Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > LPG > Conversion complete
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Swithins

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Autobiography 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue
Conversion complete

Picked up the new arrival Saturday and Warren said the car had been running very smoothly. 2 weeks before being converted the engine warning light had come in a couple of times but had disappeared. Warren at A-Z plugged his machine in and said it was running lean in both sides so he would check all the hoses while conversion was being done.

No problems at all on Saturday but on Sunday filled the lpg tank, all went well for 4 miles then the lpg turned itself off:(. Sent Warren a text saying I had problems and would be taking car in Monday. He called and asked what was happening, I explained and he agreed to bring it in.

Monday, LPG working fine and continued to work all the way up to A-Z but engine warning light is back. Diagnostics show running lean but only on one side this time.

As the LPG is working fine, Warren said it would be worthless putting on BRC diagnostic machine but if it happens again to call him.

On way home and on the motorway, no engine warning but halfway home lpg stops again. Pressed the button on the dash a couple of times and it works again.

So upshot of today's fiasco is I'm going to let the system bed in for a few days. If it's still playing up Warren said he will pick up the car and keep it for a couple of days to see if he can replicate the problem. So so far although the lpg is being a bit temperamental, Warrens attitude has been excellent. Current:
1999 SL500
2006 Mini One Chrome wrapped
2008 FFRR 4.2sc

Post #254375 14th Apr 2014 11:13am
Full Fat Ray

Wales 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Don't know if this may be relevant, but it could just help you.

I bought my 56 plate 4.4 AJV8 in January, it had already been converted to LPG. On the Saturday I collected it (from Penarth), drove it up to Llangollen, running on LPG. No problems until I stopped at Shell Oswestry on the A5 to fill the gas tank. As I drove off the forecourt, the engine management lamp came on.

Pulled in to a lay by, called the AA out. He checked, and found 'P0170' fuel trim bank 1' code, which he cleared. He advised that running on LPG can cause these codes to appear, and said that providing the engine appeared to be running OK it was alright to continue driving, but if it came back on I would have to get it looked at.

Thought to myself, OK, I'll run her on petrol; and see what happens. Went on to my meeting at Llangollen, on the way back SWMBO had asked me to collect some shopping, so went to Morrison's at Oswestry. When I came out and started up, engine management lamp came back on.

On the Sunday, I borrowed a code reader from a colleague at work, code was again 'P0170 Fuel Trim Bank 1'. Cleared the code, drove home OK.

On the Monday, we went to mother in laws (about 90 mile journey). stopped for Gas near Shrewsbury, EML back on, same code. Cleared it and drove to Newcastle under Lyme no problem.

Took Mother in law for lunch, as we came out of the pub, light back on, same code. Got to her house, cleared it, and drove home with no problem.

On the Tuesday, I drove to the local garage (4 mile round trip). Half way back, light back on, same fault code. Rang the dealer I had bought the car from, they asked if I could return the car and they would get it looked at. So, drove back to Penarth, and came home on the train.

On the Thursday, they rang to say that a faulty lambda Sensor had been replaced, and I could collect the car on the Friday. Went back down to Penarth on the train, picked the Car up, drove to Morrison's in Penarth to fill up, and as I drove off light back on, this time 'P0138 Bank 1 Sensor' fault. Went straight back to the dealer, who loaned me a car to come home in and said they would get it looked at again next week.

On the Thursday, they advised that the replacement lambda Sensor had proved to be faulty, and had been replaced, this time with a genuine part. Arranged for them to drive the car to Brecon, where I would swap over with them. On the Friday Morning, dealer rang to say car had been run up and down the M$ (on petrol) the previous day, with no issues, he had set out that morning with no issues, but thought he would try running on LPG, when he did the Engine management Light had come on. Advised him to continue to the rendezvous, and I would check the fault code - once again, P0170 Fuel trim bank 1.

Took the car back, he said that he would try to find out who had done the LPG conversion and see what they thought. He rang me later that day, and said that he had spoken to Profess Auto Gas, who had done the conversion for the previous owner some 18 months ago, and it had not been serviced since. He said that if I made arrangements to take the car in for an LPG service, they would pay for it.

I was however not convinced that the problem had anything to do with LPG, as I got the same fault when running on petrol, so I googled the fault code and found a technical service bulletin (I think it was on Range Rover.net), which described the exact issue I was having, and said the problem was caused by 'over sensitive ECU calibration), the fix being to load a later map to the ECU. There was a range of VIN no's listed, and the problem affected 4.2Sc as well as 4.4 V8's.

To try and cut a very long story short, I took my FF to Listers at Hereford, who after a fair bit of trouble, managed to load the new ECU map, and I have not had any problem since (have now run over 3000 miles on LPG) Thumbs Up 2006 (56 Reg) 4.4 V8 Vogue In Bonatti Grey (Gorgeous!!)

Post #254384 14th Apr 2014 12:22pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

it could be the car 'adapting' itself in the adaptive values, ie re-tuning itself -like a new pair of shoes. suggest the petrol tank is kept at a suitable reserve height. in case i'm wrong.
good luck, mines perfect, on lpg, -you'll never get rid of thst car now! you have the perfect combination, typical family car economy, and luxury driving, mega-usefulness, power, the list goes on! but i think you are already a wiseman, with that Merc you use.

Post #254389 14th Apr 2014 12:36pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

I had engine management light come on on the 4.2SC as well until I completely cleaned the fuel system and put new pump in AND updated the ECU software. After that gone. The "sensitive" software was a problem and was resolved with the ECU reflash. Suggest to try that first before spending money on the LPG system.

I tried changing the Lambda sensors (no result of course) as well, thinking one of them could be going out and giving the wrong values to the ECU. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #254397 14th Apr 2014 2:00pm
Swithins

Thanks for all comments. I know it's not the lpg as the warning light came on a week after I bought it and a week after it had a land rover full service, 3 weeks before the lpg conversion.

It's also not coming on every time I start the car i.e. tonight drove to office so combo of motorway and London roads. No problem going up to office, on way back stopped at traffic lights and the Censored came on. The lpg converter put his Diogenes tool on it and the first time, pre conversion it read lean code on both sides. Today I saw the converter over lpg teething problem and the warning came up again. The code said lean on only one side this time.

Supposedly I have a bullet proof warranty on the car so will take it to land rover and get them to fix it, hopefully with a software update.

P.s. 180 miles and 1 light and reserve left on lpg so expecting to get 250 miles for £64 Very Happy Current:
1999 SL500
2008 FFRR 4.2sc

Post #254476 14th Apr 2014 10:44pm
Swithins

Click image to enlarge

Can you see the filler?

Click image to enlarge

There it is.

Click image to enlarge

With the cap off.

Click image to enlarge

The tank

Click image to enlarge

Re-sited suspension pump, very quiet.

[/img] Current:
1999 SL500
2008 FFRR 4.2sc

Post #254478 14th Apr 2014 10:56pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Looks like a very tidy conversion. Seriously, get the ECU re-flashed and I'm quite sure that takes care of the horrible light. Used to drive me crazy !!!! MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #254482 15th Apr 2014 12:02am
SoggyBottoms

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue Supercharged Zambezi Silver

that looks a very neat and tidy conversion.

Post #254523 15th Apr 2014 9:53am
Swithins

I'm going to have a word with a local LR Indy, who comes highly recommended and see when I can bring it in for an update to rid the car of that infernal warning light.

The conversion in the engine bay also looks very neat and tidy and will post pics of that later this week.

All seems to be working well now after initial bedding in. Warren does a lot of these, and when I took mine in there was another autobiography on one of his lifts being serviced. I can't recommend him enough.

ATB

Gary Current:
1999 SL500
2008 FFRR 4.2sc

Post #254529 15th Apr 2014 10:04am
cliffy

2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Top job, Warren is quality

Post #254595 15th Apr 2014 5:17pm
Swithins

Warren from A-Z has dropped the beast back to me tonight and everything seems fine so far. No more engine warning light, loose pipe, and stays on lpg now, re calibrated for full tank and something to do with the climate control which was flicking the lpg off randomly.

The beast will get a good test tomorrow, mixture of motorway and Central London driving.

So far I'm not bothered about the niggling problems with the lpg as they are teething problems and Warren has provided rare old fashioned service and has gone out of his way to fix the teething problem.

Oh and bloody annoying rattle from passenger side also fixed. It was the fuse board door behind the glove box, 2 pieces of cheap plastic rattling because they don't fit snugly enough. Jamming a Heathrow car park ticket in a gap sorted that out.

Hopefully I'm as happy tomorrow night after a day of testing. Thumbs Up Current:
1999 SL500
2008 FFRR 4.2sc

Post #256000 25th Apr 2014 12:05am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

You just need to change that sticker in the back window to a FFRR.COM version sir Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #256028 25th Apr 2014 8:19am
Swithins

FFRR sticker arrived yesterday, now just need to clean the back window to stick it on Current:
1999 SL500
2008 FFRR 4.2sc

Post #256607 27th Apr 2014 10:32pm
MinK

United States 
Re: Conversion complete

Hi. Sorry to resurrect an old thread.
I have 2006 HSE converted to LPG and suffering from "running lean" CheckEngine light.
Someone mentioned the TSB related to sensitive ECU mapping and the need to reflash it as a possible solution, but I can not find any more info on this.
Maybe someone has more info at hand?
Much appreciated.

Post #330460 1st Jun 2015 7:49pm
tb10

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

Hi MinK,

This problem can also occur if the LPG system is not configured correctly. I can fine tune mine (Prins LPG system) to either trip the EML or not and on one or both banks. Therefore, it may be worth trying to re-calibrate the LPG system first as having the software is very helpful indeed.

Have a look on eBay to see if you can get the software for your install (Approx £30.00 / $50.00) before you start paying out for re-flashing your ECU.

I hope this helps?

regards

John

Post #330465 1st Jun 2015 8:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>