post #616872 19th Dec 2021 9:37am
JMC

Fox889 wrote:
if you’re going to all the trouble of stripping everything out to change the oil cooler gaskets, then I would change the complete cooler!

With the greatest respect, WHY??? Confused

Why change a perfectly good oil cooller just because the gasket has suffered a very common failure? It's basically the same amount of work involved either way. Cost has nothing to do with it in my books.

Do you change a complete cylinder head if the gasket goes? Do you buy a new wheel and tyre if you get a puncture instead of getting a repair? Whistle The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #616885 19th Dec 2021 11:49am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

My 2p of advice. Unless you know the oil cooler is leaking I would ID the actual source of the leak as it may be the O rings on the return pipe which is a much easier job. If the oil cooler is leaking it will likely also have contaminated the coolant so that will need flushing and the header tank replacing. I’m all for preventative maintenance ( servicing mainly) but these cars are so complex that it also pays to follow the ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’ rule as well. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #616886 19th Dec 2021 11:58am
Fox889

Oh dear, someone has got out of the bed the wrong side?
My point was simple, because it's a 4.5 hr job, according to LR, there have been reports that changing just the gasket doesn't always work. If you're going to spend that amount of time, you don't really want to do it all over again if it doesn't cure the problem.
The oil cooler is now nearing 10 years old, & I personally would change the complete cooler just for piece of mind.

All I was trying to do, was to offer some free advice coupled to some preventive maintenance, that's all.
I have a '12 plate Westie & had the same problem, I changed the whole cooler, you pays your money you makes the choice.

Wish I hadn't bothered. Crying or Very sad
Happy Christmas to all 2012 Orkney Grey Westminster 4.4TDV8 with Ivory interior.........nice!
BMW R1200GS
Alfa Romeo Giulietta
Austin A40 Farina MK2
1975 Morris Marina 1.8TC

Post #616887 19th Dec 2021 12:01pm
JayGee

Didn't get out of bed the wrong side and surprised how you could have taken it that way?
I had my oil cooler gasket done as it was leaking into the coolant but I repeat not all coolers are the source of a rear engine leak and it's also the return pipe oil ring. Just trying to save someone a possible 4.5 hr labour bill plus parts if it doesn't need doing.... 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #616906 19th Dec 2021 2:10pm
Fox889

Very Happy It wasn’t directed at you JayGee……it was directed at the original post…JMC!
Agree entirely with your last sentence, that was my initial aim. Friends again? Laughing Laughing 2012 Orkney Grey Westminster 4.4TDV8 with Ivory interior.........nice!
BMW R1200GS
Alfa Romeo Giulietta
Austin A40 Farina MK2
1975 Morris Marina 1.8TC

Post #616910 19th Dec 2021 2:35pm
JayGee

Ah….
I got out of bed the right side but obviously lost my reading glasses.
Thumbs Up 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #616912 19th Dec 2021 2:51pm
JMC

Fox889 wrote:
Oh dear, someone has got out of the bed the wrong side?

Not at all, and I'm sorry if you took my response that way. Didn't think I wrote my reply in any manner other than 'banter', so we'll just have to put it down to the nuances of the north/south divide! Wink

I simply asked, why change an oil cooller if it's just a gasket has failed due to age? The same will apply to the four joining inlet rubber pipes.

My idea is just to get in there and resolve everything that's a known issue on these engines, whether it needs to be done or not. Gaskets, O-rings and inlet tubes.

If it put it in to a LR dealer, I'll have a bill in four figures. If I put it to a trusted independent, I'll end-up with a replacement Britpart cooler. I'm quite looking forward to doing it myself, as it's time that I learned a bit more about this engine! The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #616920 19th Dec 2021 3:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>