Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > No Sound - Newbie
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
pandar

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey
No Sound - Newbie

Hello Team

I've read all the posts that I can find about this problem but none seem to match my issue: Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I bought a FFRR Vogue TD6 04 in November. (My first and definitely not my last)It has no on board SAT NAV feature.
Initially everything was fine with my audio but on a couple of occassions I got the dreaded black screen. This went away for no obvious reason and both my radio and cd worked fine.

Recently I lost volume on both radio and cd although the screen works perfectly and I can hear the cd load and play. Water ingress seems the popular fault but when I look in my left rear quarter there's plenty of dust and no apparent water Very Happy

At start up, I've noticed that the DSP text on the display starts out white but after about a minute it turns black and won't operate. Even when the DSP appears operational there is no sound.
Since the problem started I've fitted a new Bosch battery, just in case
Please could you advise what process of elimination I should go through to try and solve this?

I'm competant at taking things apart.............it's just the re-assembly that gets me Laughing

Thanks in advance

Post #101203 11th Jan 2012 7:04pm
47p2

Scotland 

Have you checked for water ingress?

Post #101204 11th Jan 2012 7:14pm
pandar

Hello 47p2

Thanks for your response: Please see the third paragraph of my request

Everything seems dry

Post #101208 11th Jan 2012 7:40pm
Reformed

England 

Might be a loose plug. When I fitted in my freeview reciever, I had a few issues like no sound, blank screen etc. I went through the compartment and undid every plug and plugged them back in.

That worked for me an I have not had a problem since with that side of things.

Not saying it will/wont fix your problem but it costs nothing.

Also maybe try pulling the fuse for the stereo? Reformed

Post #101209 11th Jan 2012 7:48pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Just because it's dry at the moment doesn't mean it has been for the last 7 years. Smile
From you posted symptoms I would say you have suffered water damage at some stage.
The easiest way to check this is to un-plug every connector on the installed components and check the condition of the plugs and the socket pins.
If they are all as new, no water damage, if they show signs of green/ blue staining that is copper oxides which confirms water damage.
Also check that all the pins are still in the sockets and haven't corroded.
You say you have no sat nav, the car was built with it, is the unit still in place?
The DSP indication going off could be a bad connection on the DSP unit or the unit could be failing. It's also possible it is caused by a fault / bad connection on the radio tuner / amp. The sound going off could be a faulty DSP unit or more commonly faulty channel outputs in the radio tuner / amp. Very common problem, see BMW forums, can be repaired if no water damage in unit.
The black screen is probably down to a bad connection in one of the plug / sockets.
Does the orange light on the radio on/off button work correctly?
You can very often reset the DSP function by dis-connecting the -ve terminal of the battery and re-connecting after a couple of minutes.

Last edited by nicedayforit on 11th Jan 2012 10:19pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #101211 11th Jan 2012 7:51pm
pandar

Hello nicedayforit/Reformed

Thanks for your kind responses

I'll do exactly as you suggest and go through all the connections to check for corrosion.
I'm sure I've gt a electrical contact spray cleaner somewhere to hand

I'll also do the -ve battery pull/re-connect first

The orange light on the radio on/off does work

I'm a tadd confused about the nav. I'll check it out

Thanks again

Post #101242 11th Jan 2012 9:55pm
piecost76

United Kingdom 

I would recommend a special oxide remover such as Wurth Contact OL

http://www.wurth.co.uk/catalogue/pdfs/UK-CD_03_0445.pdf Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

15 MY 110 XS USW

54 FFRR Vogue TD6 Touchscreen - Gone!
56 FFRR TDV8 VSE - Gone!

Post #101290 12th Jan 2012 10:12am
pandar

Thank you for your tips gentlemen

I still have the same problem. I've shorted the disconnected battery terminals, taken all the plugs from the three boxes in my left rear compartment and cleaned them, then replaced them. There was a small amount of corrossion on the large dsp connector. All the pins look good.

The three boxes I have in my Vogue are SatNav CD MkIII(realised what it was Whistle ), dsp (the black box on the left/rear as you look in and a silver box on the right/front.

Can anyone tell please me the location of the radio/tuner amp so that I can try to clean it or have it repaired (sorry if this is a daft question)?

I've been in touch with Dolphinboy regarding his spare dsp, in case I need one, however his is an older "two connection" model for an HSE. There are several BMW Philips units available on ebay but I'm bothered that they may not be the correct ones. Is there a simple way to find out?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Post #102427 19th Jan 2012 4:10pm
nicedayforit

Should be 4 boxes in the rear compartment as below, you appear to have the tv tuner missing or the radio tuner missing. Lets know which.

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #102442 19th Jan 2012 5:06pm
pandar

Good grief, how embarassing. Embarassed

Yes I have all four boxes. The radio tuner is tucked away below floor level and I thought that the wiring from the other units was just routed along at floor level: Having moved the wires I can see the fourth box.

I'll take out the panel between thespare wheel and the left rear compartment to give better access.
Would I be wise to remove the whole assembly at this stage or would you clean the Radio Tuner connects before doing anything else?

Thanks

Andy

Post #102448 19th Jan 2012 5:26pm
nicedayforit

You really need to remove the black plastic panel below the carpeted floor panel.
One bolt on top of radio tuner and it just lifts out.
Interesting you have no sound to coincide with no DSP indication.
I also have that and can't find the reason for it. Most of the time the radio works but I have no sound from sat nav or telephone although both work.
Just thinking about it for a while before deciding if the dsp is faulty or the radio or both. Big Cry

Post #102449 19th Jan 2012 5:33pm
pandar

Right....................I accessed the radio tuner box and took it out. It appears dry and the connector had no sign of corrosion. I then shorted the two battery connectors together (again) just in case this brought the dsp back to life.

The problem still exists. When I start the car the dsp on the screen is lit: I can access the dsp menu and it appears to start to run the demos, however there is no sound. After 30 seconds or so, presumably after the "system" has run all its internal checks, the dsp is greyed out and remains so for the duration.

So, I guess it looks like the dsp is knackered.

I have the "3 connector" dsp. Is the Lear unit that some have fitted a better option than the Philips? Does anyone have any BMW or Lear/Philips part numbers........or a unit for sale?
At £515 + VAT from LR it'd probably be cheaper to hire Chris Evans to sit next me Laughing

Thanks in advance

Andy FFRR Vogue Td6 2005 pre-facelift

Post #103164 23rd Jan 2012 5:02pm
nicedayforit

Before you resort to buying an amp you may wish to consider this.
I had a situation where the sound output was coming and going depending on whether the DSP indication was on the screen.
I was also getting "noise" output on the speakers, not radio sound, indicating a possible bad connection.
All my problems were undoubtably water ingress related which I have now managed to cure.
The main leagage of water was drip onto the sat nav and drips directly onto the amp.
One amp socket pin was broken off which I have managed to bypass by connecting a wire directly into the amp.
Having removed all the units and carefully cleaned all the socket pins on each unit I got the sound back although it was not consistent, some days it worked, some days it didn't for apparently no reason.
The sound always disappeared in conjunction with the DSP indication disappearing from the screen.
Yesterday I decided to have a go at cleaning two small plugs that connect to the the amp.
The individual connections in the plugs had a certain amount of sulphate deposit due to water.
The plug connections I cleaned using a small needle with the end broken off. Using the needle as a scraper up and down each of the individual plug connections.
After the plug cleaning process I got DSP indication straight away and full sound immediately.
Whether this is luck I don't know but I now have DSP indication and full sound back each time I go to the car.
How long this will last I have no idea.
The fact that you have DSP indication coming and going could be down to an amp fault or a simple bad connection.
Given the cost of a replacement amp it may be worth trying the needle trick on the plug connections first and see what happens.

Post #103299 24th Jan 2012 2:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1