Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Is cruise control 'economical'?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Mmmmmmmmmm I wonder if that is still valid on cars with traction and stability control, systems that are a lot better at controlling a car than the average driver. I would be surprised if the DSC on the FFRR is not working when the CC is on and therefore the electronics will take care of the issues mentioned.

Having driven all kinds of "non enhanced" cars (like the manual "cruise control" Alfa Romeo for example) I can imagine that on those cars it could be a problem but on the modern cars with electronic "nanny control" I doubt whether the above quotes are valid. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #218614 25th Oct 2013 10:02am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Cruise for the straights then when it comes to a hill just before going up maintain with the accelerator and knock the cruise off then let the speed drip away slowly as you go up the hill so as to keep the MPG semi decent and then knock it on once you get to the crest so it is even better when it comes to the downslope Smile

Or just stick it at 56mph and draught the lorries if MPG worries you that much Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #218618 25th Oct 2013 10:19am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

PS the link from the M56 to manchester airport slip round has some bumps in it. When i had the cruise set at 70 it would haul ass around the slip road even in the wet and then you could watch the dsc light and feel it kick in as it slid a little but stayed well under control so the systems can work together albeit fight each other as one tries to kill speed and the other tries to maintain it. FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #218620 25th Oct 2013 10:21am
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

I can confirm that using cruise in the wet is not advisable!

Once hit a big patch of standing water on the motorway at 75 mph and had a an unsettling loss of traction adn direction. instantly reverted back to manual and car settled down.

Post #218633 25th Oct 2013 11:36am
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

ebajema wrote:
Because it holds the revs constant it is supposed to use the least amount of fuel as accelerating "overfuels" briefly and that increases the fuel consumption. I only ever heard this as theory and based on my knowledge of cars and engine I think it is correct.

I think the days when cars ran rich to accelerate are gone. With cats they need to run stoichiometric all the time. I think the only exception are direct injection engines where they can run lean.

PaulTyrer wrote:
...The cruise control is designed for normal road conditions. It doesn't know when the pavement is slippery. Under slick conditions, you need to be in complete control and monitoring road conditions. You're more likely to notice hydroplaning if you are not relying on the cruise control.

...With some cars, it is possible that the wheels will actually spin faster when the cruise control is on and the car hits a slippery spot. When the tires make contact with firm road again, the car can skid or lose control.

...On most cars, the cruise control is disengaged by tapping on the brake. In an emergency, this adds a fraction of a second to your response time as well as the risk of the braking action itself causing a loss of control on a slippery road.

I tried cruise control in the snow on a BMW I had that also had traction control and stability control. I was waiting for a fight between them all but as soon as the traction control kicked in it turned the cruise off. I use cruise plenty in the wet but not in very heavy rain. Same with snow. I agree it's not for extreme conditions but the advice above is just not relevant for a modern car with stability systems.

Post #218638 25th Oct 2013 11:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12