Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Does LR make "SOME" of the worlds most dangerous v
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
discowill

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

My head is not in the sand, I live no where near any sand Laughing If you had of asked do Land Rovers have some really annoying issues I would agree some of them do, but at no point did I see any really life threating issues which is what you asked. Very Happy

Post #313800 19th Feb 2015 9:59pm
DMRR

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I live as far away as you can in the UK from any sand .... this is just a stupid thread Big Cry

Might as well be called 'Do mechanical things fail - discuss' Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2009 5.0V8SC Autobiography
2006 4.2V8SC Autobiography
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #313807 19th Feb 2015 10:23pm
discowill

That sounds too easy Big Cry

Post #313809 19th Feb 2015 10:32pm
drivesafe

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

discowill wrote:
My head is not in the sand
Hi again Discowill and you actually do have your head in the sand.

I explained, in detail, what happened when my wife was driving our RR and the alternator failed.

But according to what you THINK, you are convinced it couldn’t happen that way.

That is most definitely a case of having one's head in the sand.

Since this happened, I have been told by a number of people who work with LRs, that this has happened a number of times that they know of. What actually caused the steering to lock in any of the cases, has never been explained. 2007 TDV8 Lux

Post #313816 19th Feb 2015 10:57pm
drivesafe

Discowill, you are correct, this is a waste of time when there is so much ‘It can’t happen to a Land Rover “ mentality being posted.

From the many times I have received help from this forum, I know, first hand, that this is not the norm for this forum. 2007 TDV8 Lux

Last edited by drivesafe on 19th Feb 2015 11:30pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #313818 19th Feb 2015 11:01pm
DMRR

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

*yawn*

LR didn't make the alternator. LR didn't make the steering lock. LR didn't make the electronics that may have failed.

LR made the body it all sits in, LR designed the way it all fits together.

There are NO vehicle manufacturers that create and build totally proprietary systems. Period.

Get off your soap box, it matters not which vehicle manufacturer your car is made by. Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2009 5.0V8SC Autobiography
2006 4.2V8SC Autobiography
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #313821 19th Feb 2015 11:04pm
discowill

discowill wrote:
I have had alternator failure and not had the steering lock come on, the only time the steering lock would come on is if the voltage of the battery dropped so low that it thought it was powered off, not saying it could not happen but
1) I would suspect on a very heavy electrical use engine this would has stopped running first e.g. power to the injectors
2) You should of had other warnings for other more power hungry circuits shutting down first so I would expect the dash to light up like a Christmas tree like it did in my case on a 2007 TDV8.

You must not be able to read properly I never said it could not happen, just I thought this was rather unlikely, if I said it could not happen then I would not have my head buried in the sand I would be calling you a liar which I did not say Rolling Eyes

Post #313822 19th Feb 2015 11:05pm
PaulTyrer

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Cairns Blue

billcyn wrote:
Nothing to do with this RR reliability topic but am interested to know what the REAL reason for "check coolant level"
issue mentioned by RR2008HSE turned out to be as the daily "bong" and message is driving me nuts despite checking everything related!

Have you topped up the header tank with water or anti-freeze (the correct one)? If you fill it with only water, it lowers the specific gravity of the coolant which is monitored, if this drops below a certain SG you get the 'Check Coolant Level' warning message.

Post #313894 20th Feb 2015 11:25am
billcyn

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Epsom Green

Coolant at correct level also SG checked & correct - any other ideas?

Post #313896 20th Feb 2015 11:38am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

Off Topic start a new thread please.. Wink ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #313900 20th Feb 2015 12:00pm
billcyn

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Epsom Green

Sorry Stan - got carried away!

Post #313940 20th Feb 2015 3:43pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

ebajema wrote:
It is an interesting question and I would love to see accurate statistics on this covering all car brands and models. I think that would be very hard to come by because the impact on a brand could be huge. It should however be public knowledge, easily accessible and mandatory. I don't think it will ever be but it Smile.

Remember, when it comes to accidents and deaths, both the car AND the driver would be relevant. A very well engineered and "safe" sports car may have a higher accident rate than a small city car just because those drivers who wish to drive very fast tend to buy sports cars and don't tend to buy wheezy little runabouts.

I can remember a particular model of single engine airplane that has a higher accident rate than its competitors just because the more "aggressive" pilots are drawn to it because of its performance.

And in the States, when it was first "discovered " SUVs roll over easier than passenger cars just due to their height, it was mentioned that London double decker buses have a MUCH higher centre of gravity than SUVs but don't fall over because they are driven properly by people who understand what they're driving.

Post #314008 20th Feb 2015 11:48pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

billcyn wrote:
Nothing to do with this RR reliability topic but am interested to know what the REAL reason for "check coolant level"
issue mentioned by RR2008HSE turned out to be as the daily "bong" and message is driving me nuts despite checking everything related!

I PMed Bill, but, in case anyone else was wondering, I apologize for being mysterious. The coolant tank needs replacing (and probably the sensor). New coolant can't hurt either. Sensor £8 fitted. Tank £100 fitted. Approx.

Sorry, Stan. It's off topic, but it answers and closes the alternate thread. And I originally posted it before I saw your response.

Post #314009 20th Feb 2015 11:59pm
drivesafe

DMRR wrote:
*yawn*

LR didn't make the alternator. LR didn't make the steering lock. LR didn't make the electronics that may have failed.
So who is supposed to carry the warranty on all these “foreign made” parts?

Land Rover may not make them, but like all other manufacturers, they are responsible for the quality and reliability of any products they out source. Something I think you are well aware of.

You shouldn’t have mentioned alternator in this thread if you don’t want to hear how bad LR parts can be.

And before you go making claims that LR alternators are no better or worse than the alternators used in other vehicle makes, go and have a read of some of the threads on alternators in this forum.

You will find there are quite a few HONEST members on this site who will tell you to replace a faulty LR alternator with some other brand, and that was the advice I got when mine failed.

Sorry I had the original alternator repaired and reinstalled before I got the advice.

This burying your head in the sand and saying nothing ever goes wrong with your LR when it quite obviously does, is the sort of response one finds on Toyota or Jeep forums, and is not what you would expect to happen on a Land Rover forum. 2007 TDV8 Lux

Post #314039 21st Feb 2015 7:28am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

you do know that it was a small batch of dodgy alternators made circa 2007 that were affected....range rover alternators before and after that date are generally ok... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #314043 21st Feb 2015 8:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>