Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > CHECK COOLANT LEVEL - WARNING APPEARING EVERY OTHER DAY
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
6029 king Stephen

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Rimini Red
CHECK COOLANT LEVEL - WARNING APPEARING EVERY OTHER DAY

Hi,

I am getting the "check coolant level" warning message every other day and having to top it up. I have noticed that there is dripping at the front right hand side (looking from front of vehicle) and that the coolant bottle seems to have evidence of coolant down the sides but this is not wet and might just be previous overspill. I have looked under the bonnet with a torch and can see no wet areas around the bottle or on the pipes that emanate from the bottle.

I am hoping that I just need to replace the coolant bottle or the hoses running from the bottle as the water pump was replaced in June and this problem has only just started. After the guides on the timing belt shattered, I had to replace most of the front part of the engine including head gaskets, water pump and thermostat, timing guides and chain.

I have ordered a new coolant bottle but maybe I should add the hoses to that order.

My vehicle is an October 2003 4.4 V8 vogue, left hand drive.

Regards,

Steve

Post #411953 3rd Nov 2016 9:53am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Small leaks only leak when the engine is hot and then usually evaporate before you see any evidence, cleaning off the expansion bottle will tell you if that's the problem...

Best thing you can do to keep your engine in top condition once the leak is sorted, is the lower temp thermostat swap, lowers the temp and the pressure, much better for the engine that was never designed to run as hot as Range Rover made it....

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic39362.html Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #411959 3rd Nov 2016 11:01am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

My 2004 car had a radiator leak, bottom corner on driver side, it was replaced and no further problems. I was told that this was a common fault. One could see the problem area by unbolting the plastic tray under the front of the car and then sliding underneath with car on high suspension. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #411977 3rd Nov 2016 3:52pm
Clivefog

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

These dark evenings may help you if any of the above don't.
After dark with engine up to temp and running lift the bonnet, using a good torch look all around any small pin hole leak should show up.
Also check the heater circuit as that may leak into the cabin and again not be obvious.

Post #411991 3rd Nov 2016 6:01pm
6029 king Stephen

I have discovered the cause of the coolant leak. I looked under the bonnet yesterday when the car was running and noticed that there was a fine spray coming out of the side of the coolant bottle, despite being tiny it was running down just below the bottle. This morning, having filled it up last night, I lifted the bonnet whilst the engine was running and noticed that there is an even bigger leak on the underside of the coolant bottle. I have ordered a new bottle and hopefull this will be the end of the coolant leak.

The bonnet cable from the handle in the cabin has snapped again at the small cylindrical piece that joins onto the end of the cable. This is the second time that the cable has snapped since it was replaced in February. Unfortunately, I have to open the bonnet at least once a day as part of the vehicle security check at work and so it probably gets more use than normal. Even so, you would have thought they would have come up with a beefier solution....

Regards,

Steve

Post #412073 4th Nov 2016 12:34pm
Haylands

In that case I think I'd get a length of good quality strong Bowden cable and make it a one piece, then keep an eye on it for fraying... Thumbs Up

Result on the leak, about the cheapest bit... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #412094 4th Nov 2016 3:10pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Strangely enough, I'm getting this warning every so often. The anti freeze is spot on the top fill level. I've checked the connections on the sensor but it still pops up now and again.
Anybody got any other suggestions? Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #412142 4th Nov 2016 7:18pm
Stacker

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Adriatic Blue

Could it be a similar problem to the TD6, or was it sorted out on the later models? http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic20913.html

It might be worth checking via. a Diagnostic tool to see what the level read out is, if it's saying the level is wrong it might be worth changing the sensor?

Not really sure what else it could to be honest, unless there is something wrong with the wiring but they seem to be newer cars! 

Post #412148 4th Nov 2016 7:49pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

@alan

You probably already know this but the sensor pings if the mix is too weak.

Post #412160 4th Nov 2016 8:05pm
6029 king Stephen

Yesterday the coolant problem hit a new low when I arrived at work and after turning off, I could hear hissing and gurgling coming from under the bonnet. After lifting it, I discovered that water was shooting out of the side of the coolant bottle and there was a great deal of steam. Later that day, I refilled the system and began my drive home when after only 5-10 minutes the message appeared again. After arrival at home I had the same scenario as that morning. With a new bottle and the bonnet cables on order but not due to arrive until next week, something drastic needed to be done.

After waiting about three hours for the engine to cool, I identified where the coolant had been shooting out and saw what looked like a hairline crack down the edge of the coolant bottle. I got my large soldering iron and once up to temperature, I dabbed it along the hairline crack to melt the plastic a bit and then moved it from side to side in the hope of sealing that holes. Once satisfied, I refilled the system and started the engine. Soon after the message appeared again so I switched off and refilled the bottle but this time I noticed that it refilled without making bubbles and stayed full. I then restarted the car and left it to run for about 5 minutes. The error message did not reappear.

I had to go out last night for about three hours and the message did not appear when I was driving and after parking up for three hours and getting back in it, the message did not appear on the way home. This morning, I got in and started it and there was no low coolant message, nor was there on my way into work. After lifting the bonnet for the security check, I noticed that there was a very fine spray coming from the bottle where I had tried to repair it. It is a very fine mist and I will get the soldering iron out again when I get home and run it over the area where the tiny hole is to reseal it. I might also use a small square of some plasticard to form a kind of plaster over the repair. This should be sufficient until the new coolant bottle arrives next week.

Regards,

Steve

Post #412744 9th Nov 2016 10:26am
6029 king Stephen

Despite many attempts at repairing the tiny holes and crack with a soldering iron to melt the plastic, it worked initially but after a short run into work there would be fluid jetting out of the same place and lots of steam. Fortunately, the parts arrived last week and have been fitted. No problems with low coolant now and what's more, I don't need to use pliers to open the bonnet.

Next lot of consummables are a new battery to get rid of intermittent HDC inactive warning and a new compressor seal kit so that the car rises from normal height to off-road height. I'll get these in the new year.

Regards,

Steve

Post #414806 22nd Nov 2016 4:08pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Dolphinboy wrote:
@alan

You probably already know this but the sensor pings if the mix is too weak.

I didn't know that, so I'll make sure I add anti-freeze rather than water next time I fill it up! Censored Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #414856 22nd Nov 2016 10:40pm
lee37Vernon

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

I chased this ' fault' for ages, new rad, water pump, 88 degree thermostat mod, new bottle cap. Always lost coolant and was convinced I had a hole in tank as always had damp marks.

Eventually I caught the culprit in the act - Brit part ( Shi* part!) Pattern coolant cap.
Bought a Febi ( Bilstein) one and problem gone.

Can really recommend the 88 degree thermostat mod, just feels and even smells cooler everywhere under the bonnet. Shows around 91 degrees max on iid tool. 2003 4.4 Adriatic Blue FF

Post #415241 25th Nov 2016 12:16am
Haylands

Yep the lower temp makes a massive difference to everything...?? Pete

Post #415244 25th Nov 2016 12:49am
vitola231

Canada 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Santorini Black

I had same issue, bought new oem bottle and overheated once and saw spray come from tiny little hole also. Somewhere I read to fill 10mm over top fill line. After I did this 10or20mm I never had a problem again. I could make warning light come on by flooring it before, whenever I passed I got warning.

Post #415927 30th Nov 2016 2:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>