Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Ghosts in the machine? WTF?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ReggieMac

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Ghosts in the machine? WTF?

Hi all, I have my FFRR now for 7 months and so far have only had to pay a bit out to have the engine oil level sensor replaced and front and rear rollbar bushes. Though expensive all in not the worst that could have happened. I have however had a dash lights come up on a couple of occasions and this is where the weirdness starts.

I have had 3 different warnings come up, never the same one twice, only appeared once and have not been seen again since I plugged in my iCarSoft to get the error codes and then clear them. They were something to do with the radar for the cruise control, blind spot monitoring not working and parking assist. None of them major as far as I know and after each time of clearing the code the fault has not yet come back, which is the bit I do not understand.

As I have read in numerous places that sometimes the battery can be the root of errors such as these but I have checked the battery voltage and all seems good.

Now I have my car booked into my indy on Wednesday to look at an error that is no longer showing on my dash (although I did take photos of this time to prove I am not imagining it!) and am hoping that they will find something stored when they put their scanner on it.

So this post is more of a question really, are FFRR's know for having 'ghosts in the machine'? Random errors popping up and disappearing? Is it a sign of something much more problematic going on or is it just a 'quirk'? Confused

Post #684219 29th Jan 2024 1:52pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Not ghosts, merely Gremlins……. Twisted Evil Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #684225 29th Jan 2024 4:14pm
Gremlin500

Very Happy On a slightly more helpful note:

Low system voltage due to less than perfect battery health/too many high drain devices being used simultaneously, and water/condensation in the electrics can be common issues causing communication failure/red herrings. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #684226 29th Jan 2024 4:18pm
Maher2023

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Fuji White

Hi, apologies for hijacking thread..I may have similar issue (maybe the battery again) I have Key not in the vehicle or screen rebooting and couple of time the car turned itself off when stopped at traffic lights with Start/Stop active.

I have replaced the battery in the remote.

My car is also booked with Dealers next months as the car in under warranty, if the issue get diagnosed to the car battery…would that be covered under the warranty?

Post #684227 29th Jan 2024 4:31pm
ReggieMac

I would suspect that the battery would be classed as a consumable item and therefore not covered by warranty but it all depends on who is providing the warranty I suppose.

Regards the battery, after checking mine I am getting a reading of 12.7v with ignition on and 14.3 when engine running which suggests that the battery is ok I guess?

Bloody Gremlins! Rolling with laughter

Post #684229 29th Jan 2024 4:43pm
Abacus405

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Carpathian Grey

Are you testing the battery directly, or via the under bonnet terminals? Maybe it’s an earthing problem. A common fault are the earth straps behind the splash guards 2017 (67) Vogue SE Corinthian Grey

Post #684234 29th Jan 2024 5:41pm
ReggieMac

To be honest I am just doing some DIY sleuthing and taking the readings from the iCarSoft tool so I probably should get it properly checked. I think they should make it compulsory that you have to have a licence to buy an ODB scanner so that amateur numpties like me cant go about giving myself nightmares by looking at things that should be left to those that know! Rolling with laughter Bow down

Post #684237 29th Jan 2024 6:20pm
Kev the Rev

United Kingdom 

Have you checked the earth connection inside the wing. Have a look on YouTube to see where to look

Post #684240 29th Jan 2024 6:51pm
ReggieMac

Good point, that is the inside the drivers side wing? Prone to corroding and breaking by the looks of it. I will give that a look next. Thumbs Up

Post #684242 29th Jan 2024 6:53pm
Malbro

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Another vote for wheel arch earth points. I had it on my list of things to check as part of a preventative maintenance job on my 2016 AB when I got several random messages along with a flickering passenger side headlight. Checked passenger side earth and it came off in my hand!

Post #684264 29th Jan 2024 10:14pm
ReggieMac

Just for my understanding, on the L405 are there earth straps on both sides of the car, inside of the wheel arches? I thought there was just the one on the drivers side that was prone to corroding? Is there one on the passenger side as well? Confused

Post #684310 30th Jan 2024 1:36pm
Gremlin500

Both sides.
You only need to remove the front half of the splashguards. Thumbs Up “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #684319 30th Jan 2024 3:53pm
ReggieMac

Looks like this will be my weekend job then. I take these are relatively easy to remove, no special tools required?

Post #684325 30th Jan 2024 5:14pm
Gremlin500

No you’ll have them off in a few mins, and then how long it takes depends on what you find in there.
I was fortunate with mine to find they were almost like new, so a quick stiff brushing, a squirt of ACF-50, and a generous coat of Lanoguard grease was all they needed. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #684364 30th Jan 2024 10:04pm
ReggieMac

Do the wheels have to be off to get the splashguards off? The jack I have wont lift my RR and would rather not have to buy a new one for a couple of weeks if I can help it?

Post #684420 31st Jan 2024 1:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>