Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 3.6 TDV8 EGR options?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Nope, egr cleaner is not going to fix knackered bearings...... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #275141 10th Aug 2014 10:10am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Re: 3.6 TDV8 EGR options?

Mikey wrote:
Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:

Nick, bite the bullet and get them done before you overspeed one of your Turbo's! This will usually result in the Turbo failing very soon after the EGR is replaced, often destroying your engine! This is fact sir!!! Thumbs Up

Would love to hear the theory behind this too...

Read the post below yours then sir... Whistle

Post #275142 10th Aug 2014 10:19am
Stephen.Gazard

2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Causeway Grey

I reiterate ... Unless you effectively want to sink the cost of a replacement engine plus labour ..... bite the bullet and get the EGRs done as soon as they start playing up ...... any bank balance can vouch for it ! Stephen Gazard

Range Rover L405 Vogue SE SDV8 - CamTech / Overfinch Bespoke
Maserati GT 2017
Mercedes SL55 AMG

Aston Martin DB9 07 - gone back to friend bought from, RR Classic 90 - gone, BMW 840ci - gone, RR TDV8 Overfinch 07 - gone, Porsche 911 (996 Carrera 2 98 - gone, BMW X5 3.0sd M Sport 08 - gone, RR Sport 4.2 Supercharged 05 - gone, BMW M3 Convertible 02 - gone, Range Rover 4.4 Autobiography 03 - stolen!, Range Rover 4.6 Vogue 01 - gone, Range Rover 4.6 Autobiography - gone

Post #275144 10th Aug 2014 10:28am
Mikey

Scotland 

The EGR is there to lower combustion temps (due to less oxygen to burn, effectively strangling the engine)

So why would an EGR that is stuck open raise combustion temps?

And on top of that, the turbo speed is limited by how much air goes through it. The max amount of air is going to be at max load, high revs + full throttle. Why would a sticky EGR make the turbo spin faster than normal?

Post #275192 10th Aug 2014 4:04pm
milesg

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

guys, as someone who experienced catastrophic engine failure in another marque due to a £5 crankshaft bearing deciding to let go after just 60k miles I am all for preventative modifications, how much does mapping it out cost and who does it, preferably in the SW / Midlands?!

Post #275208 10th Aug 2014 5:39pm
TheAllSeeingPie

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged Supercharged Java Black

An EGR stuck open while on boost means the extra gases being forced into the exhaust system get forced into the engine, which increases pressure which subsequently over speeds the turbo. The faster turbo then creates more boost which means higher combustion temps due to more oxygen. Sometimes the turbos wastegate can prevent this, but the wastegates on a diesel aren't huge so can't relieve all the pressure.

If the turbo doesn't die the other outcome can be a thrown piston, fortunately the turbos usually melt stopping this. Also if you don't manage to overspeed the turbo and don't blow the engine you can sometimes damage the vanes rendering the turbo a lot less efficient than normal. 
07 Supercharged - Still breaking her in!

Boot soundproofing part 1 - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15612.html
Custom exhaust - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15296.html
18" wheels for Brembo equipped cars - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15052.html

Post #275247 10th Aug 2014 9:55pm
TheAllSeeingPie

As for mapping try Viezu v-box as that means you won't have to travel. Alternatively I think Alive tuning are down that way? Any mapper who can write the tunes should be able to do it, avoid anyone who just seems to load on stock maps. 

18" wheels for Brembo equipped cars - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15052.html

Post #275250 10th Aug 2014 9:57pm
Mikey

Scotland 

TheAllSeeingPie wrote:
An EGR stuck open while on boost means the extra gases being forced into the exhaust system get forced into the engine, which increases pressure which subsequently over speeds the turbo. The faster turbo then creates more boost which means higher combustion temps due to more oxygen. Sometimes the turbos wastegate can prevent this, but the wastegates on a diesel aren't huge so can't relieve all the pressure.

If the turbo doesn't die the other outcome can be a thrown piston, fortunately the turbos usually melt stopping this. Also if you don't manage to overspeed the turbo and don't blow the engine you can sometimes damage the vanes rendering the turbo a lot less efficient than normal.

If this were the case, then there would be a whole lot more TDV6 D3/RRS with blown engines...

The turbo is a VNT unit on the TDV8 (and the TDV6), which is an electronically operated unit. As soon as the PCM sees too much boost, it backs the turbo off to lower the boost pressure. If it can't lower the boost pressure via the turbo, it cuts the fuelling, to lower the boost.

In either of those cases, an Engine System Fault warning would be displayed

In the case of an EGR stuck open, the turbo lag is increased hugely due to the engine not being able to burn cleanly, as it is not as efficient, due to the lack of oxygen inside the cylinder. Less oxygen = cooler burn, the whole point of the EGR system.

When the turbo pressure exceeds the pressure of the gas flowing through the valve, the EGR is then redundant, and the gas will not flow anywhere.

Post #275255 10th Aug 2014 10:11pm
TheAllSeeingPie

That's only if the turbo isn't coked up from a failing EGR. If the EGR is allowing soot build up in the engine then you'll get VNT issues as described here http://www.turbotechnics.com/www/?page_id=430. The blown turbo / happens if the turbo over speeds, the alternative is compete loss of power, however in our cars I was assuming people would jam the turbo open as we need more revs to get moving. 

Post #275275 11th Aug 2014 6:02am
Mikey

Scotland 

But you can't jam the turbo open on a TDV8. It is all electronically controlled, to protect itself. Not to mention a fairly major operation in itself to access the turbos!

For the reasons is my previous post, and they way the VNT works, the turbo would not overspeed

Post #275276 11th Aug 2014 6:45am
Cam-Tech-Craig

Speaking to Midland Turbo's part of the issue is the electronic unit... JLR bought a perfectly good proven unit from Garett then threw away the perfectly good proven mechanical actuator unit and had their own electronic units made! This is now far more unreliable then the original units (sticking shafts etc which incidentally leaves the unit sticky in one position)

That then combined with a progressing EGR issue allows the Turbo to "overspeed" and the damage is done!

So, my advice for what its worth (backed up by 6+ cases) is to keep engine oil clean (i.e. changed regularly) and of the finest quality you can afford! And the first signs of an EGR issue, bite the bullet and have them BOTH changed...

Post #275286 11th Aug 2014 8:51am
Mikey

Scotland 

I will agree with your first statement Thumbs Up

However, the turbo will not overspeed due to a faulty EGR.

The turbo speed is "controlled" by the amount of air going into the engine, and the size of bang made inside the cylinder.
With the EGR stuck open, there is less oxygen inside the cylinder to burn, so the bang will always be smaller than normal.

When the turbo comes in, the turbo pressure will overcome the pressure of the exhaust gas coming through the EGR valve. When this happens, only clean air will be going into the cylinder, which will also not cause an overspeed of the turbo.

Thumbs Up

I will also agree with using the best oil you can. FWIW, I will only use Castrol Magnatec in my customers cars

Post #275418 12th Aug 2014 7:32am
Mossy1985

2006 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Alveston Red

Interesting read guys, it is my first post but relevant as my dads tdv8 has got egr issues. I'm intend to blank them off and have the vehicle mapped as a mate of mine has a business who does this. The reason I joined the forum was to see if anybody knew of a company/person who made blanking plates for the egr valves? I don't see why anyone would be stupid enough to have there egr valve open constantly? Ie mapped to have it that way. You just blank the feed from exhaust side and blank the port where it re-enters the inlet, job done. I did this on my bmw 330 d m sport and when I removed the inlet omg the crud inside was terrible. I removed the full inlet manifold filled with drain cleaner mixed with gunk and left for 24 hours then swilled out. Egr is awful design unless it runs through a cooler first but a lot of engines are hot egr

Dave

Post #294298 20th Nov 2014 9:33am
Cam-Tech-Craig

Dave, firstly welcome sir Thumbs Up

Secondly, i do NOT know of anyone that has managed to blank TDV8 EGR's yet sir. They are electronic so cause all manner of faults just blanking them... They need mapping out too...

So, unless your Dad has a strange obsession with watching his money go up in almost the same amount of smoke that will come from the LH exhaust... My advice is to resolve the issue immediately sir...

Thumbs Up

Post #294302 20th Nov 2014 9:44am
Mossy1985

2006 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Alveston Red

Thank you for the welcome and your thoughts. The mapping out isn't an issue my mapper tells me? I find it strange that no one has blanked it off before as that's all people do on all other makes and models that I'm aware of? And like I said earlier its what's did on my bmw, however that was a vacuum operated system but the vacuum was still operated by the ecu via a control valve so I would think it is the same principle? The reason this has come up is that the eml is on due to one of the egr valves. He planned on getting it mapped when he first bought the car so his thinking is if he is getting it mapped regardless and one valve is faulty then just blank the pair and map them out.

Dave

Post #294351 20th Nov 2014 12:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>