Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Check coolant level and PDC help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
vogue12345

Check coolant level and PDC help

Hi

I'm new to the forum and just wanted some advice on the check coolant sign which keeps coming up. I've got a 52 plate Vogue L322

I know there are some threads on this however couldn't find one which discusses the coolant actually disappearing and the sign continuously coming up but no apparent sign of a leak?

I've topped it up with a mix of anti freeze and water and that all disappeared within a week! Have topped up with water temporarily but there's no puddle by the car and I can't seem to find any leak - anyone have any ideas whether the coolant may be leaking further down somewhere?

Also, had a problem with the PDC for a while - had the sensor changed as the computer showed the back right sensor kept showing something was close to it when it wasn't so it had a constant beep when in reverse.

Since the sensor has been changed it's still very intermittent and stays on a fixed bleep noise and sometimes nothing at all when reversing - the passenger wing mirror has stopped dipping on reverse as well (and the driver's side just doesn't dip at all)

Bit of a long winded post but if anyone has any advice or help it'd be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Post #198122 9th Jul 2013 12:06am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Welcome... Coolant - need to post id TD6 or V8...

Is the light flashing when the PDC plays up? If so there is a hard fault...

If the NS mirror has stopped dipping in reverse then check where the mirror switch is pointing... One way with the switch pointing to the OS or NS the mirror dips, the other way Thumbs Up it does not dip...

Post #198123 9th Jul 2013 12:14am
vogue12345

Hi Craig

Sorry I forgot to mention that - it's a 4.4 V8

Most of the time it's either fixed orange, however it has flashed a few times.

The Nearside mirror never dipped since purchase (about 5 weeks ago) and I've tried flicking the switch but nothing - will try it again though!

Thanks for your reply

Post #198124 9th Jul 2013 12:19am
Katash

England 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

If you are loosing coolant but cant see where then check your engine oil cap for signs of 'mayonase' indicating a head gasket failure .... althoughmy guess would be a tiny crack in your expansion bottle .... people have reported this causing the coolant to leak out when pressurised.

Post #198125 9th Jul 2013 12:21am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

re the sensor, its a common problem that the wiring gets chaffed on the off side outer pdc, check the wiring and you might find the problem.
near side mirror dips when you have the mirror adjustment selection button slid towards the driver, the drivers mirror does not dip. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #198130 9th Jul 2013 6:58am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

^+1 just buy a new rear loom for £20 and whip off the back bumper & change it. 30 minute job and 90% chance of a permanent fix. Thumbs Up

Re Coolant better check oil for mayonnaise and expansion tank for a film of oil. Hopefully its simply leaking from somewhere and drying in the hot weather though.

Post #198136 9th Jul 2013 7:48am
vogue12345

Hi guys

Thanks for the responses.

Couldn't seem to get the oil cap off so will try again when everything is cold - so unsure of whether any film is on it.

Also, could not find a crack on the expansion tank, there may well still be one but I can't see it. What I can confirm is the level always goes down to a certain point and never any lower.

If the oil cap hasn't got the mayo and I don't find a crack is there any other thing that could be causing the coolant to diminish to quickly?

Thanks again everyone

Post #198239 9th Jul 2013 9:30pm
Rob2529

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

prob a leaking radiator. they leak from the lower left when looking from the front. The coolant then gets blown over the hot engine and gives no indication of a leak. eventually it gets bar enough to form a puddle unset the car. Another area prown to fail is the water pump. Again no signs due to the fan blowing coolant overt the engine. check the rear hoses and the valley pan. They fail but not as likely as the other 2. [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]
04, 4.4V8, Vogue Oslo Blue with LPG.
"You can sleep in your car, BUT you can't race your house!!!!"

If something can't be fixed with a hammer....... You have yourself an electrical fault!

Post #198242 9th Jul 2013 10:17pm
vogue12345

Thanks for the info Rob - will look into it. If it is water pump or leaking radiator would that mean a new one then?

I've got a 12 month warranty with VGS so that is something that they should cover if there is an issue that I can't sort out with a small fix.

A general update to any advisors - the PDC often does not even engage when put into reverse and the button has to be pressed and the sound is no longer a flat fixed tone but a slow beeping one.

All sensors are clicking as well.

Regarding the loom can anyone point me in the direction as to where to get one for the best possible price?

Thanks guys

Post #198244 9th Jul 2013 10:29pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Any MAIN DEALER but Dan @ Duckworths will be cheapest.

However prices only vary from £18 to £22 so if you can get one locally its really VERY cheap anyway. Thumbs Up

Post #198247 9th Jul 2013 11:02pm
Trist78

2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Rob2529 wrote:
prob a leaking radiator. they leak from the lower left when looking from the front. The coolant then gets blown over the hot engine and gives no indication of a leak. eventually it gets bar enough to form a puddle unset the car. Another area prown to fail is the water pump. Again no signs due to the fan blowing coolant overt the engine. check the rear hoses and the valley pan. They fail but not as likely as the other 2.

Agree with Rob

When my rad went it was very difficult to spot!

Have you taken the plastic under carriage under the engine if your leak is not enough it would pool on the tray !!

Also don't rule out the expansion bottle when I spotted mine it was a hairline and fine spray when fully pressurised.

The water pump will either leak around the gasket or where it connects on the pulley but again a good view is when the under tray is off !!

Also last thing your sensor in the expansion bottle could be faulty or too much crap around the probe. Just remembered it will bong if you haven't got a 50/50 mix with the coolant !

Good luck

Post #198257 9th Jul 2013 11:28pm
vogue12345

Hi guys

Sorry for the late reply - have taken your advice and been trying to fault find!

My local garage suspects it could be a leaking rad as there is antifreeze in line with where the radiator is under the car.

I've got a 12 month warranty with VGS so will have them sort it out - can't keep topping the car up with water every week!

Will also try the wiring loom - just dealing with what seems to be a slow puncture but having had the valve changed which apparently was the problem it's still losing air!

Also had the check brake pads light come on so searching on the forum for a solution for that too!

Thanks again everyone - much appreciated

Post #198850 15th Jul 2013 12:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1