2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

Just booked it Thumbs Up '09 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto for the Mrs

Using the works Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Sport Van - CHROME FREE THOUGH

Searching for a nice E63 AMG or S8 V10 to replace my "wonky" TDV8

Post #11820 27th Jan 2010 5:20pm
neo

England 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Santorini Black

Hey Doc!

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

I shall do a write-up on the Jan night - but OMG!

The best ever day/night I have done at Eastnor - just awesome stuff.

Track selection was superb and the D4's were suitably impressive.

I do have a load of pics as well, but they really don't do the event justice.

Post #12080 31st Jan 2010 5:38pm
The doc

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

Cool Thumbs Up Im looking forward to it Thumbs Up '09 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto for the Mrs

Using the works Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Sport Van - CHROME FREE THOUGH

Searching for a nice E63 AMG or S8 V10 to replace my "wonky" TDV8

Post #12084 31st Jan 2010 6:31pm
neo

Good man Thumbs Up

You won't be dissappointed.

The format of the day runs something like this;

All meet at LRE Eastnor, have bre and do the introductions to the team. On the last Jan night 3 cars were running, 09 plate D4's with Expo racks, hella HID lights on them. People are split into cars and then you convoy out onto the relatively simple tracks to allow people to get familair with the cars etc. This starts in day light but the darkness soon draw in. The tracks get more and more slippy as the temperature drop and the routes gets a little more challenging. After a few hours we head back for some hot food, drink and general banter about the first stint. We chow down and get ready to head for the second half.

The second half is much more challenging and interesting from the get-go as we head into the woods and some more testing tracks. Skills were tested as the conditions got slippier and the tracks steeper and slicker. At some points it was drive in, winch out. Towards the end of the evening we stop for the hamper of hots drinks and cake etc.

The actual experience was like this;

The first half of the evening was very pleasant, I have not been out in a D4 yet so I was keen to see how it had improved etc. The tracks used were the press route and some of the more leisurely ones to get people used to the cars and build confidence, and enjoy the dwindling light levels. As time moved on we started to explore some of the more famous tracks, one of particular note was Spen King hill, which we took downhill, first few hundred yards was basically like ice and so it was a case of driving down until traction was found, the last vehicle, well they had fun on that one! We then moved out onto the some of the grassy areas and it soone became apparent that momentum would be our friend during the course of the evening. As the temperature dropped and dew appeared the driver involvement increased. We saw a herd of deer on the hill as we made our we back for the lovely stew that awaited us. The food was very good, the scene in the tipee was classic and shared a bit of banter as people compared notes on the few hours previous.....

But the second half was what it was all about, winching, wading, wheel skills would all be tested as we moved into Clenchers Mill woods. It became a scene from G4 or possibly Camel selections as tracks got rutted, twisty and lined with trees and the grip just seemed to disappear. It was good to see Martin, the event lead, having to really work the D4 to get it to keep moving as gravity and Eastnors slippy, claggy, clay mud sapped the engine of power and torque. It came down to driver confidence and the ability of the cars to keep things moving, and at times we did stop and a recovery was required. One of the final tracks that martin selected proved to be a fantastic challenge, just enough work to get everyone through, in the dark, cold and slippy conditions but enough of an adrenalin rush that I think that even all the instructors - Alfie, JP and Martin had a glint in there eyes as we finally broke free and made it to the the hamper stop. And as we got out and started to enjoy the hot coffees and teas in the middle of Clenchers Mill woods, the smiles were more than evident.

Eastnor is very much a magical place for me, and many Land Rover owners and enthusiasts. And whilst I am not 'in the club' currently I can assure you I never felt such a need to be back in an LR product as the pure abilities of the cars were demonstrated yet again. This was much more than a night drive, it was an experience that only Land Rover can give you..... it was not just a case of the best4x4xfar, it was more than a show case of product capability and it was more than just an event..... it was one of those epiphany's that you get and you think - wow, how good was that!

Post #12117 31st Jan 2010 9:55pm
neo

Good to meet you yesterday chap. I think the weather made it both interesting and a bit less exciting than the Jan drive. Still, the snow at Eastnor was fun this morning, DSC buttons are very good Smile

glad you enjoyed it, it was a cracking nightout, was good fun and great company and those roof lights are awesome.

Really made up for you with your kid etc, I can see you are thrilled to bits Smile

I think I may make it down again in the summer, when it is warm..... oh and you haven't put me off a TDV8 Wink

Post #13525 21st Feb 2010 9:44pm
Das Doc

Germany 

Hi all,

Yes Neo it was a great afternoon / evening out and was worth every penny.

I arrived at 3.15 to be greeted by a really great bunch of instructors, than ushered into a room whilst we waited for the other guests to arrive.

We were then shown to our vehicles; there were only two drivers in our car, myself and Neo so we both got to do a lot more driving than everyone else.

Anyhow the tops and bottoms are that the evening was fantastic and I can totally recommend it to everyone, and thanks again Neo for the recommendation. Audi RS4 to replace my "wonky" TDV8

Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto for the Mrs. (the best, most complete LR product to date)

Searching for a Gallardo E-gear for fun.

TDV8 Vogue GONE
TDV8 Vogue GONE
RRSport HSE GONE
DISCO 3 HSE GONE
Defender XS GONE
Defender Tdi GONE
DISCO 2 ES GONE
DISCO 1 Tdi GONE

German brother of "The Doc" as he's banned on all FFRR/Disco 3/RRS/FL2 for being a pain in the FL2 forum Rolling Eyes

Post #13821 24th Feb 2010 10:24pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Banned .............Confused ====================================

"Open Mike Night " sounded like a lot of fun until i found out i was going to an Autopsy

Post #13822 24th Feb 2010 10:27pm
Das Doc

Germany 

Yes, I *think* so Sad Audi RS4 to replace my "wonky" TDV8

Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto for the Mrs. (the best, most complete LR product to date)

Searching for a Gallardo E-gear for fun.

TDV8 Vogue GONE
TDV8 Vogue GONE
RRSport HSE GONE
DISCO 3 HSE GONE
Defender XS GONE
Defender Tdi GONE
DISCO 2 ES GONE
DISCO 1 Tdi GONE

German brother of "The Doc" as he's banned on all FFRR/Disco 3/RRS/FL2 for being a pain in the FL2 forum Rolling Eyes

Post #13823 24th Feb 2010 10:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12