Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Engine Fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
JOKER

Scotland 
Engine Fault

During the last couple of days i have had a warning coming up on the dash ENGINE PERFORMANCE REDUCED which causes the car to lose power and slow to 30mph, anyone know what could cause this before it goes to the local Stealer's ......... Thumbs Up

Post #6214 19th Jun 2009 8:29pm
nbunney

United Kingdom 

Mick

Souunds like limp home mode.

Had experiance with my GTiR, can be caused by various engine issues.

Not much help I know, sorry

Post #6215 19th Jun 2009 8:39pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Not to worry, is that the new machine in your avatar by any chance ............ Whistle

Post #6216 19th Jun 2009 9:04pm
nbunney

United Kingdom 

It's the one of the stealers web site, ut now I've loaded it up it's not actually the one I bourght. But same colour outside. Ours has black leather and piano black trim. I'll take some pics at the weekend, if it's fine.

Post #6217 19th Jun 2009 9:08pm
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

Brace yourself for a big bill, probably only a loose conection but 247 hours at £140 an hour to find it.
let us Know what it finaly is. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #6219 20th Jun 2009 8:49am
JOKER

Scotland 
ENGINE PERFORMANCE REDUCED

Same problem occurred today called out LR assistance, After doing the checks with the ODB scanner it was throwing up 18 faults all linked to the one problem.

The 18 Faults were all CAN related after the engine warmed up.

SUSPECT -- Loss of switched earth to fusebox/ecu housing cooling motor, Causing ECU to heat up and produce errors.

Earth switching missing .....

Booked into the stealers next week

Post #6274 26th Jun 2009 9:25pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

Does it "judder" at the same time, and does the check engine light blink/flash? If so it's a failing coil pack. This can be caused by a valve cover gasket or just one of those things.

They arent very expensive to replace (2nd hand ones can be had for around £15 to verify it's that) 

Post #6280 27th Jun 2009 5:07pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Does not do anything that you mention, Technician spent a good 45 mins going over everything on the fault codes and showed me where the problem was coming from as when he put a probe in the connector there was no earth switching happening.

He did mention to me that some mechanics would put this fault down to a coil tho.......... Thumbs Up

Anyhow booked into the Dealers on Monday......

Post #6281 27th Jun 2009 6:57pm
JOKER

Scotland 

UPDATE

Local dealers cannot find the same fault as the LR ASSIST GUY.

They have kept the car overnight and asked for permission for one of their technicians to take it home to find out if the fault re-occurs.

So much for all their scanners and gadgets to find out about these things............ Whistle

Post #6286 29th Jun 2009 9:16pm
JOKER

Scotland 

UPDATE 2

Call from the dealers, they could not find the fault even after technician took the vehicle home, so the labour charges for not finding any fault so far is £330, left the dealership with vehicle 10 mins into driving, Limp home mode appears, phones dealership whom in turn ask me to drop it back into them.

Head mechanic comes out and informs me how strange this has happened runs a diagnostic and comes back with the conclusion that it may require a NEW ECU but first they have to consult Land Rover Technical via E-mail with regards to this fault.

So it looks like this will be ongoing for at least a week,

So up and till now £330 labour charges and a £800 ECU PLUS LABOUR CHARGES FOR INSTALLING THE ECU.

looks like when this is sorted It's Cheerio FFRR Hello MERCEDES....................... Whistle[/b]

Post #6301 30th Jun 2009 6:19pm
kin

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

MICK wrote:
UPDATE 2

looks like when this is sorted It's Cheerio FFRR Hello MERCEDES....................... Whistle[/b]
You TRAITOR Mick Wink Mr. Green

Post #6302 30th Jun 2009 7:47pm
JOKER

Scotland 

At the moment it's a Maybe.......

Will wait and see what the final outcome is and Bill for that matter ..............

I really love my FFRR Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #6304 30th Jun 2009 9:06pm
Larry

England 2006 Range Rover SE Td6 Java Black

It's funny how the default position of dealers is always to replace the ECU (one of the most expensive components on the car) when they can't find a fault.

My previous car kept having (seemingly) spurious fault codes coming up on the engine, Main dealer wanted to replace ECU straight away at £800 after already replacing several sensors (£200 worth). I didn't agree and after asking around, found that the fault was simply a blocked breather pipe that put various sensors out of parameter every now and again. Fix cost 20p (new gasket) and 15 minutes of my time.

I reckon you should just pick 4 random engine parts from a hat and change them, as I think thats all the dealers do anyway. Very Happy Very Happy

Question: Why don't the dealers carry a spare ECU to fit for a few days as a diagnostic tool (ie. to rule the ECU in or out) rather than just change it and charge you?

Post #6305 1st Jul 2009 9:05am
JOKER

Scotland 

UPDATE 3

Picked the car up this morning after being with the Dealers for 5 days.

Thankfully no ECU needed, but the Fault they came back with was the same one that i pointed out to them that the LR Assist Technician found Whistle .

The car was left with 3/4 tank of petrol and after their so called road test's i got it back with just under 1/4 tank Evil or Very Mad .

So basically they have had the vehicle for 5 days, their so called "TECHNICIANS" have came up with the conclusion that the connector to the fan was the problem.( as earlier told ).

Used the car to ferry their fat arse's here, there, and everywhere.

And in doing so charge me £414.00 for the privilege of Labour Charges.

The dealership also asked me to monitor the situation over the next few days to which i asked " And if this does re-occur how much will it cost me for to find the exact problem.

Needless to say that question could not be answered.............. Whistle Whistle Evil or Very Mad .

CAR WON'T BE GOING BACK TO THAT DEALERSHIP, BUNCH OF FANNY'S

Post #6329 3rd Jul 2009 2:33pm
JOKER

Scotland 

UPDATE 4

Spoke to soon, Car has been parked up over the week-end, took it out last night Mon 6th and hey presto after 30 mins driving same Censored fault appears and goes into limp home mode.

So the telephone Conversation should be good in the morning, As i phoned them on Saturday to tell them that after 5 days of road testing my car i got it back with what looked like hedge scrapes along the front of it. and told them what i thought about their so called service. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

My crystal ball tells me i will be paying for a new ECU and other Labour Charges............. Evil or Very Mad

Post #6356 6th Jul 2009 9:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>