Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Double Dilemma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Nogbag

United Kingdom 
Double Dilemma

Still on the hunt for a Fullfat and I have found 2 fairly near to me which I think worth a look. One is an '03 4.4 V8 Vogue with 126,000 at £5,700! The other is an '07 with 3.6 TDV8 Vogue with 100,000 but £14,500. Both have service history (ie fully stamped up books!) the latter also has receipts etc. My dilemma - buy the older / cheapie and have lots of wonga in reserve for when it goes wrong or I could just about afford the TDV8 and pray to the gods / take up witchcraft.
Hoping for some interesting replies ...
(PS As 2nd cars they will probably do less than 5k a year)

Post #272780 25th Jul 2014 5:03pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Look at both, see who owns them, find out where the car lives/ has lived, inspect well, ask many questions about history (including why one has the receipts to back the stamped book and one does not?) and decide if either might be the one for you?

Then, consider paying an expert to inspect the one you prefer, if either (e.g book in with AJR Engineering Oldham and pay for their expertise via their hourly labour rate to fault find, or not as the case may be)?

Just some starting thoughts.

Thumbs Up

Post #272782 25th Jul 2014 5:11pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Personally, I think the newer one will be a lot better.

HOWEVER, if you drive the older one, find it has been well kept, and really like it then maybe that's enough Range a Rover for you. I have an 08 and yes, I think the 10+ models are better but they're not better enough to warrant the extra cost to ME. You could say the same thing about the 03.

Agree with the professional inspection. After all, you don't want to be paying TDV8 money just to service the 03.

Post #272798 25th Jul 2014 6:10pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Why is the cheaper one so cheap?! I didn't that many were hitting below £8k unless they had issues or very high miles even these days?

To be honest it could be a money put but when yor saving £10k that buys a lot of servicing and fuel.

If it were me and I got the cheaper one I'd expect to spend about £1k in servicing straight away.

Items on the list would be ALL fluids, boxes, coolant...
Then suspension bushes would likely need doing if not already one and budgeting for airbags and a compressor as well if they haven't been changed as they are on borrowed time at 11years old now imo. Not too expensive but another thing to watch for.

Tdv8's are generally holding well iom as they have all the interior and exterior facelift bits most people want and are pretty strong engines, great for towin and still semi respectable economy and range on a run. FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #272888 26th Jul 2014 12:07pm
Weejock

2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Epsom Green

That is a big difference in price, you could buy two of the older ones and still have a chunk of change compared to the newer one so to me it's a no brainer. Obviously you need to make sure it's not going to bite you in the bum as soon as you buy it but generally the 4.4 is less likely to give trouble than the same era TD6 (thinking gearbox mainly, engines probably equally OK). If you can find one that's been looked after with recent expensive stuff done then it's worth paying a bit more but even then they should still come in at half the price of the TDV8 you quoted.
Whatever one you buy you WILL need money in reserve for things that go wrong, they were a £60k+ car when new and have an equivalent repair cost. They are also not the most reliable beasts compared to Japanese equivalents but you can forgive it when you drive it, such a nice place to be.

Post #272901 26th Jul 2014 2:31pm
andy180

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

I think you perhaps need to have a think about what you ideally want from the car. The 4.4 V8 is a lovely car which has a lovely sound and is extremely smooth but the TDV8 is obviously a much newer motor, although arguable less reliable than a 4.4 with the old Turbo issues Whistle

How about a Supercharged? Now: BMW 640d M Sport, Alpine White
Gone: Range Rover 4.4 V8 Vogue, Zambezi Silver, Charcoal Oxford Leather
Also: Mk1 Audi TT 1.8T Quattro, Brilliant Black
[URL=]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Post #272902 26th Jul 2014 2:32pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

The TDV8 will have the revised interior with terrain response. Also keep in mind the road tax on the TDV8 will be about double that of the older car. Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #272904 26th Jul 2014 2:37pm
Nogbag

United Kingdom 
Double (Triple) Dilemma

Thanks for all the replies folks - all sound advice for the melting pot so I think another night of disturbed sleep lies ahead. I'm under no illusions that I will need to have a reserve fund. The petrol V8 will give me a much bigger safety net but just to complicate it even further (Andy 180)! I'm waiting for details of a Supercharged which is up for about £11,500.

Post #272972 26th Jul 2014 9:33pm
TheAllSeeingPie

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged Supercharged Java Black

Supercharged it is then! 
07 Supercharged - Still breaking her in!

Boot soundproofing part 1 - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15612.html
Custom exhaust - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15296.html
18" wheels for Brembo equipped cars - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15052.html

Post #273023 27th Jul 2014 11:21am
Chauch

England 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Supercharged all the way if the condition is right Smile 4.2 Supercharged Vogue SE

Post #273025 27th Jul 2014 11:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1