Home > Technical (L322) > l 322 air suspension
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rover75lover

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Baltic Blue
l 322 air suspension

im still struggling with my 2003 td6 rr suspension
fitted a new compressor and found the air leak to be a split pipe on the reservoir pipe to valve block .
Yes you can remove the collets ,reuse on a piece of new 6 mm pipe .
Im still having problems as the rear lifts ok but the front wont .
By powering the valve block i can get the fronts to raise and they stay up over 2 days no problem .
Tomorrow im going to check the continuity from the ecu connector to the valve block via the motors wiring harness to rule out rat ,squirrel damage .
I have another ecu to try but the real question i would like answered is as follows
the height sensors have three wires ,ok with xenon headlight some hve 6 , however am i correct in assuming that of the 3 wires one would be earth ,supplied by the ecu ,the next would be a 12v supply and the third would be the feed back to the ecu? accordingly would all the 12v feed in be equal i.e. about 12 v ? also if they are "permanent" 12 v cn i check the ecu earth by reading the power feed to a good known earth ?
now when i check the actual "offsets" the fronts o each other are miles out and similarly with the rears ?
Any help appreciated

Post #676797 29th Oct 2023 7:23pm
Discofish

England 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Oslo Blue

i'm having a very similar issue with mine and to answer your question from my investigations your assumptions are correct but i understood the supply was 5 volts not 12.

my sensor on the drivers side is six wire and all the others are three but from memory you only need pins 1, 4 & 5

hope this helps in some way

Post #676863 30th Oct 2023 6:00pm
Joe90

England 

"and they stay up over 2 days no problem"

then what happens ?

What do you see when you read the codes...? .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #676864 30th Oct 2023 6:24pm
rover75lover

many thanks for the reply ,it stays on high if and only if i use the rsw softeare to "depressurise " ,the backs lower and the front rise . I then stop the software and it will sit on high no problem. There are no fault codes logged but the high led remains on even if i depressurise it all around .
I thought i might have a wiring problem so i got the ecu out disconnected the plug and carefully dismantled it so i could clearly see the pin numbers . Read the resistances and they are very similar i.e. front left solenoid to right solenoid . I even connected a 12 supply and i clearly can hear the solenoids "clunk " when i energise them .
Ive had the valve block off the vehicle ,cleaned and refitted it then i used plugs off another unit . Using a compressor and some 6 mm and 8 mm pipe,i connected my compressor to the valve inlet . I pressurised this up then use a 12 v supply to open the reservoir and let it fill . |Thats the way i found my split pipe which burnt out the original compressor due to over work . using my independent 12 v supply i can open the rear valves ,one at a time and i can get them to lift and hold pressure over night nno problem . The same with the front ,i can power them individually and they will lift and hold pressure and height overnight providing i leave the valve block electrically disconnected .
So i know that the actual hardware ,solenoids are capable of working . Ive changed the headlight levelling ecu and subsituted a good air suspension ecu from my other l 322 who's suspension works great .
So im now a bit stuck so to speak .
As i said thank you for replying

Post #676873 30th Oct 2023 9:36pm
rover75lover

Discofish wrote:
i'm having a very similar issue with mine and to answer your question from my investigations your assumptions are correct but i understood the supply was 5 volts not 12.

my sensor on the drivers side is six wire and all the others are three but from memory you only need pins 1, 4 & 5

hope this helps in some way

I think the 6 pins are if you have xenon headlights and the headlight ecu uses the other pins . If the ecu headlight is faulty the air suspension wont work . Thats what one educated l 322 professor told me so its not from peRsonal expeRience .
If i EVER crack this walnut ill be back on straight away . Ive done loads on it new compressor new rear height sensors ,overhauled resealed the valve block ,swapped the ecu from my good l 322 and this one still performs the same and my "good suspension" l 322 works fine with my bad suspension l 322 ecu installed . I dont get any faults recorded with the rsw code reader so im beginning to scrape the barrel
Ive checked the ecu to valve wiring ,all good . Really scrapping the barrel now

Post #676874 30th Oct 2023 9:43pm
Discofish

Typical... just to make it more complicated they have to bring headlights into the mix Confused

On my diagnostics it's saying that my issue is with my front left height sensor, but so far I've checked wiring, replaced the sensor and the reading off that corner still says -100 where every other is + 400 or there about's and change when the car moves.

was thinking about a replacement ECU (annoying as the suspension worked perfectly before it went for MOT although to be fair they did try to rectify it as they admitted they may have fiddled with wiring when they did a brake pipe)

Post #676893 31st Oct 2023 9:57am
will308f

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Orkney Grey

Sounds a bit like we are both in the same boat ……I’ve got suspension ecu issues as well (won’t calibrate) and suspension dropping Big Cry still not got any fixes from here yet 2008 3.6 tdv8 range rover Vogue Stornoway grey - Parchment Leather

Post #676959 31st Oct 2023 11:27pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Discofish wrote:
Typical... just to make it more complicated they have to bring headlights into the mix Confused

On my diagnostics it's saying that my issue is with my front left height sensor, but so far I've checked wiring, replaced the sensor and the reading off that corner still says -100 where every other is + 400 or there about's and change when the car moves.

was thinking about a replacement ECU (annoying as the suspension worked perfectly before it went for MOT although to be fair they did try to rectify it as they admitted they may have fiddled with wiring when they did a brake pipe)

Has the arm been flipped the wrong way round? the six-pin sensors can be used in place of the three pin ones, they're two separate units in one housing.

Post #676961 31st Oct 2023 11:47pm
Discofish

when it left the MOT place it was flipped unbeknown to me however when it was put right the front pumped up beyond off road and burst both front bags Big Cry and its not worked since reliably.

thinking about it now I'm wondering if the sensor could have been damaged by being used in the flipped position?

although to add insult to injury this morning I've now got the battery warning light flashing on & off and what appears to be a bearing on it's last legs sound (which I thought was possibly a tensioner) so may be the alternator is dying (knowing how power hungry these are and errors flagging up for that reason, could they be linked issues?)

Post #676973 1st Nov 2023 9:01am
will308f

hi
when you say you got the ecu out do you the suspension ecu ? ,is this the one passengers side foot well by any chance ?
thanks will 2008 3.6 tdv8 range rover Vogue Stornoway grey - Parchment Leather

Post #677993 15th Nov 2023 2:15pm
Discofish

that's the one (although a bit tight for space if i remember when i looked at mine)

Post #678039 16th Nov 2023 10:11am
will308f

Thumbs Up I've got an issue with mine so got a second hand one which im going to flash it with the gap tool and hoping that sorts out my problem 2008 3.6 tdv8 range rover Vogue Stornoway grey - Parchment Leather

Post #678063 16th Nov 2023 1:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1