Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Ultimate infotainment upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
BBS SPY

Cyprus 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Hiya Paul
Thanks for expressing your interest in my project.
Figuring everything out is quite a mamouth task and knowing it is of such interest and help to others and inspires them is really quite supportive and motivating Thumbs Up

The screen unit has 3 colour coded Composite video input connectors on it's rear.
These are for TV / RSE, Reverse camera and Venture Camera.
If you connect a composite video source such as that from a CMOS camera to one of them, then select the screens built in diagnostic 753 menu you can see the input. So the input is not special in any way.

The origional connectors are actually FAKRA connectors that are not only colour coded but are keyed, however this is pretty much just an outer shroud over an industry standard SMB miniature Coax connector.

You can find suppliers of the origional FAKRA connectors, but frankly rather than mess about with that, i employ a standard SMB crimp connector made by multicomp. I list the Part number in this projects sundry parts list.
The connector is just small enough to force inside the platic FAKRA shroud, but if you fit the body of it in a drill and file a little off its outer while spinning it, this makes it a nice fit. Be warned though it is quite fiddly to fit to the end of a suitible coax cable.

I dunno what you have the camera end, but it is likely to be SMB too, so the same connector will work as well.
As the camera connection cable is not part of the infotainment loom, but part of the main one, and i will not be changing that, i am going to add the coax and power feeds into my new infotainment loom, but until i physically fit it in the vehicle itself can only guess the required cable lengths.

Regards editing the CCF. i note you mention the Gateway, so i guess you must have an 05MY L322.
Our released MSV-2 software currently does not support editing of a Gateway based CCF, only the usual Instrument pack based one, however i hope you will note that one of the many alteriour reasons i am doing this and have started off with it on the bench, was to provide us with what we have needed to develop and introduce this.

It is obviously therefore now already all sorted and developed and will be included with the next free software update we release Thumbs Up

So you sure have every right to abe a Happy MSV-2 user Wink

Once provided, then it is a simple matter of enabling it in the CCF and the screen will switch to the respective composite input automatically whenever reverse gear is selected. I forget which is which exactly just now but am pretty sure it is the Brown one.

I have noted however that some TV on move retro fit units mess with the CAN BUS data to the screen to fool the screen into thinking they are always in Park, even if in Drive or Reverse. This is to bypass the fact that the screen switches off the TV input whenever another gear is selected.
This can be seen and noted using the 4X4 info display.

I hope this helps and provides the good news you were hoping for Paul 2003 4.4 HSE

Post #28103 15th Sep 2010 6:09pm
Paul Grainger

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Hi Colin

Thanks for replying. I guess that most users of this forum will share my interest in this thread, I have a particular interest as my car is a 2005 with MOST and the seperate gateway module, just like you are working on. My profession is engineering, I suppose that its inevitable that my interest in this subject would extend to my car.

I fitted a Nav-TV AV input module which came complete with a video-in-motion module with it, these are both fitted at the rear of the touch screen head unit. The video in motion works fine, I get perfect DVD playback on the screen from a multichanger that I installed in the usual place in the rear side compartment. My original plan was to fit a changeover relay module into the video line between the DVD player and the head unit, using power from the reversing lights to switch the relay and divert the video input to the reversing camera. This would have been a really simple installation with very little dismatling of the car interior. I made up all the kit and installed it, but forgot one key thing - even though my video in motion works perfectly when driving forwards, the display is killed the instant that I put the car in reverse. Needless to say, it was time to think again!

Using the 'proper' reversing camera input into the head unit is a better solution anyway, even if it does mean a fairly major strip down of the dash trim. There's plenty of length on the coax from the camera, I'll route this to the head unit and fit an SMB connector as per your recommendation. My car already has venture cam and TV so I guess that the correct input - hopefully brown - will be obvious!

I remain slightly confused about changes to the gateway CCF file. There are a number of things that I dont quite understand here. I know that some of the CCF settings also appear for instance in the LCM and IPAC modules, and therefore that it would be possible to get a 'clash' of settings if these were entered differently in the two modules. What happens in these circumstances?

I have been conversing with Gabi (she's been very helpful, as has Ronnie) on your forum in the last two weeks with regard to reading, editing and writing changes to the gateway CCF. I presumed that these changes were being written to the gateway module itself? Am I wrong in thinking this? I know from discussions with Gabi that being able to edit this CCF was pretty new, it took her several attempts to get it to work properly.

When I have made changes to the gateway CCF, these don't always seem to work. Enabling the reversing camera didnt work, enabling 'nav on the move' didnt work, but when I accidently changed the audio amplifier type then that changed worked straight away!

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post, hopefully you'll be able to better explain the CCF file to me!

Paul G

Post #28108 15th Sep 2010 7:10pm
BBS SPY

Hiya Paul

Sadly i simply cannot provide definative answers to most of what you ask or expect.

We here at BBS are simply the providers of the only tools there are that allow access and changing of data held by various vehicle systems.

Most recently, as a direct result of this project, we have freely added the capability to edit and change the CCF data held in the 2005MY Gateway ECU.

We have no experience or knowledge of how that may or may not affect the vehicles operation and so can really make no promises.

Indeed, this entire projects aim is to help give me a more hands on experience of what is required.

For those following this thread more generally. I can but apologise for the lack of continuation.

Sadly i have been a little detracted from this project by other things, and even more sadly, my L322 has sported a few more "keep it running" problems, such as a rear window fail problem and front NS EAS airbag fail problem.

It's really hard to even think about an upgrade project, when you have to struggle just to keep its donar road worthy Rolling with laughter 2003 4.4 HSE

Post #30467 3rd Oct 2010 7:52pm
BBS SPY

I really cannot believe that almost an entire year has passed by since i was forced to back burner this ultimate infotainment upgrade project, due to other unspecified commitments that i could not then explain or name.

However most know that those other commitments were actually the taking over over of another competative company and reworking of its products and more importantly the sorting out of alternate premises for BBS which required extensive renovation and extensive re working to our exact and specific needs. Both of course much more important than my up speccing my own L322's infotainment system.

Compared to these, our governments bungling, leading to the destruction of of our countries main Electricity station and the resultant loss of over 50% of working hours due to power outages was but a hinderence. But one that of course also caused extensive delays.

But finally, after many troubles and delays i am now just about to ressurect this project as has been my deep desire for way too long. 2003 4.4 HSE

Last edited by BBS SPY on 10th Oct 2011 4:26pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #86252 9th Oct 2011 6:43pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Are you Johnny English perchance? Whistle

Just finished your movie commitments, so you can concentrated on the RR upgrade? Thumbs Up Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #86254 9th Oct 2011 6:47pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Glad to see this is back on course Colin. Reminds me, must license a certain purchase which is almost the same age. Whistle

As always, shout up if you need owt posting/sending/testing etc.

Best

Dom.

Post #86260 9th Oct 2011 7:10pm
BBS SPY

A bit more like "Q" perhaps alanm_3 Wink

Thanks Dom, Thumbs Up

It was really hard packing all the stuff for this project away for our move to the new premises but even harder finding all the bits in the new place, but i think i have found most of them now.

I have to start thinking where i was at with this now and get back into the swing of things. Rolling Eyes
IIRC i got the whole 05 infotainment set all connected up together with its own loom and working on a bench off a power supply, using a standard relay in place of the infotainment one that will be in the rear fuse box i will also have to replace.
Still got all that, so it should be a formality to plug it all up and get back to the same stage.

The next thing i needed / wanted to do was tap into my Vehicles existing CAN BUS, IBUS and ABS speed signal, and connect them to my infotainment set, to check that part out before finally committing to strip the vehicles interiour enough to substitute the ECU's, wiring and speakers etc. I should get all the wheel controls working and the 4x4 info display showing real vehicle data

My thoughts then were to move everything into the vehicles boot to do this, but then that is when the Bench with the stuff on was 7 floors up above where the vehicle was at.

But now the new place provides me the ability to get the vehicle right next to, or directly under any bench or desk i choose, so it should now be much easier to do this.

I can't wait to get hands on, but i still have a week or two of finishing stuff in the new place so i will have to be patient for just a little bit longer.

Thanks for the kind posting/sending/testing offer Dom, i may need to take you up on that someday Wink 2003 4.4 HSE

Post #86502 10th Oct 2011 5:29pm
BBS SPY

As all the planning and pre testing is long since done, having put it off long enough, and as BBS is closed for a week for Easter, i have now taken the opportunity to progress to the practicalities of this project in respect of actually getting my 2003 L322 in, stripping it's interior out and swapping the bits i need to.

In this first shot you can see that on the left i have already installed the complete Infotainment ECU pack as well as the later Sub Woofer with its own Amp.

At the top left, all coiled up is the wiring which will go to the overhead console and Fin Antennae and at the bottom left the small number of wires, some of which will go across the rear to the new fuse box on the RHS.

Click image to enlarge

In this second shot i have already stripped the old infotainment loom from the dash area and loomed in the rear part of the new replacement, the remainder of which is sitting in the passenger side foot well waiting to be threaded into the dash area

Click image to enlarge

The front carpet looks undisturbed at this stage, but i had already had both sides up in order to swap out the wiring to both front door connections. 2003 4.4 HSE

Post #118601 21st Apr 2012 5:27pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

To reassemble, reverse the procedure...

Shocked Shocked Shocked

You are a braver (and more talented) man than me.

Post #118618 21st Apr 2012 11:37pm
hemiuk

United Kingdom 

Bow down Wow my wife would have a hissy fit if I did something like that Thumbs Up Stand for something or fall for everything !

Post #118622 22nd Apr 2012 7:32am
33CHINACARS

Australia 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

HOLY ........ BBSMAN Thumbs Up

Post #118646 22nd Apr 2012 3:32pm
mattstevenson2005

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

good to see you back Colin!!

Post #118732 23rd Apr 2012 10:01am
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Nearly 2 years in and still no quitting! Colin, you and I have more than a bit in common.... Laughing

Good to see you back at it. 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #118742 23rd Apr 2012 11:39am
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

+1 Thumbs Up nice to see you here again. V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #118765 23rd Apr 2012 4:09pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Classic picture: (just stepping out to the garage dear to wire in my new Garmin......)

Click image to enlarge

Post #118772 23rd Apr 2012 4:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>