Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > GM 5L40E - Trans Fail Safe Prog.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
33CHINACARS

Australia 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black
GM 5L40E - Trans Fail Safe Prog.

Boing Trans Fail Safe Prog

Have yet to change oil as it was on my to do list this week . Maybe a much bigger job now . Not that I can afford it.

Going for a long drive on Saturday , stopped locally. Boing Trans Fail safe Prog. Didn't wont to take off. Lots of revs. Tried to limp home a a much reduced speed. Lots of restarting etc. Didn't make it, had to be towed the last little bit. Now no drive in any gear/ mode.

From IIDTool . Trans ECU.

Fault : 34 Gear Monitor 2 Fault : General Fault

Fault : 35 Gear Monitor 3 Fault : General Fault

Fault : 36 Gear Monitor 4 Fault : General Fault

Fault : 37 Gear Monitor 5 Fault : General Fault

Is this electronic or torque converter / valve body. Any other ideas before I start to demolish things

Thanks Gary

PS. After sitting for a few days & resetting ECU ( not sure if I did this before or after I put it in the shed initially ) again, it now moves . Not that's it's going to go anywhere till it's all sorted.

Still to drain fluid to check. Possibly this weekend

Post #257141 1st May 2014 7:52am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

I would thoroughly flush the cooling system and maybe replace cooler & pipes first. Check that the bottom half of the MAIN radiator is not choked with gunk. Then flush box and new oil then hope for the best. Thumbs Up

Post #257144 1st May 2014 7:59am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

interesting thread here on another forum that might help ,

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-r...oblem.html ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #257157 1st May 2014 9:03am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

^ Interesting but I think its about the ZF 5HP24 not the GM5L40E box. Smile

Post #257160 1st May 2014 9:07am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

I would definitely remove the sump to check for metallic debris (usually caused by the torque converter lock-up clutch having worn through its lining)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Phil

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #257295 1st May 2014 10:52pm
Joe90

England 

Sorry to be harbinger of doom, but sounds just like my tale of woe when my box died on me (ended up with replacement) Confused So definitely worth a try with a flush through? .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #257314 2nd May 2014 12:51am
33CHINACARS

Australia 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Thanks All

O'k. Update Finally got to drain some oil from trans. 5 - 6 litres. Black, very black. Cant see any particles in the oil. Apart from being black can't see anything else. Next to pull sump. But it's too cold in my shed to continue tonight. Yes I'm a woose.

Gary

Post #258054 7th May 2014 4:11pm
Scottyav

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Zambezi Silver

My box just went today got gear monitor four and gear monitor five, so having the box fully re con including t/c £1400 all done _____________________________________________________
Zambezi silver Vogue Se unique Smile

Post #258256 8th May 2014 2:57pm
bainbo1

2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver
Transfailsafe after new box

Hi Guys

I am new to the forum and although i am aware RRPHIL is the font of all knowledge and would appreciate some help/advice from him, I don't want to exclude anybody else from my question and would welcome opinions/ideas/thoughts, here it is.

Gents please can anyone advise, I have a 2003 LR322 TD6 with 110000miles full service history, had the fatal Transfailsafe in January 2014 and after examination and testing had the box done along with the torque convertor by a very experienced and well recommended local transmission expert. Here's the thing picked the car up and runs fantastic through the gears however a day later get a miss on the engine and transfailsafe is back. I took it back to the expert who without question tests the box and concludes his work is good the gearbox is doing what it should and gives me the codes which were Lanbus codes? i don't recall what they were however, he said he thought they were an electrical issue. I took the car to my regular trusted Landrover trained mechanic who cleared all the codes checked the battery and alternator both good and said he would keep the car get it to transfailsafe and then read the codes himself, seemed reasonable to me but it wouldn't default to transfailsafe even after one week.

I have run the car since getting it back without a problem been driving great with a new lease of life, when today on a motorway trip after 140 miles check coolant level pops up followed by transfailsafe msg, just prior to the msg the car almost stutters as if in a petrol when an HT lead breaks down, it happened three or four times with the message coming on and off then back to normal, i put the car into manual and back to auto it cleared for the rest of the trip and i have had nothing since. I can take it back to my landy man but all he will do is read and clear the codes and try to get it to trip back to transfailsafe with no guarantee this will happen, I am so frustrated as having paid the pocket hurting £1600 for the work i still have no answer to my problem. Can you help me has anyone else on the group had a similar problem?

Post #259285 13th May 2014 10:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1