Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Power steering gone heavy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
mattstevenson2005

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

I had the exact same issue however mine turned out to be a faulty BCM ECU, no signs of damage or water it just decided to become faulty, error shows as short circuit on the servotronic valve which is what caused the heavy steering, if the BCM doesn't get a steady and consistent resistance reading the ECM was show a fault and disable the valve assistance.

Matt Current
2012 Range Rover 5.0L SC Ultimate Edition
2012 Range Rover 4.4L TDV8 Autobiography
2010 Range Rover 3.6L TDV8 Autobiography
2003 Range Rover 4.4L V8 Bespoke Vehicle

Inventor of the retro fit paddle shift and many other modifications.
Creator of the custom 2010+ RR MK4 splash screen.
Creator of the Range Rover CarPC and lots more!

Founder of Range Rover Owner
rangeroverowner.com | Facebook.com/RangeRoverOwner | Latest Videos ➞ YouTube.com/RangeRoverOwner

Post #359526 29th Nov 2015 1:25pm
tb10

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

As Matt's reply above, yesterday I removed the passenger seat and made sure that the earthing point near the B post was grounding and now the doors unlock as they should and the power steering is working as it should. Therefore before you shell out on repairs spend 15 minutes removing the passenger seat (after first disconnecting the battery!!) and check the earthing!!

I hope this helps?

Regards

John

Post #360933 7th Dec 2015 9:18pm
Montys 4x4

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Carpathian Grey

Sounds like your problem is sorted Zain, but for others who might have a similar problem when I bought my 04 TD6 earlier this year the steering was very heavy at slow speed manoeuvring but okay when up to cruising speed (I have a 62 plate to compare it to). When it started to make my shoulder ache after a couple of months I checked fuses and cables but my servotronic valve was just a rusty lump so ordered one from Dan at Duckworths and set to changing it, pig of a job one bolt sheared and spent ages trying not to do the same to the other bolt. Fitted new item drilled through block and bought top quality marine grade longer bolts washers and nuts for just over a pound. Refilled with correct LR power steering fluid and hey presto full assistance until the speed related assistance comes in. My thoughts are that when the servotronic fails it leaves you with motorway steering assistance, perhaps your 50% assistance Zain.
I disassembled the old servotronic and applied power using a variable power supply to the pins and nothing happened I then chopped off the plug housing and applied directly onto the joints on the servo it then did some movement.

Journey started in a LR2B at 16 and has incl. just about every Land Rover, Disco, RRS and Range Rover Vehicle owned or driven, I even worked for the company when it was owned by BAe - It must be a madness!!! because to add to my 4.4 TDV8 Westminister In Baltic Blue I bought a second L322 as a commuter bus, TD6 2004 Vogue in Oslo Blue with cream leather now both gone replaced with what could turn out to be my biggest mistake. Carpathian Grey ivory interior 3.0 tdv6 Autobiog. 2017

Post #361034 8th Dec 2015 12:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12