Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Fitted a Snorkel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

kingpleb wrote:

Looks fantastic!!

You ran into the same issue as me, nowhere was interested in making one other than a bespoke unit for a 4 figure sum!

Interesting you used the D3 unit as I was looking at using one from a P38 or XJ jeep so it would run along the wing.
What have you done about the elbow and airbox inside as thats not water tight from the wing to the inlet? Also the Axle breathers come up in the engine bay so these could get plumbed into the post airfilter but pre turbo pipework to keep them only using clean air.

Thanks for your thoughts, all gratefully received, always good to get different pair of eyes on an issue and another point of view

A custom built one would be a fortune I guess

Don't know if the diesel is different but the pipe from the wing to the airbox is pretty well sealed on mine, there are two inner wings and the pipe between them is totally sealed, the pipe then goes down round a bend and back up to the airbox, the join to the airbox has a rubber "O" ring on it, so thats sealed as well, the airbox top has another "O" ring and is sealed, the MAF is just a tight fit and I will look at doing something there but when you cover the top of the snorklel it actually pulls it tighter and there will be minimal water getting in. the airpipe to inlet manifold has a rubber seal and seems to be well sealed. There is another pipe from the airbox to what I believe is some sort of petrol vapour breather and that is sealed to the airbox, there is a drain in the bottom of the airbox to let water out with a little one way valve and I've cleaned that out and made sure it works OK. I know it won't be totally watertight but I think it will be enough for the type of wading you get whilst greenlaning...

Didn't like the look of the ones that come right along the wing and the rake of the screen is different and they don't allow for the bonnet to open as their too tight to the bodywork... the Disco one seamed the best option...

kingpleb wrote:

The next big thing you have to do if you haven't already is seal the cabin supply box up. Dont faff around too much with this as i found spending 10minutes taking it off and cover the firewall/bulkhead tubes was the easiest method.

The doors and stuff you should fine are fine as they are double sealed but remove the seals if they look even slightly funny and feed them rubber feed like the gummi phelge stuff reccomended on here somewhere to keep them soft! i've had water up the side windows on the passenger side and coming over the windscreen on a water crossing before and not suffered from it due to the engines air pocket and the water height dropping massively on the drivers side so it was well under the wing intake

Do you mean the heater intake, I was going to cut a piece of rubber matting, open the bonnet, lay it over the intake and then shut the bonnet to trap it in place and stop water getting in.

I will check all the seals, I know the drivers door one is worn a bit but it's quite high up so shouldn't be too much bother, they did hold the water back for several minutes when we were stuck in the river.

kingpleb wrote:

Glad to see some more MTR's being used in anger! If they ever wear out look to get the Scorpion ATR tyres as they are getting great ratings on the disco forum and dont suffer like the MTR's do when used on the road in wet weather Smile

They seem pretty good to me in the wet but I don't drive it too fast, I do like the look of the Scorpians so they will be contenders

I am enjoying this pioneering work, won't get it right first time every time but hopefully over a period of time I'll get there... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #273294 28th Jul 2014 7:21pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Brilliant good job Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #273302 28th Jul 2014 8:00pm
Haylands

Weejock wrote:
Now that is an impressive install! I can certainly appreciate how much effort has gone into that and it makes it look like a factory kit too.
Out of interest what else are going to do prep wise for wading? The amount of electrics would worry me plus the aging door seals! Incidentally I came across 'CorrosionX' for another project which is used in the US military on aircraft for corrosion protection with having the adding benefit of making electrical connections water resistant. It's like a thick WD40 but with high di-electric strength so even circuit boards can be coated in the stuff. Might be worth spraying your electrics with some.

Thanks for the praise.... glad you think it looks "factory"

The sensitive bit of electrics is the BECM which lives under the passenger seat, this is covered in lacquer, was under water in mine and didn't seem to mind....

The ICE units in the boot died....

The suspension pump is clever enough to pump water and not worry and is working fine after a good clean and dry.

Door seals lasted for some time, I think most of the water came in through other areas, where the handbrake cables go through the floor look favorite... the boot filled up due to the monkey who fitted the LPG tank, looks like the holes in the floor were made with a blunt hammer!!!! and they let it pour in.....

Off to look at CorrosionX now, thanks for the heads up.... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #273304 28th Jul 2014 8:09pm
sako243

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Very impressive work Bow down something I shall probably do to my FF when the warranty expires. Although half-tempted to see if I can make the entire intake out of carbon fibre (convenient thermal chamber at work!).

If you want to seal electronics then this stuff is literally magic gel. Simply mix the parts and pour in. You can peel it off if needbe and adjust components and IP68 rates everything contained within it.

Not the cheapest of potting materials but easily removable and really is the bees knees.

Post #273317 28th Jul 2014 9:03pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

The big inlets in the boot area are the breathers either side of the boot. you can seal them as they are just plastic cartridges so can be pulled out and a blanking plate made and glued in place using windscreen adhesive.

The boot seals would be my next contender and a check on the grommets in there as well. A Vaseline lube should help there as well.

I forgot to check and you have the 4.4 where as i have the TD6 and haven't really seen a 4.4 in detail under the bonnet.

The heater box seal you've suggested will work a little but there are still gaps around the heater filter box air can get in so removal would be my recommendation to allow plugging it and just leave the car on air recirc Smile also turn your AC off before entering deeper water as it will cut the electric fan out as this is at the front if its at any speed it could damage it but they are 3 speed fans so if the engine is toasty it could be at full speed, especially off-roading at low speeds...

You could in theory bag up the rear electrics but leave the top of the bag open so that they could vent, possibly thru the grille at the top of the plastic shelf above them? The amp may be more difficult but a sealed bag with small vent pipe and small fan in it to extract air upto the point above and another to allow inflow could work. FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #273319 28th Jul 2014 9:23pm
Haylands

sako243 wrote:
Very impressive work Bow down something I shall probably do to my FF when the warranty expires. Although half-tempted to see if I can make the entire intake out of carbon fibre (convenient thermal chamber at work!).

If you want to seal electronics then this stuff is literally magic gel. Simply mix the parts and pour in. You can peel it off if needbe and adjust components and IP68 rates everything contained within it.

Not the cheapest of potting materials but easily removable and really is the bees knees.

Can I come and borrow it.... plan 2 was to take the outer wing off, spray everything with wd40, put the wing back on and fill the entire area with expanding form, then take the wing off, foam falls out, sand 5mm off the foam all round and make a perfect fit size intake and doing it in KF would be fun....

That stuff does look good but I'm not a great fan of sealing things up totally, found in the past that you then get condensation build up inside which leads to more problems. Pete

Post #273331 28th Jul 2014 10:06pm
Haylands

kingpleb wrote:
The big inlets in the boot area are the breathers either side of the boot. you can seal them as they are just plastic cartridges so can be pulled out and a blanking plate made and glued in place using windscreen adhesive.

The boot seals would be my next contender and a check on the grommets in there as well. A Vaseline lube should help there as well.

I forgot to check and you have the 4.4 where as i have the TD6 and haven't really seen a 4.4 in detail under the bonnet.

The heater box seal you've suggested will work a little but there are still gaps around the heater filter box air can get in so removal would be my recommendation to allow plugging it and just leave the car on air recirc Smile also turn your AC off before entering deeper water as it will cut the electric fan out as this is at the front if its at any speed it could damage it but they are 3 speed fans so if the engine is toasty it could be at full speed, especially off-roading at low speeds...

You could in theory bag up the rear electrics but leave the top of the bag open so that they could vent, possibly thru the grille at the top of the plastic shelf above them? The amp may be more difficult but a sealed bag with small vent pipe and small fan in it to extract air upto the point above and another to allow inflow could work.

Cheers, I'll have an explore....

Going to junk the head unit and all the original ICE and use one of those Chinese all in ones so that will get rid of the problem anyway....Might then have enough room to mount the suspension pump high in that rear wing and keep it out of any more trouble... Pete

Post #273332 28th Jul 2014 10:12pm
kingpleb

The pump would be fine fully submerged if the seal is still place correctly, you just need to raise the intake for it Smile leave as is as keeps the balance at the rear better Smile

Amp removal and so on will help get rear weight down as well but put a few concrete slabs in there if your doing anything deeper than past the plastic door trim as the rear end will float easily enough as it is.
I avoided it by have 3 full jerrys in the boot, some waffle boards, the spare wheel and another spare, and other bits of kit Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #273333 28th Jul 2014 10:24pm
Haylands

Hi,

Pump on mine has the intake on the pump itself, maybe the later one is different...

I've got a heavy LPG tank in the boot to weigh it down, and when laning it's full of equipment that weighs a ton.... Pete

Post #273510 29th Jul 2014 9:21pm
TheAllSeeingPie

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged Supercharged Java Black

You two do know you're allowed to drive around water right? Rolling with laughter 
07 Supercharged - Still breaking her in!

Boot soundproofing part 1 - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15612.html
Custom exhaust - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15296.html
18" wheels for Brembo equipped cars - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15052.html

Post #273539 29th Jul 2014 11:20pm
kingpleb

BORING^^^^

Wink FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #273546 30th Jul 2014 12:30am
Haylands

TheAllSeeingPie wrote:
You two do know you're allowed to drive around water right? Rolling with laughter

That would be just boring..... water is for splashing in..... Very Happy Very Happy Pete

Post #273547 30th Jul 2014 12:32am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

You are like my girls, they think water is for splashing in as well. Needless to say we did a lot of driving around the very deep puddles today when it was hosing down here Smile Not that papa likes any of that NOOOOOOOO Whistle Whistle Whistle MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #273568 30th Jul 2014 9:37am
john24

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver
fitted a snorkel

looking to do the same do you have the molded for it how did take to fiit once the mould was done what size of pipe did you use, only in ossett m1,j40 not to far email 24paper24@gmail.com yours john holland

Post #689224 28th Mar 2024 1:52pm
Haylands

That was 10 years ago!!!!! I don't have the ability to make another elbow you would have to do it yourself...

All the info you need is in the original post, the pipe was a flexible 4" pipe that won't collapse under vacuum.

It is not an easy DIY job, you need some experience of fabrication otherwise you will suck in water and hydro lock the engine...

Also I don't know if the TD6 has the same intake as the 4.4 petrol, the later 3.6 and 4.2 S/C are different.. Pete

Post #689256 28th Mar 2024 6:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12