Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Battery drain test procedure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
camcc

United Kingdom 
Battery drain test procedure

I'm trying to test whether I have a battery drain. I don't have an amp clamp, so I'm using a multimeter.

I'm struggling to perform an inline amperage test - here's what I'm doing after ensuring the car is fully asleep, bonnet switch disconnected, interior lights off, red P light off on gear indicator etc.:

1) disconnect the negative cable from the battery
2) touch the negative cable with the red multimeter lead
3) touch the negative battery terminal with the black multimeter lead.

When I do this I can hear things start to 'wake up' and buzz in the engine bay and the reading on my multi-meter goes to 3A to 6A to 9A then 10A+. I break the connection because I'm worried I will fry my multimeter!

I understand that by connect my meter in this way I am essentially reconnecting the battery circuit which is going to mean systems wake up, but I wasn't expecting the reading to be so high.

I've read another method which is to connect the multimeter between the negative terminal on the battery and a good earth point but leave the main earth cable connected, then (once car is fully shut down) remove the battery earth cable from the body while leaving the meter in place, to give a drain reading without waking the car again. Where is the battery earth cable? How do I remove it from the body?

Advice much appreciated. I'm thinking an amp clamp would be so much easier!?

Btw, I'm using a Ultrics multimeter. Red lead in the 10ADC socket and set to 10A.

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by camcc on 17th Dec 2023 7:57pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #680553 17th Dec 2023 6:24pm
Joe90

England 

Quote:
I'm thinking an amp clamp would be so much easier!?

It is Cool

Guessing the age of your car from your dash image in your other topic, try disconnecting the SatNav DVD in the boot.

Take it out and dismantle it to check the PCB, clean with contact cleaner / isopropyl and a toothbrush .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #680556 17th Dec 2023 6:35pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

You could try one of these, the advantage being you can check for current drain on individual fused circuits. EBay item number eBay Item No. 400433639239.
If you do decide to use one mount it so that you can read it through the passenger side window with the doors closed. The car will fully go to sleep then and the reading will be accurate.
I used one when l had a problem and found the fault without any issues. Thumbs Up

Post #680558 17th Dec 2023 6:44pm
camcc

United Kingdom 

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
I'm thinking an amp clamp would be so much easier!?

It is Cool

Guessing the age of your car from your dash image in your other topic, try disconnecting the SatNav DVD in the boot.

Take it out and dismantle it to check the PCB, clean with contact cleaner / isopropyl and a toothbrush

It's a 2005 4.4 AJV8. Thanks, will give that a go.

Post #680561 17th Dec 2023 6:52pm
camcc

United Kingdom 

nicedayforit wrote:

If you do decide to use one mount it so that you can read it through the passenger side window with the doors closed. The car will fully go to sleep then and the reading will be accurate.

Thanks for the suggestion. You mean mount the amp clamp so I can read it from inside the car?

Post #680562 17th Dec 2023 6:58pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Last edited by Phoenix on 23rd Dec 2023 10:51pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #680564 17th Dec 2023 7:08pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

camcc wrote:
nicedayforit wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. You mean mount the amp clamp so I can read it from inside the car?

Outside the car. Thumbs Up

Post #680565 17th Dec 2023 7:18pm
camcc

United Kingdom 

Phoenix wrote:
Amp clasmps are not ideal for mA measurements unless you want to spend serious money. The best thing to do is use a multimeter.
With the battery connected, connect the red lead to the battery clamp, connect the black lead to a good body ground point, lock the car, let everything shutdown >30 mins, then disconnect the end of the battery ground lead from the body. Doing it this way you have already established a parallel ground connection through your meter, when you disconnect the body connection to the battery negative, all the current will flow through the meter without disrupting or disconnecting the vehicle ground connection.

Sorry for the dumb follow-up questions...but...

connect the red lead to the battery clamp - to the positive battery terminal?

disconnect the end of the battery ground lead from the body - this is the brown cable the connect to the negative battery terminal? I will need to use a torch tomorrow but I can't see where this is removed from exactly. 2005 L322 4.4 AJV8

Post #680566 17th Dec 2023 7:39pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Last edited by Phoenix on 23rd Dec 2023 10:52pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #680567 17th Dec 2023 8:01pm
jimmie

Poland 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Epsom Green

better solution - use clamp amp meter.

Post #680571 17th Dec 2023 8:33pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Clamp meters are notoriously inaccurate (unless you're spending a few hundred on one) for any measurements over a few minutes as the DC current will cause eddy currents in the metal clamp, in turn creating a small permanent magnet, which causes an increasing 'drift' in the reading, which is why it is specified to use an in-line ammeter in dealer diagnostic routines for measuring quiescent current draw.

In situations where you need to accurately measure <50mA, a few minutes setting up for accurate measurement will prevent you chasing 'ghost' clamp ammeter readings.

Post #680574 17th Dec 2023 8:52pm
camcc

United Kingdom 

Phoenix wrote:

Yes, you need to disconnect the brown cable from the body after you have set up the multimeter as a parallel ground path and obviously after the vehicle has shut down for >30 mins. I would also suggest pushing the door, bonnet & tailgate latches to their closed position (but with the doors open) so that you have full access to the inside of the vehicle without activating any of the door latches which will, of course, wake up vehicle systems.

Thanks, this is really helpful. I'll see if I can remove the ground cable from the body tomorrow as I just installed a larger 020 size battery and might not be able to get at it easily! 2005 L322 4.4 AJV8

Post #680579 17th Dec 2023 9:29pm
pcourtney

England 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Sumatra Black

nicedayforit wrote:
You could try one of these, the advantage being you can check for current drain on individual fused circuits. EBay item number eBay Item No. 400433639239.
I used one when l had a problem and found the fault without any issues. Thumbs Up

I do like your approach, but it seems you can only test up 20 amp fuses with those devices, so I suppose the sensible thing to do is not to use them on 30A fuse holders Smile

Post #680589 17th Dec 2023 11:39pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Last edited by Phoenix on 23rd Dec 2023 10:52pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #680591 17th Dec 2023 11:45pm
pcourtney

England 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Sumatra Black

True enough Phoenix - thx

Post #680592 17th Dec 2023 11:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>