Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Big Engine Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
FTS999

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Well chaps, I had another look at the range rover today and found there is a good spark on number 1 cylinder so that is ll good. So moved onto the injector and found there was no signal to injector number 1. So I assume once this injector gets earthed out it will inject unmetered fuel into the cylinder hence the flooding, loss of spark & smoking. Tomorrow I will carry out some continuity testing and try and find this fault. Before we set up the T4.

Post #229595 16th Dec 2013 5:47pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Excellent at least it is moving forward keep us informed.

Post #229602 16th Dec 2013 6:14pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

guessing here, if you found where the injector harness gets back to the ecu pulse area, if you disconnect that multiplug then your injector wires would then show disconnected, ie on others, if you are still seeing an earth say, you could have an injector harness wire trapped under an component, or nut etc, causing this earth you may be now seeing, (on no1) possibly from your PCV removal etc.... and this may help you test it out the 8 cylinder harness without spiking the ecu with a simple volt/ohm meter... good luck.

Post #229608 16th Dec 2013 6:47pm
FTS999

I carried out some testing on the wiring for injector number 1 today. My diagram shows a red & white wire that carries the permanent live to the injector and a brown and white carries the earth signal from pin 41 of the ECM.

However my car has a brown and white from pin 41 of the ECM which is permanent, and a Brown with no output possibly an earth.

Last edited by FTS999 on 17th Dec 2013 7:12pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #229789 17th Dec 2013 4:42pm
FTS999

I have found out the live is permanent which means the signal is via the earth. If this is correct this must be controlled by the ECM. Does anyone know what the pin number is for injector number 1 signal wire?

Post #229850 17th Dec 2013 6:38pm
johnboyairey

indeed according to the RR circuit diagram, the colours are red/white and brown/white, (inj no1) going back to pin 41 on the ECM. are you sure you are on the ECM.. I don't know off hand what is the ECM without opening up the blackbox etc. maybe post a pic of the unit and you pointing to pin 41 etc. someone here will know,

Post #229896 17th Dec 2013 10:03pm
FTS999

I have carried out further wiring tests today and there is only 0.03v from the ECM to the faulty injector. Here lies the fault, no output from ECM.

Post #230006 18th Dec 2013 2:36pm
johnboyairey

i assume you have tested a working injectors pulse? to compare etc.

Post #230015 18th Dec 2013 4:01pm
Contraband

Scotland 

It could be being pulled down to 0.03v.. Have you checked for o/c or s/c on the wiring from that pins connector to the injector?
As above, what voltage are you looking for? Or is it a pulse? I take it you have a peak hold on your meter if so? Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #230021 18th Dec 2013 4:18pm
FTS999

I have tested the perminant live feed to the injector plug and that is fine around 13.5v.

I then tested the continuity of the signal wire from the ECM connector to the injector plug outlet and it comes back as sound, but there is only 0.3v. SoI ran a output test from two different injector from the ECM and they are fluctuating between 13.4v - 13.8v

Post #230041 18th Dec 2013 7:47pm
Contraband

Scotland 

How are you getting on with this? Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #230485 20th Dec 2013 6:50pm
FTS999

I have the ECU out now but finding someone to test it is proving difficult. Saying that I have just found a company in Bournemouth that might be able to help.

Post #230490 20th Dec 2013 7:13pm
johnboyairey

mmm, i see you are getting 13v from perm feed wire, and it goes through injector and back to pin41 i assume that the aforementioned 13v is returning to pin 41 via in circuit injector. (if you earth this returning wire it will operate injector yes?) this pin connection (pin41 on ECM) will of course be dragged down by the load of the injector no? when in circuit, are you calling this closed cicuit voltage 0.3v? the pin 41 might not have a voltage as it is switching internally, and 'absorbing the voltage' from the injector circuit. have you compared a working injector pin condition to your suspect no1 inj'. I dont want to pour doubt on your testing, but i still think it will smoke to hell even when you get this injector to fire. i hope that testing this ecu wont break the bank. is it not possible to briefly test it in a differenrt car? i dont know if this part is coded to the security etc. -if it is, be very carefull NOT to lock the car with it removed, as you will lose snch. and on a P38 that means you need another gadjet to resynch etc.

just to sum up here, you have rechecked you PCV valve reassembly with no air leaks etc. missing connectors, kinks, as i really hope its not something overlooked. it seems odd that with notes from previous posts it seems if you isolate the iffy injector 1 it will have no fuel, and maybe no spark, so you will only have a rough-ish idle. but surely no smoke! and if other plugs are blacking, that tells me that oil is burning, or worse still incorrect air volume entering cylinder.
i hope you dont mind me commenting/guessing here, as i cant really see what you are doing under the bonnet. but i wish you luck, and hopes Father Christmas gives you a no1 pulse!

and relax, evryone stops smoking after christmas!

Post #230527 20th Dec 2013 9:07pm
johnboyairey

lastly, in my old v8 p38 days, i used to sometimes ring up RPI in norfolk, was known as v8engines.com they are the experts on the rover v8, but must have hand in the BMW engined cars by now. there are a couple of guys that will talk to you (for free) but they do seem to bombard you with thinking questions, and suggestions, so have a pen ready.
i love this bmw v8 and have recenly bought one from a failed car, to strip down etc.

Post #230529 20th Dec 2013 9:12pm
FTS999

THanks for your comments. It's sometimes hard to wright down exactly what testing has been done, and for the third party to understand exactly.So I will try and get it all across word perfect.

INJECTORS
The injector works fine as I have bought a new one to make sure. this is now in number 1 port.
The old injector from number 1 port was checked out with the loom that supplies number 2 injector. So I now know it wasn't the injector that was at fault.

INJECTOR LOOM
With the loom unplugged on number 1 injector I tested the continuity of the feed wire and the Pulse signal wire back to their points of origin, all good here.
I then checked the voltage of the permanent feed and this was 13.6v. this was compared by the loom that supplies number 2 injector and this was the same.
I then checked the signal voltage on number 1 injector connector and there was only 0.3v at the plug.
I then checked the signal voltage on number 2 injector and there was around 13.6v

ECU
My conclusion was the ecu has no output signal on pin 41. However after reading you last message, if i made up a lead and connected it to the signal connector in the plug and went to earth, would I expect to hear anything? as this is one test I haven't done.

Thanks for all your advise guy really appreciate it

Post #230626 21st Dec 2013 11:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>