Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Engine Fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I used to get the same problem on my M5, limp home mode taking away all that lovely power. Turned out to be the Mass Airflow Sensors, the M5 had 2 of them and they were hellishly expensive, luckily warranty paid but those 2 devices in the airboxes were sending screwy messages to the ECU which then decided to shut everything down to minimise potential damage. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #6361 7th Jul 2009 9:02am
Larry

England 2006 Range Rover SE Td6 Java Black

MAF = Bloody expensive indeed. Especially when you realise they ain't much more than a connector, a plastic body and a metal grid or piece of wire!

Mick, check the engine breathers and throttle body (not familiar with the V8 so don't know the arrangement) for blockages (as per previous post) before you pay the little S#@ts any more money. Crankcase/rocker pressure issues can cause some very wierd and wonderful effects to ECU's (including MAF and knock sensor false failure codes)

Post #6363 7th Jul 2009 9:33am
JOKER

Scotland 

Mechanics of a car are not my forte fraid to say Larry, should have taken more interest in them when i was younger but was sidetracked by Japs Eyes and Boobies...... Whistle

As i said earlier LR ASSIST Guy deemed it to be broken earth switch in the connector to the fan that cools down the ECU's

Dealership Last week thought it to be ECU

This week they seem to think it is the cooling pump, plus although the same fault is showing on the dash , they are making out that there is an underlying problem, maybe this is because they were paid £414 for whatever they did to the car last week. Evil or Very Mad

2010 Model, more likely Lexus will be getting the dosh ......... Whistle

Post #6364 7th Jul 2009 3:19pm
Larry

Maybe you should try the change 4 random parts idea. Very Happy It does sound more scientific than the LR approach!

Not sure that Lexus are any better than LR, but they certainly can't be much worse!

Post #6366 7th Jul 2009 4:03pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Larry wrote:
Maybe you should try the change 4 random parts idea. Very Happy It does sound more scientific than the LR approach!

Confused Confused

Post #6369 7th Jul 2009 4:42pm
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

One tip I can give you (if you don't already know) about car sensors is that they are rarely unique to a specific vehicle / manufacurer. My other car has had several sensors changed and one of them , the Throttle Position Sensor, appeared to be impossible to get through a dealer etc, but I researched on the net and the Vauxhall/Lotus Carlton number had an equivalent Lucas part number and lo and behold, it was identical to the one used on the old RR 3.5 efi V8 of the 80's/90'. I also found the reverse light switch on the Lotus to be common to the Corvette ZR1 as Chevy, Vaux & Lotus at the time, were all GM owned.
There seem to be 3 main manufacturers of sensors in the world -Lucas , Bosch and Delphi/AC Delco - so if you x-ref their online catalogues, you can usually find your sensor under its original makers guise. Hope this is of use to someone.
Steve Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #6388 8th Jul 2009 11:26pm
JOKER

Scotland 

It's booked back in again on Mon 13th July they have came to the conclusion that it requires a cooling pump for the ECU's.

Another £483 to supply and fit........... On top of the original £414 previous Labour charges..... Big Cry

Post #6394 9th Jul 2009 10:40am
Larry

Drink as much of the complimentary tea and coffee in the showroom as possible to try to make even for them mugging you for the previous £400. Very Happy

Good luck this time.

Post #6395 9th Jul 2009 3:07pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Car picked up yesterday, Cooling pump supplied and fitted ...... Big Cry (mugged) so far so good not showing any faults as of yet.

But was told if the problem re-occurs there could be an underlying fault apart from the cooling pump that was fitted Whistle

In other words " We are not at fault if it does re-appear " ........ Whistle

Post #6436 15th Jul 2009 10:06am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

if it happens again after all this expensive work, does anybody know what is the situation if you refuse to pay the bill saying its their problem for misdiagnosing the problem...

afterall thats what we pay LR main agents for, if we wanted to just replace parts bit by bit a cheap independent could do just that and we could save costs along the way...

Post #6437 15th Jul 2009 12:44pm
nbunney

United Kingdom 

More than likely you don't pay you don't get your car back.

Post #6439 15th Jul 2009 2:28pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

I'm of the opinion that you pay them to fix a problem - if they do not fix the problem they do not get paid!

It depends though, if you have asked them to trace a miscelanious problem then obviously if it takes then 10 hours at £40 per hour then thats what you will have to pay. This is why it helps to have a basic understanding of how your car works before you go to a garage, pull your trousers down and bend over. 

Post #6441 15th Jul 2009 3:35pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

nbunney wrote:
More than likely you don't pay you don't get your car back.

I once had a Land Rover, the clutch failed under warranty. Shocked
I refused to pay, Rolling Eyes
they said you don't get your vehicle back. Shocked
I said fine neither do you ! Evil or Very Mad
I started to walk out of their reception, their attitude changed somewhat. Wink

It got a little messy, but Trading Standards backed me up 100% - I didn't pay - what was the point in having a golly gee wizz warranty. The stealer said fair wear and tear, I said get lost 6 months old!

Post #6442 15th Jul 2009 5:24pm
nbunney

United Kingdom 

So the moral is, always get a courtesy car.

Post #6443 15th Jul 2009 6:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12