Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Rust Repairs - Wax Oiling an 'Extra' ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black
Rust Repairs - Wax Oiling an 'Extra' ?

Hi,

Via the forum my understanding is that best way to keep future rust at bay if existing signs of corrosion are first properly repaired, is to wax oil the repaired areas.

Our SC has recently had a brand new driver's door (not due to corrosion); and it has recently had the rear wheel arches and upper tailgate repaired and repainted due to signs of corrosion. The main dealer has undertaken all of these repairs at no cost to us. Today I sought clarity as to whether or not newly repaired and repainted areas had been given wax oil treatment to prevent the future recurrence of rust on affected areas.

I've just noticed an Email from the main dealer which says the bodyshop has not wax oiled any of the newly painted areas and that to do so would have a further cost implication.

I have 2 questions if anyone can please advise:

1. Are the 3 areas I've mentioned all areas that could or should receive wax oil treatment to prevent future recurring rust?

2. Should areas of rust repaired by a main dealer not be wax oiled as a matter of routine/ part of the job and in accordance with LR UK recommendations?

My car remains at the main dealer whilst this issue is considered.

Thanks in advance.

Post #202843 7th Aug 2013 6:21pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I cant think that these areas would be routinely waxoiled, that woukd generally be reserved for the underside of the car.

The rear arches arent waxoiled from the factory, and benefit from the protector strip from the rrss which will protect them agains further damage. This can be fitted with either a bit of waxoil in it or a dab of Vaseline to keep the water out. Very cheap and easy solution to a standard rangie problem. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #202845 7th Aug 2013 6:29pm
pld118

Hi, found reference to the wax oil query on the below thread. Baron had said that his warranty repairer said that they are instructed by LR to spray waxoil inside the bottom of the door to stop the same happening again. He removed his door trim to check and his had been done. Hoppy_70 said similar on the same thread. Hence I asked the MD if they had wax oiled mine, only to be told they had not.

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic19717....r+tailgate

I can't imagine wax oiling would be a major time consuming issue nor have large cost implications and I'm wondering why if some approved body shops are dong it according to a so called LR UK directive, why other body shops are not doing it, such as in my case.

Thanks

Post #202855 7th Aug 2013 7:20pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I would imagine they have repaired it per original spec, which wasnt waxoiled.

If you can get it done for nothing or a small fee then Its probably worth getting the tailgate done as this seems to be the most common area bar the arches for rust, not really heard too many people who have had a problem in the door area. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #202876 7th Aug 2013 9:17pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Ide waxoil them but make sure the drain holes are not filled in the process Thumbs Up

Post #202882 7th Aug 2013 10:14pm
pld118

Thanks all/ Craig... how is it done please... I take it no panels need taken to bits to do it and it's just a case of injecting the wax oil in the holes (layman's description)?

For the record... not complaining about the main dealer customer service, just trying to understand how these jobs should be done 'properly' so as to minimise likelihood of future recurrence Thumbs Up

Post #202883 7th Aug 2013 10:20pm
Baron

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Baltic Blue

Yep, waxoiling will certainly stop any internal rusting from forming and external too with occasional reapplication. What I was told by the Aberdeen local approved LR body repairer Kinghorn was that they are instructed to inject waxoil into any newly fitted upper tailgate. They did mine as I checked. 4.4 TDV8 Vogue Baltic Blue MY11

Post #202892 7th Aug 2013 11:58pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I would have pushed to have the tailgate replaced personally, given its such a widely known issue Whistle Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #202894 8th Aug 2013 12:45am
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

There is something in the Workshop Manual about corrosion and that anyone reprinting the car should 'be familiar with corrosion protection used on this vehicle.' If they're being difficult, will they guarantee their NEW parts with a full, new corrosion warranty? I think they'd rather waxoyl it.

Post #202898 8th Aug 2013 1:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1