Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

Trommel wrote:
Not getting a puncture and lasting forever don't necessarily mean that a tyre is "good".

that's jim's experiance of the nexen, but read these threads ,

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic9809.html?highlight=nexen
http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic9216.html?highlight=nexen ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #110567 2nd Mar 2012 6:27pm
JOKER

Scotland 

And here's me remembering the good old days when i would put on any rubber in the hope they wouldn't burst …. Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil Wink ====================================

"Open Mike Night " sounded like a lot of fun until i found out i was going to an Autopsy

Post #110570 2nd Mar 2012 6:34pm
wackyjim

Scotland 2011 Range Rover SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Ahh the good old days!!!..when I was sixteen my Mum used wonder why I needed to get my haircut at the barbers twice a week Laughing

Post #110582 2nd Mar 2012 7:06pm
ahebron

New Zealand 

wackyjim wrote:
^ Agree with you here Stan ...Had Nexens on a Shogun which got dogs abuse on the farm never once had a puncture and lasted 22000 miles before having to change them... if thats budget tyres then they definitely get my vote!! Thumbs Up

Thats not much mileage.
The 245/70/16 BFG ATs I fitted to my Discovery 300TDi 4 years ago have done well over 80,000km and still have a fair bit of life in them. And touch wood no punctures. That is in my eyes a very good 'budget' for tyres.

Adrian

Post #110610 2nd Mar 2012 9:56pm
wackyjim

Scotland 2011 Range Rover SE TDV8 Santorini Black

I agree BFG At's are an excellent tyre which I had on an old Terrano many moons ago and are renowned to last upto 60,000 miles without any problems however they are by their nature a completely different tyre to the more road based tyres such as the Nexen. Most AT's have a deeper lugged tread which are great for more offroad work and the deeper lugs should keep the tyre legal for a greater mileage in comparison to the likes of a Nexen with its less aggressive tred pattern and softer rubber compound which is much better for onroad handling etc but unfortunately has lower mileage capabilities in comparison to the BFG's...It's all about what you want a tyre for I suppose Smile

Post #110612 2nd Mar 2012 10:29pm
tamoré

United Kingdom 

if you're looking at nexen rodian HPs, nexen are officially a mid range tyre now. the reviews online for them seem to be on a par with conti cros contact uhps at nearly £250 a corner.

Post #110633 3rd Mar 2012 8:25am
Stormin

2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Epsom Green
Thank you

Thank you every one for your reply's.

Have made up my mind, im going to give them ago.

Had Hankooks on my old Jag when they were a budget tyre and loved them, they are even now standard fit on new Fords.

Its always nice to recieve feed back from other like minded people.

Many thanks from myself and my Visa card Three things in a blokes life his dog,his car and a Cornish pasty,nothing else matters.

2010 Range Rover Vogue SE Santorini Black, Arabica Aniline seats

Previous cars
1973 Mini 1000
1971 Hillman Avenger
1975 Chrysler Sunbeam
1981 Ford Cortina
1985 Volvo 340
1989 VW Golf
1989 Volvo 240
1991 Volvo 240
1991 Jaguar Soveriegn
1996 BMW 730
2003 Honda CRV
1999 Jaguar Soveriegn
2003 Range Rover HSE Epson Green with Sand trim.

Post #111493 7th Mar 2012 3:49pm
Stephen.125

2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Good luck, keep us posted on them!

I've just ordered Yokos for mine, fitting and 4 wheel alignment on Saturday AM.

To be fair I've had contis on for 21000 and there's still wear on the backs- the fronts are scrubbed on the outside and feathered on the inside and ready for the bin.

There is still 4.5-5mm on the backs!

Thumbs Up

Post #111502 7th Mar 2012 4:10pm
jim2RRs

United States 2005 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Chawton White

When I bought my 2000 RR with 42,000 miles, it had the original Michelin tires on it.
They went to almost 55,000 miles.
Replaced them with Nitto Terra Grapplers, as this vehicle goes out in the woods sometimes, and that's pretty much the only "AT" tire available for the stupid 18" wheels.
When we bought the 2005 RR last April/May, it had (has) Nexen tires on it.
I just assumed they were some garbage tires car dealers install on vehicles that cost them little and are worth less.
The '05 has 20" wheels, and the nexen tires are not only VERY street-oriented tread, but also directional.
The remaining tread is more than safe, which is good, because the 2000 RR needs a rear pair, and the jeep could use 4 tires.
Probably this summer for the other cars, little miss '05 will probably go another year. Jim
2000 NAS HSE
2005 NAS HSE

Post #112721 13th Mar 2012 2:31am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Well just to put my opinion across... I have owned FF's since 2005 and would not have a pirelli, wrangler or continental tyre on mine as a gift... I have lots of customers who have problems with bad wear/scuffing, saw blade wearing and generally bad experiences... Dunlop and Michelin are the best of the "expensive" bunch at not having many problems IMHO...

I have run Toyo Proxes on my last two and found them to wear brilliantly and hold the road well... I put a brand new set on my TD6 285/35/22 and drove them for 36,000m before scrapping them (mainly for age related reasons, cracks etc) rather than being worn out...

In contrast, my wife has Bridgestones on her freelander and i thing they are Thumbs Up ... They are wearing evenly and lasting ages...

My Audi TT had Dunlops on the front and budgets on the rear, expensive but worth every penny when its raining!!!

Im only sharing my findings with you guys, dont need you all rowing with me now because you have had a different experience living in a city or on a farm or in a dessert... Just my honest findings...

Craig Thumbs Up

Post #112735 13th Mar 2012 8:39am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
Well just to put my opinion across... I have owned FF's since 2005 and would not have a pirelli, wrangler or continental tyre on mine as a gift... I have lots of customers who have problems with bad wear/scuffing, saw blade wearing and generally bad experiences... Dunlop and Michelin are the best of the "expensive" bunch at not having many problems IMHO...

This surely just reinforces the benefit of independent and objective testing if you want the "best" (albeit not that there are many tests of 4x4 tyres). In general use, and not under controlled conditions, there are so many variables at stake I'm sure that only the most obvious subjective differences between tyres would be apparent.

"Bad wear/scuffing, saw blade wearing" - that sounds very much like the car is at fault, not the tyre. I'd also be reluctant to dismiss an entire brand's various products on this basis.

Post #112749 13th Mar 2012 9:48am
Stormin

2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Epsom Green
More decisions

As promised i should have pictures of my refurbished wheels, the first 4 pictures are of the one i will be using as the spare and shows some of the damage. The remaining pictures are of the refurbished wheels, which were in a much worst state, not a bad job for £40 a wheel.

My problem now is that after making up my mind to purchase the 255/50 R 20 Nexen tyres,another member Cliffy has purchased some 275/45 R 20 Hankooks. Having had Hankooks before, i would love to purchase these instead.

Some one else on the forum mentioned that 275/45's can only be fitted to wheels from the sport, are these wheels suitable, i think they are BBS wheels.

Also will i have to purchase new nuts, i believe there is another size.

Decisions.

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Three things in a blokes life his dog,his car and a Cornish pasty,nothing else matters.

2010 Range Rover Vogue SE Santorini Black, Arabica Aniline seats

Previous cars
1973 Mini 1000
1971 Hillman Avenger
1975 Chrysler Sunbeam
1981 Ford Cortina
1985 Volvo 340
1989 VW Golf
1989 Volvo 240
1991 Volvo 240
1991 Jaguar Soveriegn
1996 BMW 730
2003 Honda CRV
1999 Jaguar Soveriegn
2003 Range Rover HSE Epson Green with Sand trim.

Post #116022 2nd Apr 2012 3:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12