Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Mongoose Diagnostics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue
Mongoose Diagnostics

Just wondering if anybody on here has any experience of Drew Technologies Mongoose Diagnostics systems?

http://www.drewtech.com/technician/products/mongoosejaguar.html

Seems to have the same functionality as the factory kit at a fraction of the price and isn't chassis locked either.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #259238 13th May 2014 5:21pm
Joe90

England 

How does man in the street buy one (says for dealers only) ?

$600 = £356 .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #259272 13th May 2014 9:17pm
paul271

Scotland 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Epsom Green

Interesting but like Joe says it states dealer only.

Post #259298 13th May 2014 11:07pm
dhallworth

I've spoken to a guy who retails these units in the UK.

Is it worth asking him about doing a group buy? He's happy to sell to me so I could ask him for a price for X amount of units if people wanted to commit?

Post #259316 14th May 2014 12:15am
Joe90

England 

Members would probably like a full spec of capabilities...... .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #259321 14th May 2014 12:57am
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

If it were that cheap and easy we'd probably not be selling IIDTools for Land Rovers much longer... Razz

dhallworth wrote:
Seems to have the same functionality as the factory kit at a fraction of the price and isn't chassis locked either.

It actually is factory kit: the Drew Tech Mongoose was one of 2 JLR approved dongles to deliver IDS/SDD.

Though you can purchase the Mongoose as a private user, it is only a dongle. You'll still need the diagnostic software: a subscription to IDS/SDD. The most cost effective solution is for a year and costs in the vicinity of ~GBP1400 (tho I have not checked prices recently). And then you'll have an interface that is rather cumbersome and difficult for the user who does not work with the system daily. And very little direct support.

We understand that VIN locks are a deciding factor in purchasing diagnostic kit. One of the main reasons I did not purchase a BBS system for my vehicles many moons ago (and ultimately ended up in the LR diagnostic business myself) was the fact that I could not justify a GBP1000+ system VIN locked to one vehicle. At the same time we need to recoup our (considerable) development costs. So we worked on making the price as low as possible.

We have also changed our VIN lock policy (see post #3 http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic22489.html ). A regular IIDTool will allow 'regular' diagnostic functionality (roughly equivalent to a Hawkeye or Lynx) on one vehicle type without VIN lock (we can only load one vehicle type due to memory limitations). The IIDTool BT allows 'regular' diagnostics on all LR models we cover giving more or less the equivalent to a Hawkeye or Lynx Pro. And both still allow 'penanced' diagnostic functions for however many vehicles you have licenses for (addtl- licenses cost ~GBP60).

And there is not really anything IDS/SDD can do that an IIDTool can't. The new firmware (V3.0) will be out at the end of May. 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Last edited by SteveMFr on 14th May 2014 1:29pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #259351 14th May 2014 8:33am
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Did think when I went on their website there was a distinct lack of software Wink

Post #259363 14th May 2014 9:24am
dhallworth

Ahh!

Didn't realise there was a subscription involved. The guy was stating that it was "ready to roll" as it arrived!

With a subscription at £1400 a year it's not even worth entertaining!

Thanks for the heads up Steve!

Post #259428 14th May 2014 9:15pm
adigorn

United Kingdom 

there is no subscription involve i guess, just illegality

the security of ids/sdd up to certain version can be easily bypassed

(this is not mentioned on auction as from obvious reasons can not be )

so as advertised the interface would be actually "ready to go "

some guys still chooses "windows rather than linux"

all potentially tempted to try sdd need to remember for FFRR its not functional before 2007 really
using it far less intuitional l and without certain knowledge abilities to "alter everything"
are limited

Last edited by adigorn on 17th May 2014 12:12pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #259853 17th May 2014 5:34am
jean-claude

Belgium 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Tonga Green
Serious tools

[quote="SteveMFr"]...One of the main reasons I did not purchase a BBS system...[/quote]

Ok, Steve but, please tell me what do you think about the BBS system (objective of course ;o)

Thanks,
Jean-Claude

Post #259891 17th May 2014 10:39am
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Hi Adigorn,
Yes, as with nearly all software you can find hacked copies of IDS/SDD for not much money - and for older RRs you can find hacked copies of BMWINPA to do the same. But by the time all is said and done, you will have spent a minimum of 50% of one of the lower cost LR diagnostic tools - and if you include the time you spend getting everything up and running, you'll have spent much more even if your day job is in garbage collection and you bill your time at GBP10/hr. And if something goes wrong during the flashing of a file to an ECU, your quite fecked.

If you are tendentially a geek and do this sort of thing as a hobby - and have no moral qualms - you can work with something like this. But it is not cost effective - especially for the average user.

Don't quite get what you mean with "some guys still chooses "windows rather than linux"" - both can be perfectly legal. Shouldn't what you are saying be more like "some guys run legal copies of windows while others scam a product key from somewhere"?

Hi Jean Claude,
No, really? Objectivity from me? Laughing

The BBS system I was referring to was for the P38 - and this was 10 years ago. A lot has changed in the LR diagnostics world since then.

Asking me to be objective in a comparison such as this is difficult - and no one will believe me to 100% no matter what I say. On top of everything else, I do have to admit that I've never actually held a single BBS product in my hands, let alone used one.

What I can say is where I do believe that we excel:
- we went with a large volume distributor (Britpart) to try to bring the price of the IIDTool down as far as possible without sacrificing on functionality - the IIDTool's functionality can not be compared to any other diagnostic system in it's price class (sometimes we wonder if we shouldn't have made it more expensive so that people stop comparing it to a Hawkeye, Lynx, or BBS FCR...). There is nearly nothing that you can do with IDS/SDD that you can not do with an IIDTool.
- we worked hard to make the IIDTool as easy to use as possible
- we work very hard at providing the best support possible.

Ultimately you will have to decide for yourself, tho... Thumbs Up 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s

Post #260188 19th May 2014 8:38am
jean-claude

Belgium 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Tonga Green

Hello Steve , all ,

(please excuse me if my " english " it is not easy to read : Veuillez mettre cela sur le compte du logiciel de traduction qui m'aide et fait, malgré tout, des miracles avec mon mauvais englais Surprised) )

Obviously, we can say that it is wrong to hack the software which is a huge job!
But beware, even if we need to follow the law , should not complain overly companies multiply by 100 the cost of the software and after 1000 copies declare for 100,000 the cost of damage ! ...

If the price is in relation to a normal profit, it will often be normal too! but if the price is a protection for certain categories of persons or organizations , then it is abnormally high , and, generally, abnormal response ... is proposed ...

On the other hand, it is true that the implementation of this type of tool is not easy but the goal of this type of tool requires a good understanding of these complex electronic vehicle !
If you do not know what you should do or do, then how do you not run a risk when you are working on a FFRR ! ...Even if you have a "friendly" tool !

So , ok, there must be a balance, adapted to the question, between "knowledge" and " know nothing " !
This is not useful to have a super easy tool to diagnose cardiac parameters if you are not cardiologist, and if you are cardiologist... that means "super friendly."

In short, if you research the problems ... is that you love that ! : o)))

> if your day job is in garbage collection and you bill your time at GBP10/hr
Beware Surprised) there are people who have made thier profession of garbage collection... and I can tell you they earn more of GBP10/hr ! Surprised))))
( I understand what you mean , of course)

> flash of a file to an ECU , your quite fecked .

Flashing an ECU is always an adventure and do not play this game if you have not really a good reason.

I have a FAULTMATE MSV-2 Extreme, and I can tell ... it has made me very afraid...
And it is for this reason that I have a Mongoose cable because in case of a serious problem , I think I would use with SDD / IDS.
But I wish I could familiarize myself with the SDD / IDS system, but at £ 1400 a year ... it is not reasonable for private user !

I totally agree with you : the service is essential ( we are "amateurs cardiologists" !?! ) and the response to a request for assistance should never be " I 'm afraid I do not know because we working not on vehicles. ". If you see that I would say !

I think your approach is the best and I regret not having found your product before but it is also true that 4 years ago, he was not as developed as the FaultMate MSV-2.
To be honest too, I must say that the BBS is, now, more “stable” (Sorry, I speak only for the L322 MY06-09 I don’t know for others : I have just a MY07 single véhicule licence).

What I feel, is that you are more attentive than others to customer satisfaction and this is much more and more important than any lack of function , anyway, will be available tomorrow .

Thank you for your answer .
Jean-Claude

Post #260453 20th May 2014 9:13am
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Salut Jean-Claude,
Ton anglais n'est pas mauvais, mais mon français ... surtout mon français écrit. Shocked

I did qualify my answer regarding using pirated software and the amount of effort required to do this successfully: if you are into this as a hobby - yes, it is possible. If you are doing it to try to save money, it will likely not work. Especially with the products available today. And even if you get it up and running, you still have to learn to use it. Without support. It just does not make sense. Unless it is your hobby.

Four years ago we did not yet have an IIDTool available, so your choice was quite logical.

As for being afraid when using a diagnostic system: you can make mistakes or the system can crash leading to potentially costly errors. This can happen with our products too - we are human as well. All we can do is try to provide the best support possible to rectify any problems that arise as quickly and painlessly as possible. There are some stories posted on this forum which show that we try. Here is one from another: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic112032....2811fda87a

Steve 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s

Post #260726 21st May 2014 5:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1