Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L405) > Update (sort of) for my USB woes in 2017 AB
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
DamianK

United Kingdom 
Update (sort of) for my USB woes in 2017 AB

So I have been having issues with my iPhone connecting to my 2017 RR via USB Cable, it NEVER connects if the car has been sat overnight and then will randomly connect and work when it feels like it throughout the day (this is for using Apple Car Play).

After trying different cables, checking software etc etc I decided to get my local dealer to replace the whole USB/ Sim module in the centre console to see if that will sort the issue.

They did this for me on Friday and also updated the software for the module (which is different to the headhunt software). They thought they had fixed the issue as they tried 5 different iPhones and all worked and CarPlay kicked in as it should.

Great, so I Thought. Got it home and it was all working. Tried the following morning though and the usual fault happened where the car just doesn't recognise my iPhone is connected to the car (via cable NOT Bluetooth). SO I am now at a loss - it would seem that this is just how the janky ICE is in the 2017 Range Rover, pretty poor for what would have been a £100k+ car when new.

It seems the 2017 fell in between the newer, better headhunts in the 2018 (and onwards) cars and the older (but replaceable headhunts).

Any 2017 owners found their iPhone cable connection to be really inconsistent - especially after the car has sat for a few hours?

Post #677411 6th Nov 2023 12:13pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Hi Damian, I think I’ve tried to help you with this before.
I also have MY2017 which connects fine every time, but is picky about WHEN you connect the phone:
You have to start the car and wait a while, until the infotainment system is fully booted up, (it’s not exactly fast to boot up, is it?)
If you plug in the phone first, then start the car, sometimes it behaves as if there is no phone attached to USB. I may have mentioned before that the Infotainment/Nav system is not tolerant of a weak main battery causing comms issues, so check your battery SOH, perhaps you already did so?

Best of luck in finding the cause, or a solution. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #677416 6th Nov 2023 12:51pm
DamianK

United Kingdom 

Hi - thanks for the reply.

I will try connecting after it's all booted up (although I am pretty sure that I tried that before) - the battery is a new one on me. Could that cause these issues?

Post #677418 6th Nov 2023 12:54pm
Gremlin500

I had a lot of weird issues wth my car when it arrived March 2022, then I got one of these:

Click image to enlarge

Battery was down to 29% SOH (not SOC, different thing). When I replaced the battery, all the er, Gremlins just vanished, for example previously I had been unable to update either Software (OTA) or Maps (USB) so yes it’s worth checking, given the paltry price of the tool (under a tenner on AliExpress, a bit more on Amazon, but you get it faster). Don’t buy the “550” make sure it’s the “580” you are getting. I had zero DTC’s during all this, by the way.

Now my new (year-old) battery (5-yr. G’tee) is already down to a paltry 39% SOH, so it’s going to be a Warranty claim jobby. Seems FFRR’s eat batteries for a living, stop-start is probs the culprit, but also the vast amount of other electrical demand on board, coupled with short journeys. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #677420 6th Nov 2023 1:21pm
DamianK

United Kingdom 

Thanks for this.

I have just been out and having a fiddle about - it's so odd - so with my iPhone (11 Pro Max) the car just would not see it, tried my wife's iPhone (13) - also did not work. Switched car off for a few mins the tried my wife's phone again and BINGO worked flawlessly and then so did my phone too!

I just cannot understand it - why sometimes it jay refuses to see the phones and then again sometimes it does - and when it does its great.

I cannot think what else to try having updated software and replaced the hardware!

I will look at battery but not sure why that would make it work sometimes and then not others - although it NEVER works when the car has sat overnight - never.

Post #677427 6th Nov 2023 3:06pm
Gremlin500

Hi Damian, it’s defo worth checking out the battery, because it’s an easy (if not cheap) DIY fix.
If your battery IS on its way out, now is the best time to renew it anyway, before Winter sets in.
Just look at my 15-month old battery!

Click image to enlarge

Lost 65% of its capacity already! Big Cry

If the system voltage drops much below 12.5V, the gremlins begin to appear: one thing I first noticed was sluggish tailgate operation, which led to my battery investigations, so my Infotainment issues were fixed entirely by accident, fortunately for me, but not before I’d spent hours and hours with failed updates etc. Also worth saying, my dodgy battery (the old one) was totally masked by being constantly plugged in to a CTEK smart charger. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Last edited by Gremlin500 on 6th Nov 2023 5:08pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #677430 6th Nov 2023 3:40pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Have you checked that the phones are compatible with the car? It could be that they are just too new, I know you said the interface software was updated but this won't automatically mean later phones will always work seamlessly.

Post #677431 6th Nov 2023 4:48pm
DamianK

United Kingdom 

Hi - that did cross my mind but actually when it works it works without issue, to me it feels like the car misses some sort of handshake maybe with the phone but then I am not sure why it works sometimes and not others (but always doesn't when the car has sat overnight).

Its just very odd - probably has something to do with the older tech in the car and its start up seq.

Post #677432 6th Nov 2023 4:51pm
DamianK

United Kingdom 

DamianK wrote:
Thanks for this.

I have just been out and having a fiddle about - it's so odd - so with my iPhone (11 Pro Max) the car just would not see it, tried my wife's iPhone (13) - also did not work. Switched car off for a few mins the tried my wife's phone again and BINGO worked flawlessly and then so did my phone too!

I just cannot understand it - why sometimes it jay refuses to see the phones and then again sometimes it does - and when it does its great.

I cannot think what else to try having updated software and replaced the hardware!

I will look at battery but not sure why that would make it work sometimes and then not others - although it NEVER works when the car has sat overnight - never.

Hi - the more I think about it the more I think the issue could be the battery - I mean that would explain why it never works when the car has sat for a long time (like overnight) but does later after its been driven for a little while. It has the original battery which is now over 6 years old so I am thinking it might be worth replacing it anyway before the winter.

I have seen Halfords do a fitting and a battery which will be so much cheaper than taking it to my local dealership!

Post #677474 7th Nov 2023 1:02pm
Jase71

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

Do you need to replace both batteries or just the one under the spare wheel? I'm seeing weird issues on my 2017 car with original batteries 2017 Range Rover Vogue V6 Diesel
2006 Range Rover Vogue V8 Diesel - gone

Post #677518 8th Nov 2023 11:53am
DamianK

United Kingdom 

I am having the starter battery (one under spare wheel) replaced on Friday so will let you know if that helps - the other battery I think is just for the start/ stop BUT could be wrong.

What issues are you having?

Post #677521 8th Nov 2023 12:02pm
Gremlin500

Both:

Best to test.
Then spend your money only if necessary.
If both batteries are original 2017, then they are likely well down on SOH.

The tester above will tell you in a few minutes, and it’s so cheap to buy now, mine cost £27 a year ago, now its 1/3 the price.

Of course, the cause may still possibly lie elsewhere, but if your battery is weak, better to find out now, rather than the hard way on a dark rainy night miles from home. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #677538 8th Nov 2023 4:17pm
DamianK

United Kingdom 

I am going to replace it whatever as it is the original 2017 battery so might as well.

I have no idea if it will sort my USB connection issue and frankly this is my last stop on this journey as I cannot see what else it could be (the dealer will have another look next week too).

I may just have to deal with the fact that Apple Car Play is just not going to work consistently. But the fact it NEVER sees the phone after the car has sat for a night makes me think that you were onto something with the battery.

Post #677539 8th Nov 2023 4:27pm
James W

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Siberian Silver

Out of interest - do you have the InControl app on your phone to access the vehicle remotely - and if so, does it lose connection to that overnight as well as your CarPlay woes? Or does it still work? FFRR SDV8 Autobiography

Post #677541 8th Nov 2023 4:53pm
DamianK

United Kingdom 

I do have the app yes.

I don't think it loses connection overnight, well, not that I have noticed anyway.

Why, what are you thinking?

Post #677542 8th Nov 2023 4:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>