Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Completely shilut down
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Johninspain

Completely shilut down

Hi, I'm not new here I just could not remember my password details ! I used to be called dave.

Anyway I lent my 06 tdv8 to a pal and while joint the m-way it threw up a suspension message, so he pulled over, the engine was running fine, then it threw a paddy and lit up like a chrismas tree and all kinds of messages. He turned the car of to try and re set things. When I came to restart the key would not turn, no hazard lights it was completely dead. Wouldn't lock or un lock on key fob. I went down and put a little jump pack on it and got a little power and managed to turn it over a couple of times but it didn't start, anyway it let ms get it into neutral so it could be recovered. Anyway battery pack went flat.

Anyone any ideas as to why it would go like this ? Is it Lilly to be a battery issue given the total lock down and the fact it gave me a bit of power from the half dead jump pack ?

Post #86292 9th Oct 2011 9:22pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Sounds like either the battery's dead and not holding a charge, or the alternators not charging the battery? Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #86294 9th Oct 2011 9:29pm
delamo

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green

Most probably the battery is kaput (maybe due to possible alternator issue) - Do you have an idea how old it is?

Post #86295 9th Oct 2011 9:29pm
simon1233

United Kingdom 

Sound similar to when my alternator failed (symptoms, not circumstances) - everything working well, then suddenly no power, key no longer working. When these things run out of juice everything dies and the battery cannot support it for that long without the alternator

Post #86305 9th Oct 2011 10:00pm
Johninspain

The thing is it still won't play ball with a battery pack, it turned a little, and when I hook it to the battery of my other RR via some big leads it still won't give enough to turn over the engine, just clicks. There was some kind of electrical smell from down the side of the fuse box !

Post #86310 9th Oct 2011 10:15pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I'm sure I've heard that attaching jump leads doesn't work. Are you connecting it to the flat battery? It might be best to get that fully charged and try it again. Either that, or stick a fully charged battery in Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #86312 9th Oct 2011 10:19pm
delamo

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green

just as alanm_3 has said - attaching jump leads /battery booster packs doesn't do your pride and joy a lot of favours and could cause damage if you try to turn the car overrepeatedly using these methods because the connections are never really 100% - this may cause the burning smell you have noticed

I'm not an auto electrician but can speak from experiance with FFRRs - if you cant guarantee that the current battery is no more than a few years old, I would replace it with a brand new one (especially now winter is on its way) rather than try to recharge the old one as some of the cells could be knackered - then check the alternator is recharging as it should with a voltage tester

Post #86326 9th Oct 2011 10:44pm
Joe90

England 

Does sound like the alternator has packed up. Had similar happen in my P38A. Got a load of lights and errors pop up as driving along. Stopped at traffic lights on a roundabout in middle lane during evening rush hour. Thought I would switch off to clear faults and then to carry on, but car dead on trying to restart. Great place to break down! Grabbed a towrope out of the back and stood by car for over 20 minutes waving it at all the traffic before before a van stopped and towed me to the side.

What was odd is there was no warning / ignition light to say "no charge"

This will no doubt be the next thing to pack up on my FFRR Big Cry .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #86333 10th Oct 2011 1:26am
rayc

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Rimini Red

Sounds like the battery.

If you try and jump a totally dead or fried battery it just wont happen (Had the issue a few times on different cars)

Also if the battery is totally dead it's not good practice to try and jump start as you could fry an ECU. Again had this happen opn my American van when it came in from the USA.

Ended up with a new gearbox ecu.

Get yourself a decent battery and try that first.

The smell is probably the jump leads due to the amperage they are being expected to carry.

Let us know how you get on Thumbs Up 08 model TDV8 Vogue SE Rimini Red/ parchment. 04 TD6 Vogue Oslo Blue / parchment
99 Model 2.5 DSE Rioja Red / lightstone
97 BMW M3 Evo Convertible
plus a few more!

Post #86340 10th Oct 2011 7:36am
simon1233

United Kingdom 

When the alternator went on mine it killed the battery really quickly. The chap from landrover assist had a booster pack plus the umbilical booster cables from his Disco connected for over 20 minutes before there was enough charge to get the car turned over. Once it was up and running and the battery 'topped up' we took all the booster/jump cables off and put a meter across the terminals. The alternator was actively discharging the system. If you can get it started again check that you have over 14v when the engine is running, if not you could be looking at a new alternator and possibly a new battery depending on how deeply it has been discharged.

Let us know how you get on Thumbs Up

Post #86358 10th Oct 2011 9:17am
Baben

South Africa 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

100% my experience also - wife's TDV8 (sport) battery died, there was no way I could jumpstart it, even with a D3 battery. Needed to fix the problem, put in a fresh battery, and then all OK

Post #86374 10th Oct 2011 10:54am
Johninspain

FFS it must be the alternator ! New battery on and car started fine, ran for one min them shut down again ! The bur if smell is coming from the battery !

Post #86479 10th Oct 2011 3:18pm
Googsy

Ireland 2008 Range Rover HSE TDV8 Java Black

I have sucessfully used jump leads to start my TDV8 the other car though must have the engine running and preferably should be a diesel as petrol takes longer to start as I found out when connected to my next doors Micra. Present :2008 TDV8 HSE
Gone Audi A5 2.7TDI
Gone Discovery 3 HSE
Gone Mercedes CLK
Gone Range Rover 2.5 DSE

Post #86480 10th Oct 2011 3:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1