Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > no heater blower
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
trainmanone

England 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Oslo Blue

Im at work at min and looking at pics on phone.looks like the hole needs to be made a bit biger to the left.and have you taken the silver vent and hazad warning switch out?theres a screw that needs to come out so the black vent pipes.can be moved.

Where abouts are you in north wales.if not to far can call over tommorow have hawkeye diagnostics for l322 td6 in the manchester area ,pm for deatalis.

Post #170884 8th Feb 2013 9:45am
mrd1990

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Oslo Blue

hmm Never thought to take out the front centre vents. Do they go all the way back and protrude into the path of the blower?

I'm over 100 miles from stockport so would feel bad having you drive 250 miles to fix my car.

Post #170935 8th Feb 2013 12:58pm
trainmanone

right ive just had a look on lap topthe hole is not big enough,needs the left hand side cutting out.

the vent needs to come out then take out screw you can see it in the pic,then push the vent pipes towards yourself and it should come out.

dont mind coming over to help you out mate if you need it have hawkeye diagnostics for l322 td6 in the manchester area ,pm for deatalis.

Post #170947 8th Feb 2013 1:44pm
mrd1990

Well there we go, job done Cool - Thanks trainmanone Thumbs Up

Brace for photos/guides and joy of A/C!

Click image to enlarge

£1000+ saved and all it cost was some skin and £90 for a new motor

Click image to enlarge

All working nicely for the first time in over a year

Quick guide for anyone thinking of trying this job (not recommended unless you're a regular DYIer/spanner head) - Do this at your own risk

Reference photo:

Click image to enlarge

1) Take dash off and front radio unit out

Step 1
Step 2

2) Slide centre vent out (Push pins inside, same as side vents)

3) Remove the screw highlighted in green, the head for the screw is in the hole where the centre vent came out.

This screw holds the vent ducting in place (highlighted in blue) removing it allows you to bend the ducting forwards towards you when fitting the motor.

4) Using a small pair of cutters/pliers, cut chunks of the plastic out to widen the hole, use the pink line in the reference photo for a rough guide. Be careful not to cut any wires, check behind plastic first.

5) Take blower cover off and take it out from the hole, unplug the motor and undo the 3 screws holding it in place.

6) Tea break

7) Remove motor, fit new motor - This is the hard part!

The hole you cut will be big enough however inside there is a rubbery/plastic bulge that sticks out

See photo: http://www.fullfatrr.com/gallery/albums/us...G_0898.JPG
(Grey scratch marks on the bulge)

Update:

Edit: The hole can be made big enough by cutting the foam bulge as seen in this photo,

(Thanks Zambezi for photo and trainmanone for tip)

The width is around ~3cm less than the width of the plastic blades. The blades will squash slightly to just about squeeze past, use force and slightly turn the blades against the bulge at the back to get the motor to the top.

The final bit to removing the motor requires bending the vent ducting (highlighted in blue) back by pulling it from the centre vent hole. I found the right vent would only come back a small amount with force, the left vent gives more room so remove the left side of the motor out first, then slide the right over and take it out from the left.

Pic: http://www.fullfatrr.com/gallery/albums/us...G_0885.JPG

Before fitting the new motor, clean out any bits of plastic for obvious reasons...

Fitting the new motor is pretty much the reverse of removing, be careful not to damage the blades when squashing it past the bulge.[/s]

You should only do this method if you are poor or a competent spanner head, if you have the money just take it to a garage..

Video of my new blower working

Many thanks to trainmanone! Thumbs Up

And finally, for anyone whoever wondered where exactly the final state resistor is going when you replace it..

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up

Last edited by mrd1990 on 14th Mar 2015 12:44pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #171844 12th Feb 2013 9:07pm
trainmanone

thats a brilliant how to ,glad you got it sorted well saves a grand.

great pics ,can this go in the wiki ?????

pete have hawkeye diagnostics for l322 td6 in the manchester area ,pm for deatalis.

Post #171912 13th Feb 2013 9:20am
daz62

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

Great work train and mrd.

It is so reassuring to have these write ups to call on when things go wrong with the FFs.

Cheers. Thumbs Up 03 4.4 V8 petrol / lpg. 1st of many hopefully. I love my Rangie

Post #171915 13th Feb 2013 9:33am
Joe90

England 

Excellent train and mrd !!

stan: wiki this post: http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post171844.html#171844

thank you please and thank you Thumbs Up .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Last edited by Joe90 on 13th Feb 2013 1:03pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #171948 13th Feb 2013 11:40am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

entered into the wiki... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #171959 13th Feb 2013 12:26pm
trainmanone

just for info get the motor from a bmw about £20 on the bay Thumbs Up have hawkeye diagnostics for l322 td6 in the manchester area ,pm for deatalis.

Post #172070 13th Feb 2013 7:22pm
TommyZoom

2003 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Zambezi Silver

Slightly off topic perhaps, but a search threw nothing up! My blower motor works fine but is missing most of one of the fan blades, so it's not quite as powerful or balanced as it should be! Does anybody know if it is possible to put a new blade, from a donor motor off eBay onto my motor? It looks like it's pushed on but I can't get it off! Current: 2003 Range Rover Vogue SE Auto TD6, 2004 Mercedes C270 CDi Saloon Elegance SE

Gone: 1966 Land Rover Series 2a, 1999 Mercedes A170, 1998 Vauxhall Omega Estate 2.5 V6

Post #235127 15th Jan 2014 6:16pm
mrd1990

They don't come off from what I remember Confused

Post #235144 15th Jan 2014 8:03pm
trainmanone

one side will come off but bet its the side that wont.to do job should only take a couple of hours if that ,the rubbery compound at the back of the bulkhead can be cut away so giving a bit more room Thumbs Up
just follow the how to and you cant go wrong saves two days labour plus about £1600

pete have hawkeye diagnostics for l322 td6 in the manchester area ,pm for deatalis.

Post #235292 16th Jan 2014 2:46pm
Darius82

United Kingdom 

Hi All!

Newbie to the forum, and I have to say I've actually joined specifically to say a big thank you to trainmanone and mrd1990! Bow down

Having just the other week spent in the region of £1000 to solve a persistent and then chronic problem with the dreaded "HDC Inactive / Transmission Failsafe Mode / Transfer Box Neutral" warnings, with associated lights and symptoms (I know it's a common problem with diverse solutions, but with mine it was sorted by removing a water damaged Headlamp Leveling Control Unit, replacing Transmission Transfer Box Actuator and Steering Angle Sensor - the usual cascade of domino effect errors...), I wasn't really enthusiastic about another big bill so soon just to find out what might be up with my heater blower!

My blower went quite suddenly - had only stopped the car for a few minutes, got back in and no heater fan - with no warning signs. Having asked around for advice and trawled the forums, I did change the Final Stage Resistor before trying anything else, but no joy. I had come across this thread a couple of times, but honestly was quite reluctant to start chopping away at such a "finely tuned" machine lol Rolling Eyes

Anyway, read all the instructions here, pored over all the pictures and took the plunge - and the first cut. Total cost = £80 for Blower Motor from Ebay, 3 hours of my day, and a couple of pints for my brother in law whom I'd roped in for moral support and to share the load of plastic nicks and cuts. Result = fully functioning blower, with no visible evidence of the open heart surgery we'd just performed! Thumbs Up

Seriously guys, this is absolutely not something I would have ever thought about doing myself, but you've really found a great fix here. Saved me a LOT of time and money - mainly money - and it's not an op that will adversely affect or damage performance or internal dynamics. Hope many others read this thread and get some good use from it.

Thanks again!

Post #247293 9th Mar 2014 11:09pm
trainmanone

first off welcome to the forum,

glad you have got it sorted it is a good way of saving ££££££££££

Post #247388 10th Mar 2014 4:36pm
Zambezi

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

A really useful thread, thank you.
When I recently bought my 2002 RR it sounded as if there was a leaf caught in the fan. After attempting to hoover any debris via the removable pollen filter housing under the bonnet and having no effect, I stripped down the dash as described to find that the fan had already been replaced using the method illustrated. The problem for me is that the plastic fins have been damaged during the re-install by the PO and the fan gets out of balance on all speeds except the first speed and the resultant vibration gives the sound of a leave being trapped in the blower.
Could someone please give me the correct part number for the fan so that I can try and get another one please.....any recommendations as to where is the best place to buy would be greatly appreciated.Thanks
David

Post #317256 10th Mar 2015 12:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>