Home > General > New supercharged?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jimmyboy

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey
New supercharged?

Hi All,

I recently ditched the 3.6TDV8 2010my FFRR Vogue SE for an Aston Martin Vantage. Infatuation with the Astons looks and speed got the better of me, and before I knew it, there was a 6 month old aston on my drive!

My plan was to pick up a "normal" car, like a golf or similar, to do the running around. But on thinking about driving a "normal" car, it simply doesn't excite me. I don't want that to sound snobbish, its just i really enjoy that with either the FFRR or the Aston, even a quick trip to the shops turns into an "event" and i look forward to driving!

Now, as much as I love the Aston, i'm already starting to miss the refinement and comfort of the FFRR. So i've been thinking about picking up a new FFRR, instead of a normal run-around, whilst keeping the Aston as well (just too awesome to let go!). Since having the aston, I've been really taken with the 4.7L V8, and have been thinking how good the FFRR would be with a similar engine - Cue the 5L Supercharged thoughts.

So im left with the thought of getting a new supercharged autobiography, but I would very much appreciate the "well educated in all things FFRR" thoughts of this forum on a few questions i have:-

1) Do the new supercharged FFRR's offer significantly less value than the TDV8 equivalent in terms of depreciation due to petrol prices?

2) Im thinking of going for the "pay 55-60% now, and the balance in 2yrs time 0% interest option", but have a thought that this may limit any potential discount I may be able to get - thoughts?

3) The Autobiography seems to come fully loaded, but does anyone have any suggestions for some optional extras I should go for? I had in mind the vision assist pack, side steps and the upgraded 1200w audio option.

4) I enjoy being the first to own/drive a car, but should i consider a "nearly new" 6 months old or similar model?

5) Do i just hold out for the brand new 2012 model?

Things to consider - I don't do mega miles, maybe 8000-10000 a year. Cost/value is important, but not top priority.

I know the above dilemma / questions are quite broad, but any thoughts are much appreciated.

Cheers, James.

Post #56970 27th Mar 2011 5:51pm
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Take a look on the LR website at the used vehicle locator and see what the dealer network has available as used - you can adjust the search parameters so you could limit it to ex-demo cars 6 months old and above a certain price.

You could of course buy a used 4.4TDV8 and ALSO put your name down on the list for the new L405 at the same time and then chop in the 4.4 for a new model..................... then you won't loose quite as much as if you chopped in a 5.0ltre within a year! 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #56972 27th Mar 2011 6:08pm
johnson1

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black
Re: New supercharged?

jimmyboy wrote:
Hi All,

I recently ditched the 3.6TDV8 2010my FFRR Vogue SE for an Aston Martin Vantage. Infatuation with the Astons looks and speed got the better of me, and before I knew it, there was a 6 month old aston on my drive!

My plan was to pick up a "normal" car, like a golf or similar, to do the running around. But on thinking about driving a "normal" car, it simply doesn't excite me. I don't want that to sound snobbish, its just i really enjoy that with either the FFRR or the Aston, even a quick trip to the shops turns into an "event" and i look forward to driving!

Now, as much as I love the Aston, i'm already starting to miss the refinement and comfort of the FFRR. So i've been thinking about picking up a new FFRR, instead of a normal run-around, whilst keeping the Aston as well (just too awesome to let go!). Since having the aston, I've been really taken with the 4.7L V8, and have been thinking how good the FFRR would be with a similar engine - Cue the 5L Supercharged thoughts.

So im left with the thought of getting a new supercharged autobiography, but I would very much appreciate the "well educated in all things FFRR" thoughts of this forum on a few questions i have:-

1) Do the new supercharged FFRR's offer significantly less value than the TDV8 equivalent in terms of depreciation due to petrol prices?

2) Im thinking of going for the "pay 55-60% now, and the balance in 2yrs time 0% interest option", but have a thought that this may limit any potential discount I may be able to get - thoughts?

3) The Autobiography seems to come fully loaded, but does anyone have any suggestions for some optional extras I should go for? I had in mind the vision assist pack, side steps and the upgraded 1200w audio option.

4) I enjoy being the first to own/drive a car, but should i consider a "nearly new" 6 months old or similar model?

Things to consider - I don't do mega miles, maybe 8000-10000 a year. Cost/value is important, but not top priority.

I know the above dilemma / questions are quite broad, but any thoughts are much appreciated.

Cheers, James.

Hello

Picked up my new 4.4 Autobiography recently (photos coming soon). In terms of extras, mine is pretty high spec with rear entertainment, seat pack 3, vision assist. The stereo is of excellent quality and I wouldn't justify the upgraded one. Side steps aren't really necessary in access height. In terms of the engine, I'm not sure how much you'd notice the 5.0 compared with the 4.4 TDV8. It really doesn't feel like a diesel and I've come from a very very fast car myself (5.0 V10)! Supercharged depreciates considerably but there is actually very little discount available on TDV8s. I doubt you'd get much discount with the 0% APR offer.

I was told the 2012 model will be launched Sept 2012 (in theory) but available to customers from March 2013. I have also been advised by many to avoid any new product launch from any brand and from seeing some of the reliability of some of the LR/RR products, I'd certainly avoid a launch car - at my current rate, I would plan to replace mine around March 2014.

Hope this helps.

Post #56973 27th Mar 2011 6:12pm
AMD

United Kingdom 

Have you thought about buying a used 4.2 SC? For value for money they are excellent, that's the way I went and it complements the Vantage very well. I then intend to purchase a new 2013MY as soon as it comes out.

Oh, and a Virage to go with it Cool Current MY2020
Gone: 1 x L405 and 2 x L322's

Post #56975 27th Mar 2011 6:24pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

Quote:

My opinion...

1) You will pay a lot more for the petrol and it'll lose a fair % more in value than a diesel of the same age further down the line. Quite simply, the Supercharged is awesome. And it's ability to depreciate is the same, like most big petrol cars that will shortly be replaced by a newer, lighter and more fuel efficient model.

2) That just sounds to me like buying a big lump of depreciation. You just get slapped further down the line!

3) Autobiography should have nearly everthing you need.

4) You bought a 6 month old Aston didn't you? If so it's not an issue. Buy an older one and save a fortune.
You said you loved the Aston and couldn't part with it.

5) I would, if you want to go new. But I'd also avoid one built in the first 6 months while Land Rover edit out all the design faults. Personally, if I paid a fortune for a new car and then had several trips to the dealers to get faults fixed I'd be furious and it'd spoil the whole ownership experience. LR/RR rarely produce a new model that doesn't have faults. But they do correct them on the production line for future cars being built.

Post #56988 27th Mar 2011 7:03pm
CSK

France 2013 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

For having testdriven both the 4.4 TDV8 and 5.0 SC, I would definitely go for the petrol one.
Of course it will depreciate more but like I mentioned in a previous thread, I fear for problems with the DPF on the diesel as many cars seem to have problems with the particulate filter which could mean expensive repairs in the long run when the car is out of warranty.
Also, as much as the 4.4 TDV8 is a great drive, the petrol is more refined in my view and makes it more special.
As for the next model, we don't have any information on the model yet save for the fact it will weigh less, they will probably have to downsize engines as well in future to comply with the new emission laws.
The L322 is a great car and a classic shape already, finances permitting I would buy a 5.0 SC and then wait untill the new model comes out to see what it looks like and if it is really an improvement on the current car, you might end up keeping what you've got.
And if you like the new 2013 shape, better wait untill the car is fully sorted before buying one!

Post #57003 27th Mar 2011 9:05pm
xjsracer44

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Java Black

Why don't you test drive the supercharged and see what you think. You've already got rid of one diesel, so why go for another one?

I know the 4.4 is a vast improvement but having test driven one and done the Land Rover Experience in one, it's still a diesel and in my opinion doesn't even come close to the supercharged for driving pleasure and refinement.

I agree with CSK, go for what you like, either a nearly new one with a really big saving, or under the 50% now 50% in two years deal I think you can hand the car back after 2 years and get a new model, if you like it.

Post #57006 27th Mar 2011 9:27pm
bozmandb9

I would say go for the S/C. Especially if you may be minded to keep it for a few years. It may be part of a dying breed the way things are going, so make hay whilst the sun shines! I suspect that the new Range (double entendre), is less likely to have a great big blown petrol engine one around.

With your mileage fuel economy isn't an issue, so why not? Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #57022 27th Mar 2011 10:16pm
bogie

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

I prefer to have two older cars rather than one new one that will lose 50% in depreciation in a couple of years

so a few year old FFRR V8 and a Aston Vantage for the weekend it is Smile

surely just the cost to change cars + depreciation when you drive a new one away, will nearly buy you an early Vantage as a runabout ? cheers
bogie

Post #57033 27th Mar 2011 11:06pm
pretlove

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

WOW i wish i had this dilema Mr. Green "RANGEISM WILL NOT BE TOLERATED"
www.futuresecurityservices.co.uk
Pretlove says , '' I want my car back Sad "

Post #57034 27th Mar 2011 11:37pm
jimmyboy

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Hi all,

Many thanks for the replies. I get the general feeling for outright refinement, S/C is the way to go. I think i'll go for a test drive of the S/C, and if I like it (ha, i'm guessing i will!), i'll consult the bean counters and see if I can stretch to a new one. Im my mind I will Keep the S/C for quite some time, (4-5yrs) so depreciation is less of a concern. I've been through quite a few new cars over last couple of years (RRS, FFRR V SE, BMW M3, Aston), so i'd like to think with a new FFRR S/C and the Aston, I have the best of both worlds and stop giving the stealerships so much business!!

On looking into the S/C a bit more, I noticed she's not been blessed with the new 8 speed ZF gearbox, as on the 4.4tdv8. Any reason for this other than torque/bhp curve of the S/C is better suited to 6 speed?

Cheers all.

Post #57062 28th Mar 2011 10:55am
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

The 4.4 is a 2011MY "new" model - S/C is still 2010MY design - you might see the 8 speeder in the runout cars for 2012MY 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #57066 28th Mar 2011 11:19am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

the 5.0l Supercharged is in high demand in the used market at present so I would not expect significantly greater depreciation over the 4.4 TDV8 bin the short/medium term.

I have three buyers wanting one!

Go with your heart and enjoy what is an amazing car that is quite simply the top of the range....
Thumbs Up

Post #57069 28th Mar 2011 11:26am
Lookers Park Royal

James

We have just taken in a 12 month old 5.0 SC in Black Ivory with a few bits inc Rear Seat Entertainment, remote park heating, TPMS etc, but with only 2000 miles on the clock. Customer has bought 6 or 7 Range Rover's from us in the last 5 years but only keeps them a short while. He was chatting to me on Saturday about his 911 which is due for change this year as it will be 3 years old and has 1,700 miles on the clock!! Shocked

New it would now be just under £90,000 with the VAT increase, this one is £72,900.

http://www.lookers.co.uk/used-cars/search/...ange-Rover

We also have a brand new stock Autobiography SC (Santorini Black with Jet Leather, Black wood, privacy glass, Rear Seat Entertainment, jet headlining) which is going to be a demonstrator by close of play on Thursday (last day of March), however we are happy to sell in the meantime if it fits the bill? If not then it will be available in 3-4 months as an ex-demonstrator.

Let me know if either are of interest? If you are only in Berkshire then you are welcome to come and have a drive in one.

Regards,

James Thumbs Up

Post #57076 28th Mar 2011 11:40am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

My advice is head for Lookers.... Thumbs Up

Post #57077 28th Mar 2011 11:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>