Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > 2002-2006 Replacement head unit running Android
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 36 <123 456 ... 343536>
Print this entire topic · 
hex

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Baltic Blue

The car recoder app that comes with it is ok but as Haylands points out its a PITA if you want to use it as a dash cam.

I use DailyRoads Voyager ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dailyroads.v) it wont install from the play store but if you go to here http://www.dailyroads.com/voyager/download you can download it and install it using the app pak installer on the head unit.

with DailyRoads Voyager you can set the loop time up to 5 mins and the number of files to keep, got mine set to 3, so it will over write the oldest. you can also select where the files are stored and where they are uploaded to ( if you have this set.

Post #285284 9th Oct 2014 3:43pm
Dave1946

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Epsom Green

Thanks for the replies chaps.
I certainly like the look of DailyRoads Voyager. I've just had a quick troll through their web site info and it seems to be just what's needed, although it appears to be primarily designed with mobile phones in mind.
Thanks for that advice Hex; if you are successfully using it on a ES9753EU head unit it's good enough for me, and clinched the resolve to take out my old stuff and fit a new head unit.
I would like to retain the power amp though, but I believe the plug that would have gone into the tuner simply plugs into the new extension lead. I guess that all the other connecting plugs, once fitted to the redundant and removed devices (sat nav DVD player, radio tuner, CD player & old head unit) now just get tidied away and do nothing.
So I'll clear out some of the junk from my workshop, get the car in, and away we go!

Post #285317 9th Oct 2014 7:01pm
hex

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Baltic Blue

Dave

Make sure you get the 6m cable and get a couple of 6m phono cable and run them in at the same time, and the aerial ( see below )
Get a external mic for the hands free as the built in one is not that good
other thing I used was sticky foam tape (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-Black-Single-Sided-Foam-Tape-Closed-Cell-20mm-Wide-x-3mm-Thick-/270731069597?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item3f08d4489d) for stopping rattles and filling a few spaces

an extension cable for the TV aerial for the DTV box (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170842521728?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)

Female FAKRA to Female DIN (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321489857919?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) to connect to the aerial amp in the boot and 6m of aerial wire and 2 male connectors from Maplin

I sold all the old bits apart from the TV tuner on e-bay and got £320 back so its a no brainer !!!

Post #285345 9th Oct 2014 8:13pm
wedgel322

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Thank you for the kind offer Haylands. I am hoping to do this over the winter months. Hopefully I can pop over and see your set up nearer the time.

Thanks again. Bow down Thumbs Up 2003 Range Rover HSE 3.0 TD6
Java Black, Cream Leather Heated seats all round, Sat Nav, Rear TV's.
2013 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8
Black, black and piano black. Rear entertainment system. 22 inch turbines

Post #285458 10th Oct 2014 11:05am
Dave1946

Hex,

Thanks again. Your links save a lot of searching.
It will be three or four weeks before I can do the job because of other work needing completion first. Get that sorted and then I can reclaim my workshop. But once I get started I will report back with results 👍

Dave

Post #285533 10th Oct 2014 6:57pm
Dave1946

I have another question for anyone who can help please.
Presently I have a Parrot hands free kit in the car and by simply touching the phone button and speaking a name the Parrot kit automatically rings that person.
I'm not sure if the Parrot kit does that, or if it uses the voice dialling feature in the hand set.
Does the new head unit support voice dialling, or is it only done by selecting a name from the screen?
Dave

Post #286788 16th Oct 2014 10:14am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Pretty sure it doesn't, I haven't got enough mates to have to worry about it though!!! Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #286910 16th Oct 2014 7:57pm
Dave1946

Ha! I'm sure that's not true Pete Smile
Which ever way it is I'm sure I will get used to it.
I'm ordering what I need this evening now; I've got a couple of days clear next week so hopefully everything will be up and running in a few days time.
Can't wait!

Dave

Post #286923 16th Oct 2014 8:31pm
Haylands

I'm sure you'll like it, it really is a good bit of kit, just sold my CD changer today so that's the head unit, sat nav unit and CD changer sold on eBay for £35 more than I paid for the new unit......

Are you leaving the amp in or taking the lot out, I'm going to post up the exact wiring needed if you are removing the lot as it has been an issue....

If you're leaving the amp in then it's plug and play apart from a light trigger for the backlight... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #286935 16th Oct 2014 9:05pm
Haylands

Had a few people asking me about how to wire this in without the amp... you can then get rid of all the boxes in the rear side panel... this head unit replaces the radio unit, the amp, TV and Sat Nav DVD. this is how it's directly wired... had fun with the speakers as they are not wired as Rave says all of the different coloured wires are there it's just they don't go to the speakers stated....

It has a four way output at 4ohms so will run two of the speakers in the FF from each feed as they are all 8ohm speakers... My front door mids were both faulty and not working so I wired the fronts into the low range and tweeters in the doors The rears into the low range and high range in the doors. The front center speaker I have wired into my CB and I didn't bother with the sub as I'm pretty attached to my fillings and want to keep them, the unit has got a sub output so I'm sure you could work something out....

Speaker wiring....

Front right, grey, grey/blk from unit to blue/blk + blue/brn and blue/red + blue/brn both sets from small plug in Amp

Front left, white, white/blk from unit to yellow/brn + yellow/red and blue/wht + blue/br both sets from small plug in Amp

Rear right, purple, purple/blk from unit to brown + blue (from large plug in Amp) and white/brn + white/blk from small plug in Amp

Rear left, green, green/blk from unit to brown + yellow (from large plug in Amp) and yellow/brn + yellow/blk from small plug in Amp

The large wires from the large plug to the rear speakers are not twisted together and you will have to test which brown belongs to which speaker, use a 9volt battery and connect it to the wires and you should hear some crackling from the speaker....

Rest of the wires....

Red from unit goes to the purple/wht wire in the radio plug, ignition switched 12v

Yellow from unit goes to the thick red/grn wire from the large Amp plug, permanent 12v

Black from the unit goes to the thick black wire from the large Amp plug, Earth

Green from the unit goes to white/slate/yellow wire from the radio plug, Canbus

Blue from the unit goes to white in the radio plug, aerial amplifier

Orange from the canbus box goes to the slate/purple wire from the rear light loom, this comes out of the trim directly behind the rear light into the rear left compartment.

The unit comes with a 5mtr extension lead, the plug on the end of it is the female version of the radio plug in the boot so it is easy to see which is the radio plug... The Amp is the big black box at the rear of the boot compartment and has one large and two small plugs.

That lot might sound a bit complicated but once you have it all in front of you in the boot it makes sense.... when cutting the wires from the plugs, leave a bit of wire coming out from the plug in case anyone ever wants to revert to original, they then have enough wire to reconnect the plugs... Don't cut all the wires at once, just cut them one at a time as you need them. I used spade connectors for all mine to start with and once I had sorted it I soldered all the wires and used heatshrink.

I popped to see a mate of mine who is well into music the other day and he recons it's a very good system and sounds nice, even with several speakers missing.... Pete

Post #288357 23rd Oct 2014 5:33pm
Dave1946

Sit-rep.
Well I've fitted everything in. Rear view cameras ( two on the car; a bumper one for hitching trailers, and a high level one for monitoring trailer load, and a third on my caravan) all controlled by electronic intelligent switchers. - the pink wire goes to a dash switch so that they can be used while driving. But that was all in before the head change; just needed re-organising. Also two USB leads ( one terminating in a female USB behind the n/s dash side trim plate ready for a forward facing camera, and another to a Dash mounted USB socket.
All working good except for one thing ..... No sound! Not a sausage.
The head unit does all that it's supposed to do, but very quietly.
I have left the big amp in place in the back and simply plugged into the male plug that originally went into the radio tuner.
I don't know if any one else has done the conversion successfully, leaving the DSP in place? If so I'd be happy to hear what I've got wrong, but I'm wondering if maybe the tuner ect used a bus system to get sound info to the amp. Or am I talking Norfolk nonsense again. ( I'm prone to doing that!)
Dave

Post #288677 24th Oct 2014 5:56pm
Haylands

Looking at the wiring, there doesn't seem to be an ignition switched live to the Amp so maybe it is controlled by the old head unit, try plugging the old head unit in, the canbus is split between the amp and the radio so even with the radio unplugged it may still work... I presumed they had put a canbus switch in to trigger the amp, but maybe not....

Also does your long lead have a green wire at the radio plug end as someone got one without it!!! If it doesn't then that's the problem....

Send Erisin an email, they were pretty good with the few questions I had.... Pete

Post #288686 24th Oct 2014 6:33pm
Dave1946

I've got exactly the same wires at each end of the loom so that's not the problem. I guess it's got to be one of two things, either the amp isn't powered on, or the audio signal isn't 'making the journey'. I did wonder if the amp isn't getting a 12volt supply, but then reasoned that it must have because the new head unit is being powered from it, both switched and constant.
That's why I wondered about just how the audio is transmitted to the amp in the original set up.
I feel that it would be a shame not to make use of the amp and the full range of speakers fitted, as it's all there, but if push comes to shove I'll do as you did Pete.

Post #288709 24th Oct 2014 8:06pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

The amp will need a power on signal, it won't work by just connecting to it.

Not sure if it is done on the ibus...... Will need to investigate more.

It is a shame if you can't work out how to fool it to power on as its a good sound, especially when upgraded.

Perhaps a search on the bmw forums may help ?

Also not sure if it is expecting line level in or speaker level........

I'll have a look about......

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #288732 24th Oct 2014 10:07pm
Dave1946

That's a positive input mjdronfield, and I'd be grateful if you could work it out more because can bus is beyond me I'm afraid.
Dave

Post #288734 24th Oct 2014 10:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 36 <123 456 ... 343536>