Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Engine vibration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
alx

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Nara Bronze

Lost for Words, thanks again. It goes along with what mega flush garage has told me - i.e. it's not a paper filter so not worth changing it. If I go with AC TC, it's only £235+VAT so well worth a try as the unit comes with 12 months warranty. I will still try to get the main dealer to do it but failing that AC is the way to go.

Post #346092 4th Sep 2015 2:20pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Keep us informed with how you get on. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #346111 4th Sep 2015 4:01pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

axl, mate they are pulling your plonker and taking you for a ride at the same time, you are obviously in Beds, where I have no idea, but if the stealer that you are talking about is the Newport Pagnel one then I'd talk to these people http://www.woburn4x4.co.uk/, they really know their rangies, and do a lot of body off jobs without removing the body. And there is on way that they would charge anything like the amounts that you've been quoting Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #346174 4th Sep 2015 11:16pm
alx

miggit, I half suspected that might be the case and yes, the dealer is the one in Newport Pagnell.

Had a mega flush done today by Terrain Vehicles in Hastings. 16L of oil went in. The car felt smooth on the way back with no vibration at all (I tried hard). I will see how it's behaving over the next few days before deciding on what to do next. Good news - the gearbox can be removed with the body on.

Post #346514 7th Sep 2015 4:10pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

I could have told you that! it's a monocoque construction (means it has no chassis) so if you lift the body the rest will hit the floor running Wink They must brace the 2 subframes together to remove the body, or it must be performed by David Blaine Laughing

So from what I can gather, the ZF box can develop shudder without a nackered torque converter, and responds well to power flushing. I think that you've had a lucky escape bud Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #346577 7th Sep 2015 10:23pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Glad to hear it's running nicely - that is a good sign. Bear in mind it can still come back though. Thumbs Up

Quote:
it's a monocoque construction

Stupid me! I knew that, but so used to thinking from a D3/RRS perspective. Laughing

Quote:
and responds well to power flushing

They certainly can, but results do vary. A flush + Dr Tranny got me an extra ~20k, others have been less fortumate, and some have caught it early and it's cured it permanently. Something I should point out is that issues can become apparent after a flush that were previously masked by contaminated fluid - there's a significant risk on higher mileage boxes, so it needs to be considered carefully. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #346614 8th Sep 2015 9:09am
alx

A little update. I drove the car on and off and the 30-50 vibration hasn't reappeared (touching wood).

There's another vibration which is still there and which I thought would be of the same nature but it might not be. Upon a cold start, before the vehicle moves, there's a distinct and slow paced (as opposed to the 30-50mph one) shaking of the engine and body which goes away as soon as you accelerate. Reversing and/or moving slowly doesn't get rid of it. When it happened yesterday (few good hours after the flush and when the vehicle was cold), I quickly hooked up my scanner and there were no fault codes. It all sounds like an injector failure pretty much but with no code thrown by the car. In our ownership, 2 injectors (1 and 8 ) have been replaced under warranty. What does it sound like to you guys? Anyone can comment on that?

Thanks

Post #346635 8th Sep 2015 10:54am
miggit

United Kingdom 

I had 2 injectors give up the ghost a few weeks ago on my TD6, they didn't throw up any codes at all Sad But form having what I feared was TCC failure, starting again, for a few weeks, to the injectors actually failing totally, so that the car felt like it had very bad clutch judder at low revs. It has all gone with the replacement of the nackered injectors, and all of the injectors were cleaned ( in an ultrasonic cleaner, not some wonder juice in the tank ).

Some where on here there is a thread on power flushing the gearbox and a large debate on the frequency, I get the feeling that 40K was the sweet spot for ZF longevity Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #346938 9th Sep 2015 11:00pm
alx

Just to update this thread. After the mega flush with the Wynn's machine last August, the dreadful 30-50 mph vibration has never returned. As I was preparing myself to get a replacement TC, I'm happy with the 250£ spent on the flush.

Post #374833 29th Feb 2016 10:52am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Well now that you've got to the bottom of the problem and solved it, have the dealers offered to pay the expense... as it was under warranty.... and they have failed to hold up their end of the contract... Whistle sounds like a breach to me Wink

Which ever way they try to spin it, I'd say that you have very good grounds... if they say it was a service issue, then they have failed to follow correct procedures.... if they claim it's ware and tare, the box is sealed for life and the rest of the car is still going...

Personally after the wonderful service that you've received I'd be looking for my costs back and an apology. It rattles my cage when peeps are sold warranty's that aren't worth the paper they are written on, you obviously went to the main dealers for piece of mind, and got shafted with a load of excuses.... Just think how much financial pain you'd be in if you weren't on this forum.... recon you'd have a new gearbox by now Shocked It's not on when the people you trust try and leg you over, make them pay Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #374840 29th Feb 2016 11:47am
alx

I'd probably start with the TC and worse comes to worst try and rebuild the gearbox myself. I do have a letter from the dealership confirming that if the vibration turns into fault, they would take care of the car even when it's out of warranty. In fact it was their suggestion to keep driving it until something gives as they couldn't find the cause after looking at the car a few times. I've had LR involved in this as well so they can't back out. I don't want to use the mega flush card to get my 250 back. I will use it when the time comes to get a newer RR. Twisted Evil Laughing

Post #375055 1st Mar 2016 10:25am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I would at the very least be asking the dealer to now service the gearbox properly for you... The megaflush has missed the filter change which if you were having TC issues will be potentially full of “stuff”

The filter is NOT a gauze filter! Its a paper material and has been discussed/debated to death on here... Rolling Eyes In essence the Megaflush machine operators/owners either don’t want to change the filter (more work) or think the price will put customers off so suggest to people like you “the client” that the filter is “just a strainer” and “does not warrant changing”

Well, you work it out sir... You had your g/box flushed 6 months ago now and are still driving the car with the original filter in it! If i were the owner, i would now be looking at servicing the gearbox, changing the filter and inspecting what comes out!

Just my 2p worth... If nothing else, it would give you piece of mind sir Thumbs Up

Post #375067 1st Mar 2016 11:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12