Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > went in for oil change, came back out with AIR SUSP INACTIVE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Ohwhatalad

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey
went in for oil change, came back out with AIR SUSP INACTIVE

So had the car oil serviced today, was fine when i picked it up and started it but on the way home the AIR SUSP in active message appeared.

they were shut by the time i got home so couldn't call.
it wasn't a main dealer, just a garage i use for services every now and again, usually no problems. £114 oil+filter btw if anyone is wondering.

I have tried the steering calibration but no luck, i have no lights on my air suspension control buttons and no traction control light on, just the message.
Is there anything else i can try or any ideas what could of caused this? I havn't tried disconection of the battery as i didnt wanna mess around too much, hoping its just something that needs clearing but im guessing ill need to use a fault reader to find out, depending what they say when i call them. Its annoying as it means time out of work to take it back just to have a code cleared if thats what i turns out to be. Id rather order one and have it for future use! Does it have to be IID tool to clear this specific fault?

thanks in advance !

Post #373607 22nd Feb 2016 8:26pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Possible that it's a slightly flat battery if they've been in and out of it all day - that sometimes throws up random messages.

Post #373618 22nd Feb 2016 9:07pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

That message used to appear occasionally on my 2004 car. The suspension seemed to be working fine and the message generally didn't reappear when the ignition was switched off and then on again after an interval. Let's hope that is what you have and the message is away in the morning.

It can come on because the compressor that provides the air pressure overheats, one just has to let it cool down. I had what I think might have been that in Ireland once, extended driving on very poor road surfaces, like a ripple in the tarmac, message went away after switching off and leaving for a while and then back on. From your post I don't expect it was that.

Another experience from my 2004 car was that a suspension air bag once failed when it was up on the dealer ramp - apparently the wheels hang off supported by the air bags and sometimes the weight of the wheel is enough to tear the bag, maybe if it is getting a bit perished already.

I think it might also be possible to get that message if a sensor fails, diagnostic test would confirm. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #373620 22nd Feb 2016 9:09pm
Ohwhatalad

I do hope it goes by tomorrow!, will any OBD reader be able to clear the message or does it need to be an IID tool?

Post #373622 22nd Feb 2016 9:14pm
Alistair

I think that if the fault goes away, the message should clear.

IID will clear the fault from memory, but if the fault is still there, the message will just reappear.

Post #373623 22nd Feb 2016 9:15pm
Ohwhatalad

Thanks Alistar, just presuming there is no fault and either battery or something has knocked a message into the ECU to stop the air susp from working at all that all it will need is a fault clear. Heres to hoping.

Post #373625 22nd Feb 2016 9:19pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

When I got my 2002 I used to get the odd ASI bong, and sometimes it was after a long go at trying to pump up the reservoir. Like when it was on its belly...I can't remember how I fixed it, but the long term was, I changed the suspension pump myself, it's in the boot under the wheel well . It was about £330 and took about 1/2 hour. Quite easy. Just follow an online step by step, or look in the wiki. Never had pump issue since. I had also changed the battery. But that seems to be going bad again, but not throwing ASI though. I do now have a RSW alcomms fault reader.
It might be that your pump seal is tired. The way it works, is, when the system requires air, It calls the pump, and it pumps, but only for a set period. If it hasn't reached normal heights, it throws the towel in, bongs and says ASI
Maybe, in the morning, it will try again to reach height, and will acheive it and go off. (Orange light steady on height setting) and then you can reset it with steering full lock to lock, to lock.
If your pump tries to pump, maybe drop it to access height, and shut doors, this will give it a chance to pump up just to minimum height. After it there, leave a while, and then go up to normal height.

Post #373645 22nd Feb 2016 11:03pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Generic OBD readers will not clear EAS faults, they only work with emission faults...

If the inhibit light is on it's a hard fault and needs an IID or similar to clear, if you have no EAS lights then do a battery disconnect (you only need a 10mm spanner) and it should clear, as has been said I bet it's because the battery is a bit low.... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #373649 22nd Feb 2016 11:07pm
Meerbusch

United Kingdom 

EAS faults are best to clear (2002 to 2005, BMW-time) with INPA Ediabas Software from BMW, each BMW dealer can connect it on OBD and will help you for less than the official RR.... TDV8 4.4 from 2012, 278.000km like new + Lancia Flavia Coupe 1964 + RRS L494 3.0 SDV6 + C220CDI Convertible 2021

Post #373655 22nd Feb 2016 11:20pm
Ohwhatalad

well its still not working

Disconnected battery for 10 mins negative and plugged back in, the traction control light came on and inactive air susp

i done the steering wheel calibration the traction light went out but the error still displayed, and controls on dash dead for the suspension, no light at all.

So IID tool the way forward, will the HAWKeye for LR clear EAS faults or literally just the IID?

thanks

Post #373735 23rd Feb 2016 7:20pm
Alistair

Did you run the car - or charge the battery ?

Are you convinced there isn't an actual problem with the suspension system ? because an IID may clear the fault, but it will reappear again immediately if the fault is still there.....

Post #373749 23rd Feb 2016 7:47pm
Ohwhatalad

Car has been run around today a fair bit, so would of thought the battery would be OK now, i might give it a charge tomorrow though to be on the safe side before ordering anything.

Well the system was perfectly find before taking it into the service centre, and on the way back i got the light, so its either a massive coincidence (as it was only with them for a few hours) or its just a dodgy fault code/battery issue thats caused it to get stuck into dead mode!

Post #373752 23rd Feb 2016 8:01pm
Alistair

Might be worth clarifying with them exactly what they did with it.

The theory provided by CS seems feasible.....

Post #373754 23rd Feb 2016 8:05pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Pop back and get them to read the codes and try to reset it, they should have something that should do it..

When you have the codes come back here and ask... sometimes they are ambiguous or misleading...

Sorry don't know anything about the Hawkeye, I've got the IID... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #373756 23rd Feb 2016 8:06pm
gregdav

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Also have a look at the height sensors. Maybe one has broke or gone over if it's been on a lift.

Post #373763 23rd Feb 2016 8:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>