stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

also found this in the WM....item number 9 is the wiper relay,

Post #423327 17th Jan 2017 5:33pm
funnyguy1

United States 

The box is actually located in front of the battery. It is the big plastic box with the 10 tore screws. Now i just have to find the wiper replay

Post #423392 17th Jan 2017 10:28pm
funnyguy1

United States 

So let me ask this question. The windshield wipers when turned off, stop about mid screen. Are there 2 relays? 1 for wipers and one for intermittent wipers???

Post #423406 17th Jan 2017 11:14pm
funnyguy1

United States 

Hi All,

So, on a 2008 FFRR the windshield wiper relay is located in the plastic box in front of the battery. I just pulled the brown
relay located there while the wipers were running and they stopped so now I will install a new relay. I am not sure what is located behind the battery unless it has to do with the "intermittent" function. Thanks for all your reply's!!! Mike

Post #423425 18th Jan 2017 2:54am
funnyguy1

United States 

One more question. The reason I am replacing the windshield wiper relay is that the wipers are stopping mid screen when turned off. I was told it might be the relay?? Has anyone else had this problem?
My new relay gets here tomorrow and if that does not correct it, the only other thing I can think of is the wiper motor?? Thanks in advance!

Post #423876 20th Jan 2017 12:01am
miggit

United Kingdom 

That sounds more like a fault with the parking sensor in the wiper motor... as the dealer said yank the fuse first and see if that does it.. the relay can cause problems, but it normally fails by not sending the park signal to the ECU.. then it has a fit and stops the wipers for a few minutes.. not much fun when the only time you know there is a problem your using the bloody wipers because its raining Evil or Very Mad

It might be worth looking at the motor if it persists... there must be trigger on the gear wheel to indicate the park position, maybe there's some muck in it causing the ECU to get the signal at the wrong point in the rotation Rolling Eyes Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #423886 20th Jan 2017 12:45am
funnyguy1

United States 

Thank you!! The new relay will be here tomorrow and if it doesn't work i'll look at the motor!

Post #423893 20th Jan 2017 4:14am
funnyguy1

United States 

Installed new relay and it didn't fix he problem so now looking at new windshield wiper motor.

Post #424068 21st Jan 2017 3:57am
AB54FLY

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Believe it or not I've just had exactly the same issue, 2007 4.2SC. My wipers would park at 90 degrees, once in a while at 45. Replaced the relay in the box in the engine bay yesterday, the one you have replaced. Exactly the same result - no difference.
So today I have stripped the motor to look at the parking micro switch.

The switch was fine and the more I looked the more I became convinced that the motor had stopped in the park position before I took it off. Hang on, the motor is parked but the wipers are at 90 degrees???? Something wasn't right.

The fulcrum arm is fitted to the motor output shaft on a tapered, splined shaft. Looking carefully at the splines I could see evidence that the arm had slipped round. I guess the nut couldn't fully tighten the shaft onto the taper, allowing just enough slack to allow the air to lift and rotate. It tried the wipers themselves to see if one of the spindles was seized or something but everything was fine, nice and smooth.

So I've refitted the motor using a large washer on the fulcrum arm securing nut (large enough so that it could clear the shoulder on the shaft and allow the nut to fullly bear down on the fulcrum arm), with the wipers in the parked position. Wipers work as they should.

I don't know how long they will last, clearly the output shaft is worn. But it has got me going again for now.

I'll see how long it lasts.

Post #424094 21st Jan 2017 2:27pm
funnyguy1

United States 

Thanks AB! I'm not sure of tearing into the windshield wiper, it might be a little to much for my mechanical skills. Where is the motor located? Thanks! Mike

Post #424115 21st Jan 2017 5:16pm
AB54FLY

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Well, on my right hand drive car the motor is on the right hand side of the car. It's directly under the scuttle (the grill at the bottom of the windshield), inside the engine compartment right at the back. Access on mine wasn't too bad. A 13mm nut holds the fulcrum arm to the shaft, then 3 10mm bolts hold the motor to the bracket.

If it happens again I would just remove the 13mm nut, then the fulcrum arm, make sure the motor is in its park position (i.e. with the arm released operate the wipers and turn them off so the motor can return to its parked position) then I would move the wipers down to their parked position, refit the fulcrum arm and refit the nut. Obviously if it does happen again I might well be looking at a new motor as its probable that the output shaft is too badly worn. I'm not suggesting you do this Mike, not without knowing for certain that the arm has turned on the shaft.

I think I've seen pictures that on left hand drive cars the motor is in the same area but on the left of the car, but I may well be wrong. I'm not sure access would be as easy with it over on the left because of the angle that the motor is fitted.

Let me know how you get on.

Andrew

Post #424128 21st Jan 2017 6:32pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Shocked Wobbly Nuts Shocked

Sounds like a possible job for JB Weld if the shaft is worn Thumbs Up

So I suppose that I should have looked, even the LR parts diagram shows that the arm is bolted to the motor...
 Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #424136 21st Jan 2017 7:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12