Print this entire topic · 
Reformed

England 

Brave Man! Thumbs Up Reformed

Post #118809 23rd Apr 2012 9:23pm
BBS SPY

Cyprus 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Cheers Guys
I certainly ain't no quitter, and only the fact that i had to rebuild a new premesis
for my business, almost from the ground up, meant i had to put this particular upgrade
project for my L322 on temporary hold.

As i have been driving the Rangie with the MID screen hanging out the dash and displaying next to nothing and thus having no sound system at all for the past 18 months now, nothing pleases me more than to now be able to spend some time actually getting on with finishing this upgrade project.

Sadly stripping it and swapping the loom out took much more time than expected, and now the Easter break is over and i am back at work, and we have some catching up to do work wise, i have only been able to spend about 10 hours on it this week.

However that was enough to make all the connections between the new Infotainment loom and the vehicle and fit the new rear fuse box with the infotainment relay in it.

I went in extra early this morning at 6:30 to complete the last couple of connections and as such today i was able to power it all up for initial testing.

It did all fire up OK, but the Sub Woofer was not working and the TV, DVD and RSE was not present on the Touch screen.

Time to bring in the Faultmate MSV-2 Cool
At present i have not managed to source a couple of Pins (New or used) for the Origional BMW OBD connector, and if anyone can help me with this, it would be much appreciated, so i have 2 OBDII sockets.

I read the CCF from the gateway ECU, thats the white bit just to the right of the Touch screen, currently sticking up and almost touching the windscreen and selected the Infotainment section.

Scrolling down i found all the relevant settings and set them all accordingly.

After which all the missing systems duly appeared on the touch screen.

On this last picture you can more clearly see the white Gateway ECU and you can also see a small loop of wires hanging from the Glove box area. These are for the Venture / Companion Cam Dock unit.

I also re flashed almost all of the ECU's including the Logic 7 Amp, but sadly the Sub Woofer was still not working.
Reading faults from the Amp showed 4 speakers not being connected, which was correct but showed nothing about the Sub Woofer

A quick check revealed i had connected to the wrong pins on it for the signal input, which was a 10 minute fix.

I have lots more testing and fiddling to do to get every system working as it should be before i refit the interiour, most notably i have to fit the Rear Fin Antennea.
I have had a little peek at the area inside the roof to see if there is anything that should show me where to drill the holes but sadly i do not see anything to guide me. I have the plate that fits inside as a template for the holes themselves but if anyone with an L322 that has a Fin antennea could give me the distance measurement between the back of the fin and the rear edge of the roof it would be most appreciated Thumbs Up

It might seem odd to some that i expect to find something to show me where to drill the holes for the FIN antennea on a vehicle that was designed 3 years before the FIN was first fitted. However, very interestingly i have encountered several cases that indicate that the vehicle has actually already been designed for this later equipment.

By example, the area that rear view camera mounts under the upper tailgate Fin moulding has a change in angle just right of the Wiper Blade mounting and even a dimple where the single mounting screw hole will go. 2003 4.4 HSE

Post #119362 27th Apr 2012 5:13pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Cool indeed.

So that'd be 141mm then Colin. Thumbs Up

Dom

Click image to enlarge

Post #119380 27th Apr 2012 7:42pm
BBS SPY

Cheers Dom, that is just fantastic, and a picture too Bow down Bow down Bow down

That means i can really get it spot on, as the rear edge is a bit curved and otherwise open to a bit of interpretation 2003 4.4 HSE

Post #119471 28th Apr 2012 4:14pm
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

hi Colin,nice to see you back on the project... what do you know about the venture cam, does the camera communicate with the cradle or is there an other module involved as i cant see one in the wiring diagram,i know it uses Bluetooth control the camera and i think GHz to relay the video signal, unless that's Bluetooth as well i am still after a gate way module they are indeed very rare, i would buy one new if i new it would work for me. i still want to get my venture cam to work on a pre touch screen RR.
thanks Dave V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #119481 28th Apr 2012 5:29pm
BBS SPY

Hiya daveo
You will note this comment made re the Venture Cam part of my project

Quote:
In this last picture you can more clearly see the white Gateway ECU and you can also see a small loop of wires hanging from the Glove box area. These are for the Venture / Companion Cam Dock unit.

As the wiring for the venture cam is but an appendix to the 2005 wiring diagram i take it that it was a last minute add on.

The Dock unit itself is pretty self contained and has but a Main Power feed, a Ground, a Can Pair and a coaxial Video output that has to be connected to the screen.

On my bench tests i have been able to communicate with the Dock module and read fault codes, but i am guessing it will not fully come to life and start charging Cams until it gets can bus messages telling it that the ign is on and the engine is running etc

I will know much more in a few days Thumbs Up 2003 4.4 HSE

Post #119503 28th Apr 2012 7:16pm
BBS SPY

Well although it is a Sunday, i went in today to sort a few more bits out.

First off i tested the Ibus connection, by refitting the clock and changing the time on the Touch screen Display.
The clock did not budge Evil or Very Mad
However i noticed that the time was changing on the Ipack in line with changes i was making on the TSD and so i temporarily connected the steering wheel controls via a clock spring and confirmed these do control the volume etc.

The clock may have a problem as it has been resetting to 12:00 for some time anyway, however i noted that the ign is always on even if you take the key out and i quickly found this was down to a relay in the rear fuse box that was fitted but was not required.

Next i re fitted the Gear shift so i could check the Private CAN bus connections, This gave me the correct gears showing on the 4x4 info and now having Park seen by the infotainment system i could get the DVD and TV images up on the TSD, This impressed the missus no end who had turned up to make me a well earned coffee.

I then turned my attention to test fitting my Venture Cam Dock module.

I lashed the 4 connections up to it but when i went to plug the Coaxial plug into the TSD there was a spark and sure enough i could not access the Dock module and read its faults etc. A check of the power connections showed no voltage and sure enough the power fuse was blown. I went through a few fuses before figuring i had my power and ground connections reversed.

These docks are tricky in that 2 wiring options are shown for them. some show pins 123 and 4 are used but others show
1 = a battery fed power supply, 4 earth and 3 and 7 are the can pair. Note this is not the Private CAN pair but the Diagnostic ones.

I had alreadly pulled this dock to bits to confirm it was the latter.

I feared i may have blown the unit but after fixing the reversed power, i was able to communicate with the Dock module Diagnostically and read the faults. This helped me correctly configure the CCF of the gateway and soon enough i had the required results.
Although during previous bench testing i had established diagnostic connectivity, i was never able to get the dock unit to start charging the Cameras and had always figured and hoped that this was due to there not being a true CAN bus connection that informed the unit that the Ignition was on.

However now the cameras were charging and could be learnt.

Here is a picture of the screen showing the feed from the Camera that is also in the picture

And here is a close up of the screen with a picture on it from the venture cam actually showing me taking the picture shown with my camera.

Click image to enlarge

Having go this sorted i then moved on to testing the microphone using the built in Microphone test on the Nav diagnostic screen. Although i do have the later type Microphone, I have left the origional BMW Microphone in, hoping this would do the job. After near 2 hours of fiddling around with connections and testing i did indeed manage to get this working.

Next on the list of things to sort was the reversing Camera

After figuring out where it needed to go, I pulled the rear fin off, got it on the bench and drilled the required holes.

Click image to enlarge

I wish i could say that this was easy, but nothing has proved that easy with this project and this was no exception.
You may note the Red bit in this picture. It seems LR have fitted a fin that was at one time pained Red Rolling Eyes
After a lot of fiddling and fettling i did manage to fit the fit the Camera and it's mount. Re fitting the Fin was a doddle and the holes for the additional wires were already provided.

I would add that the cost of these 2 items comes to near 500 GBP if you bought them from a dealer and so my 30 GBP Ebay buy was quite some bargain.

After spending almost another hour fiddling about getting the video feed and supply connections through the requisite Body to tailgate umbilical connection i was able to make the required connections.

Alas, upon selecting reverse , nothing happened on the TSD Evil or Very Mad

However another tweak of the relevant CCF settings soon rectified this Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Yet another tick was duly added to the list. 2003 4.4 HSE

Post #119585 29th Apr 2012 7:19pm
daveo

thats great news colin, now after you connected the 12+ and ground to the cradle did your camera start charging or did it need the can bus wires to tell it the ignition is on, V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.

Post #119587 29th Apr 2012 8:02pm
BBS SPY

As i said, they would not charge on the Bench but would in the vehicle so it looks like you do need the Can command there before the Dock / camera will start the charging

Quote:
Although during previous bench testing i had established diagnostic connectivity, i was never able to get the dock unit to start charging the Cameras and had always figured and hoped that this was due to there not being a true CAN bus connection that informed the unit that the Ignition was on.

However now the cameras were charging and could be learnt.

This is not the Private can that simply goes between a few ECU's this is the Low speed Can bus that goes betweekn the Diagnostic socketet, Gateway, intergrated head unit and the Venture Cam Dock.

BTW, there is also an infra red data link between the Camera and Dock. 2003 4.4 HSE

Post #119653 30th Apr 2012 12:24pm
daveo

so, will the gateway module give me the can feed i need...well i hope it will..will it. V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.

Post #119691 30th Apr 2012 5:13pm
BBS SPY

Well that is part of the Gateway ECU's purporse daveo, and of course what i am clearly using as the base of this entire project as i have previously stated Thumbs Up
Without LR producing it as a temporary solution in 2005 only, just so they could add their own infotainment stuff i would not be able to do this project at all.

The gateway effectively taps into the BMW private CAN bus to get all the info it needs for Ign state, current Gear, Road speed, EAS and steering angle. It also taps into the Ibus for the steering wheel controls, clock sync and other stuff.

Then on the output side it provides the Low or Medium speed CAN bus with all the info on it as well as a CCF that the various later systems require, including the Venture Dock. This CAN bus is also connected to the Diagnostic socket and it is over this that the Gateway CCF is configured and access to the IHU and thus the MOST bus systems plugged into it is made.

I am not sure you could run the Gateway ECU without the Head unit, but then there would not be much point to that as you need the Head unit to provide the MOST bus and the screen to see the output of the Venture cams anyway.

Today i drilled the holes in my roof to fit the Fin antennea. This obviously requires quite some nerve, as you absolutlely do not really want to drill a hole in the wrong place, just like i did Whistle

Fortunately it was not a total catastrophe, as setting the Fin just 5mm futher back that it should really be allowed it to cover the unrequired hole inside the Fins outer sealing gasket.

I then wired up the D pillar speakers as well as the coax connections to the Fin.
Again i got conflicting info regarding the polarity of the D pillar speakers but went for the earlier option but left it open to easy swapping if required.

Having completed all connections and testing as far as possible, i also started re assembling the vehicle, starting with all the rear boot trim first.

It all went really quickly and well, but then i discovered that pressing Play on the TSD for a DVD had no effect, which i decided to put off further investigation until tomorrow. 2003 4.4 HSE

Post #119704 30th Apr 2012 6:50pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

BBS SPY wrote:
Today i drilled the holes in my roof to fit the Fin antennea. This obviously requires quite some nerve, as you absolutlely do not really want to drill a hole in the wrong place, just like i did Whistle

Oh for the love of everything holy..........I gave you the measurements, and I dun did you a photo an' everyfink....... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #119723 30th Apr 2012 9:02pm
BBS SPY

When i noticed i had drilled the hole in the wrong place, you can imagine the wave of realisation that i felt engulf me.

It was not the hole that concerned me, that would be easy to plug, and i even had a little rubber grommet that would have been absolutely perfect for the job, but i knew no amount of physical fix would save me from the inevitable Jibe in the circumstances. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Heres how it happened.
I put the tape on, Used a ruler between the roof ribs to mark a centre line upon which i marked the 141mm from the rear with a small cross line. I then used a Right angle to position the fin where it should go standing on its 2 mounting bolts. I then marked the position of the rear bolt, removed the fin and then used the inner mounting plate as a template to draw the 3 holes with the big one in the middle. Unbeknown to me i had put the rear hole of the mounting plate not on the mark i had made for the fin hole but the initial rear of the fin mark.

As it was right on where the rear of the Fin would be, if i plugged the hole i would have to move the fin forward a little to clear the plug, which gave me the idea that i could move the fin back a little to cover it. Then noting the rubber gasket on the underside of the fin was so close to the rear edge, i realised this would not only cover the hole but it would also be sealed against water ingress.
The hole also happened to be just over an internal cross member, so this allowed me to also fill it with gob of mastic as an extra measure of precaution.

So in the end other than the fin being a few mm rearwords of the exact correct position you can't tell and it won't leak Whistle 2003 4.4 HSE

Post #119791 1st May 2012 3:13pm
BBS SPY

Well i have worked through all my little problems. I used an "as built" file from a fully loaded supercharged to get all the CCF configuration right. However althought the spec for this vehicle listed it as also being fitted with the reverse camera this was not working and so i had to seperately enable this .
I also had to pull the dash back to bits as the venture cam Video feed was not plugged in properly in the back of the screen.

I meticulously cleaned every item during the re assembly process. The seat runners are just total dirt magnets. I also replaced quite a few bits that had gone scruffy.

Click image to enlarge

I would have liked more time to properly sort out the leather and installing the head rests with the rear screens, but this project has been dragging on a while now and i need to get the vehicle back together and usable, and i can re visit the seats at my convenience later on.

Here is the re assembled dash.

Click image to enlarge

The new heated smooth leather steering with all new controls, new covers and gaitor really gives a new feel to the entire vehicle.

The top of the centre console will have to come apart at some time in the future to remove the old phone, when i will also replace the rear panel on which the origional foundry finish paint is just falling off.

Anyone else have this?

As well as upgrading the infotainment system, i have also taken the opportunity to upgrade a few other things that have been making the vehicle look a bit aged and tired.

I already had white side repeaters and due to damage on a rear light had sourced a set of Supercharged ones that had recently been fitted. So i also fitted supercharged side gills and covered the door handles, which origionally had gone very scruffy with the paint / laquer being all blistered and flakey.

I also attended to some other bits like the Tow Bar cover and electrics and the scuttle panel at the bottom of the windscreen.

Finally, having got it put back together and out of the building, i gave the vehicle a really good wash.

The changes are not major but somehow, it has also lifted the vehicle and made it look much better. Certainly well beyond it's real age
See what you think.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I also have to say that i was a bit concerned about the existing speakers of my origional fit DSP system coping with the 700 Watt capability of the new Logic 7 system. In testing this, although it was not bad, i was not really all that impressed with either the overall volume level or degree of bass provided. I figured this might possibly be down to my testing being without the engine running etc. I was dead right about my testing and dead wrong about my existing speakers ability to cope.

On the road, even 2 thirds of availiable volume is more than enough for most anyone, but even on full power with the Bass and Sub Woofer wound up fully, there is not the merest hint of distortion, just the deepest seat of your pants type Bass you could ever wish for. 2003 4.4 HSE

Post #121038 9th May 2012 6:33pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

I've come across the sound barrier before Daveo, I think its to help protect the battery more than anything as the Sub can draw a fair chunk of power! Mine seems almost disabled when the engine is off but fine when running.

And sometimes for a few minutes after starting i get a boost in volume as i think as the battery gets back to a certain level.

good work btw Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #121049 9th May 2012 7:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>