Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Treadplate and A post lower finisher removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Joe90

England 
Treadplate and A post lower finisher removal

Got to run some cabling from back to front believe the best route to be under the D post lower, under the rear retainer, B point lower, front retainer, A post lower, footwell closing panel to centre console.

See image

Don't have a trim removal tool, so what do I use? what type of clips are they.

For the A post lower finisher it says: "Check condition of finisher retaining clips in
body, replace if damaged"
which probably means they will break?

Anyone had experience of doing this? Or is there a better route? (headlining?)

Oh, note image from Rave showing manual seats? .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #103986 27th Jan 2012 7:31pm
comports

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Mariana Black

Not strictly correct so don;t tell anyone else on this forum but...

I used a nice big flat screw driver. Tuck it under the front edge carpet side and gently lever it upwards. the first clip should pop up and then work your way back. Takes seconds to do.. Ash
------------------------------------------------------
2016 SDV8 AB

Post #103991 27th Jan 2012 7:58pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

In the past I've used a common or garden knife from the cuttlery drawer!
I used one that was a bit thicker and sturdy than those you'd get in Ikea etc, and it did a great job and doesn't tend to leave any marks on the panel being removed.
That being said, I bought a set of panel removel tools from Machine Mart for about a fiver! Thumbs Up Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #103992 27th Jan 2012 8:05pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

I used a slim wooden salad fork handle, the type of rubbish you get for pennies from ikea, slim and doesnt damage trim - used it to fit power cable for a jammer (aka electric gate opener of course)

Post #104016 27th Jan 2012 10:55pm
Joe90

England 

Well I went at it today with a decorators palette knife, the type you would use to apply filler or scrape wallpaper off with. Worked a treat, and the tread plates pop off quite easily. The A post lower finisher more or less fell off after that, with one of the clips already broken.

As for my cable run, I had to remove the B post upper and lower covers and the finisher (the covers come off together, and you have to bend then outwards in the middle to split them apart and release the top fixings), the rear tread plate, the lower D post finisher, then ran the cable from the audio / tv gubbins corner, up over the wheel arch, down under the rear tread plate and tucked under the carpet, up past the B post but under the B post lower finisher, back under the carpet and the front tread plate, then into the cavity revealed by the A post lower finisher, dropped the footwell closer and ran the cable across the top of that.

My target is the coin tray in front of the gear lever, where I am fitting two push switches. This seems to be the only place where a) there is enough room below for the rear of the switches, b) a fairly straight forward cable run to it, c) accessible by both driver and passenger, d) least destructive - the two holes I will make can always be covered over with a piece of black plastic if returning car to normal.

Note: Rave says to disable the SRS if removing the B post, I presume this is only if you will be tackling the pre-tensioners on the seat belts. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #104146 28th Jan 2012 7:01pm
tsadpt

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

If you can get your fingertips underneath, brute force works! Just pull it straight up. The tricky bit is getting the pins aligned Witt the holes when putting it back. The pins slide in a track on the underside of the tread plate, but there are little semi-circular notches in the track indicating where the pins should be. I use a little ball of blu-tak to stop each pin moving when I turn it the right way up.

Post #104167 28th Jan 2012 8:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1