Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > HELP NEEDED DRIVERS DOOR WONT OPEN !!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
l322 mark

England 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Java Black
HELP NEEDED DRIVERS DOOR WONT OPEN !!

hi , i have a problem and need help , my 2003 drives door wont open from the inside or out ? i got in in tonight moved it off the drive went to get back in it and the door would not open so i locked and unlocked it but still no luck . you can hear the locking motor working in the door when u lock and unlock and the button goes up and down !. i dont know how the set up works inside the door but i would of thought that either the inside or outside handel would of opened it but both dont !. so now im really stuck as i cant get in and i would of thought it will be a hard job to get door card off with door shut ,......any ideas ......kind regards mark

Post #10469 4th Jan 2010 10:39pm
JOKER

Scotland 

How many times did you try to lock and unlock the door within a minute ...... Dont do it any more than 3 times ........

Post #10471 4th Jan 2010 10:51pm
l322 mark

MICK wrote:
How many times did you try to lock and unlock the door within a minute ...... Dont do it any more than 3 times ........

i may well have from wot i see on the net it is the door lock that has failed .....but how do i open the door .... Confused

Post #10476 4th Jan 2010 11:33pm
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Mine did this the other day. Not sure whether it's related to the cold weather, but I found that when I opened the door, it wouldn't shut. The door kept bouncing open. I had to get into the car, hold the door shut then hit the master lock button under the hazard warning switch. Then, the door wouldn't unlock and I ended up climbing out of the passenger seat! Works ok now. 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #10487 5th Jan 2010 6:02pm
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

will it not unlok with the key... V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #10495 5th Jan 2010 7:35pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

mark, This is caused by the door locking mechanism freezing inside. I had exactly the same thing last week. You need to get some WD40 type spray with a thin pipe attachment and spray inside everything - the key hole, the handle and the lock inside. Also, wipe round the rubber with glycerin or teflon spray to keep the rubber from sticking. It is wise to wipe round the main door frame with a cloth when it is warm and get rid of excess moisture and dirt which aids sticking. Mine was outside in -8 last night and opened no probs this morn. (PS as you can see from the lack of response on "landyzone" this is a far better, friendlier and helpful forum!) Wink

Post #10501 5th Jan 2010 8:16pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Landzone? Shocked

We don't use language like that on this forum thank you. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #10537 5th Jan 2010 10:38pm
adara

Romania 2019 Range Rover Vogue 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

A week ago the driver’s door wouldn’t open from the outside anymore. After documenting I started dismantling the door panel, and after removing the foam padding I found that the cable that connects the door handle to the lock was broken. It is difficult to remove the cable through the tiny hole, but the most difficult part was to remove the round cable end that remained stuck in the handle. It is the second time a cable fails on me (the first was the hood one) and I find this really annoying, it’s either a design flaw or use of bad components. I also noticed that the cable was wet from the water that probably pours through the window seals.On such a pricey car it’s just intolerable, also because replacing it is not really easy. Anyway, I have to wait another week for the 13 Euro cable now...

Last edited by adara on 7th Jan 2010 10:16pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #10553 6th Jan 2010 7:35am
andyw

England 2002 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver

mmmm i had my cable brake in sep this year i swaped it over for a new one (your right the end was very difficult to get out), 1 month later the cable popped out of its seat Crying or Very sad but did not snap Razz no probs since. i put this down to one of those things on a 8 year old car

any one else had this nigling problem 02 Range Rover HSE Zambezie silver 4.4

Post #10607 6th Jan 2010 8:23pm
l322 mark

Dolphinboy wrote:
mark, This is caused by the door locking mechanism freezing inside. I had exactly the same thing last week. You need to get some WD40 type spray with a thin pipe attachment and spray inside everything - the key hole, the handle and the lock inside. Also, wipe round the rubber with glycerin or teflon spray to keep the rubber from sticking. It is wise to wipe round the main door frame with a cloth when it is warm and get rid of excess moisture and dirt which aids sticking. Mine was outside in -8 last night and opened no probs this morn. (PS as you can see from the lack of response on "landyzone" this is a far better, friendlier and helpful forum!) Wink

im sorry i wont use that site again Neutral
well this is turning out to be a strange one i think wot you are saying is right but its all a bit strange.....after a whole night of not being able to get in it , i went to it the next night and it opened !! so i opened ans shtut it about 6 times and it was fine ..so i locked it and the same problem happend wont re open !!!! .after loads of trys i gave up ,had a look at getting door card of but with door shut it would wreck it . so i left it again, tonight i go to it and it opens so i remove door card and it looks like there is water around the locking mech ..so i sprayed it with wd40 locked and unlocked .....all was working fine ....then it stopped working all together all the other doors lock and unlock but not the drives it does nothing ..but at least i can get in .
so now wot is next to do could this be a fuse gone now ,my thinking is that a new mech is needed any ideas ......(thanks for all your help) mark

Post #10612 6th Jan 2010 8:39pm
adara

Romania 2019 Range Rover Vogue 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

As some of us found water all over cables and mechanism I believe this could mess with the oversensitive electronics of the car...

Post #10715 7th Jan 2010 10:07pm
RRV

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

I have vaselined all my rubbers today!!!!!!!!!!!! Whistle If you have nothing nice to say,say nothing at all.

Post #10716 7th Jan 2010 10:19pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

I have been having this exact same problem for two days now, it is -8 here in the bright sunshine.

I found that if the car was allowed to warm up for around 30 to 45 minutes - engine on and the drivers heat vents blowing onto the drivers door the door and lock works fine - must be water or more likley condensation freezing in the mechanism somewhere. Blooming pain on a shoot climbing over seats with muddy boots, and I thought spaniels had mucky habbits Shocked

Post #10751 8th Jan 2010 11:54am
inkiboo

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

RRV wrote:
I have vaselined all my rubbers today!!!!!!!!!!!! Whistle

And what about the Range Rover's rubbers?

Post #10770 8th Jan 2010 1:50pm
RRV

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

Whistle Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Bow down If you have nothing nice to say,say nothing at all.

Post #10779 8th Jan 2010 2:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>