Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Lumpy ride and car vibration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
expatmarais

United States 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey
Lumpy ride and car vibration

Hello, being new to site and new to RR ownership can any of you help me to solve the problem I'm experiencing?
2 months into ownership I hit an aluminum ladder on the motorway early one morning.
In ordinary cars it would have left me in the ditch or worse with flat tyres or bodywork damage.
In the FFRR I merely went over it and car carried on. I stopped to check tyres were ok - they were
But, the tracking was out, wheel off centre, pulling to right and also it rode like a wheel was out of balance.
Checked car in to have the tracking and wheel balancing done at my local Land Rover dealer.
Some adjustments were necessary to tracking and a rebalance was necessary acc to them.
They also identified that front brake pads were v badly worn and they replaced them.
Weird, it had a full service 2000 miles previously when I bought it.
Bill was €890 for 3 hours work. I was surprised but put this down to RR maintenance charges being more expensive vs previous Audis and bmws I've owned.

Only, washing car two days later I saw a cable hanging on ground behind rear wheel.
I took it back to dealership and they had not reconnected brake sensor. Annoying but they dealt with it while I waited.

Here's the thing. Tracking is resolved and it runs straight and wheel centered. But I've still got this persistent drum drum drum noise on motorway, at roundabouts and vibration in the seat and steering wheel.
They say the wheels are perfectly balanced.
I asked them to check I hadn't buckled an alloy with the impact. They say they're fine - but I'm not sure.
Car is going back in for thrd time on Wednesday and I suppose it'll be process of elimination.
V annoying and had this before on another car - which was traced to a dodgy alloy.
Your ideas for briefing the dealer as to what to check first? I have asked them to check 2 wheels where balance was required and where it now carries lots of small metal weights. Can buckled alloy be repaired? Am I missing something else?
Much appreciated.

Post #262415 31st May 2014 9:11am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

To actually knock your steering wheel out of centre something has to move...... Get them to check the integrity of the inner and outer track rod arms it may be possible that one bent in the impact, cheap enough to repair, but for the tracking to immediately go so far out that the wheel was off centre surely means that something is bent, possibly the inner track rod/axial tie rod.

Personally i would get a local friendly tyre depot to run the wheels on their balancing machine, and ask them to check if the wheel is out of true and out of balance, hitting something like a ladder, even in a ffrr could mangle a wheel easily, if not the wheel then a tyre.

Dont accept that it is all correct on face value, get under it and have a look, access height check for visible damage, give the joints a wiggle with a pry bar to check for play, compare one side with the other for reference. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #262417 31st May 2014 9:24am
DavidP

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Have you considered a different dealer for an inspection?, mine goes to LR Kortrijk [as well as Sussex, UK]

Post #262428 31st May 2014 10:28am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I'd put 2p on it being the tyre that hit the ladder, they can have serious sidewall damage and it will show on the inside not the outside, will balance ok and look fine at rest but at 70mph it's under a lot of strain...

I'd take it to a reputable tyre shop and ask them to remove the tyre and examine it..

Have you thought of claiming on your insurance, it was damage as a result of an accident after all... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #262436 31st May 2014 11:08am
Haylands

And as has been said, you can't knock the tracking out, it's adjusted by a threaded rod, to put the steering wheel out you have bent something and they have compensated by adjusting the tracking, just because the wheels now point in the right direction doesn't mean nothings bent

Could be a lower arm or the steering rack amongst other things or even the front subframe. Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #262437 31st May 2014 11:13am
expatmarais

Hi thanks for your replies and advice.
Will definitely have a look myself but am no expert, not really sure what I'll be looking at or for but bent rods or difference from one side to other as suggested northernmonkeyjones, I should be able to follow that. Thanks.
My other plan was to fit the spare and see whether that improves it and eliminate all wheel/tyre scenarios.
Didn't realise the tracking cannot be knocked off kilter, so I will ask LR Dealer to check rods/arms - they are supposed to have already - I will ask to have a look on the ramp with them and then I know exactly what I'm looking at.
Haylands, I will also get a second opinion from local tyre shop as suggested on the tyre if still not resolved.
They are brand new pirelli scorpions ;-(

DavidP are you happy with LR Kortrijk? I am no further away from them as to Tournai so may give them a go if you recommend. That having been said other than forgetting to fix the brake pad sensor, I've no real reason to complain of service so far with LR Tournai - except that they still haven't found the problem..
I'll update when all is resolved.

Post #262454 31st May 2014 12:45pm
Haylands

The bend could be very slight and also in more than one part, they should be able to find it but if they can't it may mean a trip to a jig to get it checked, if this is the case I would defo get your insurance company involved as it could cost mega bucks,

Still recon it's the tyre though... Pete

Post #262455 31st May 2014 12:54pm
DavidP

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Very happy with LR Kortrijk. They supplied my beast and 250k on they have done all except 1 service. I also use a place in Sussex for other bits.
For me its 1.5hr drive to them [i'm between Brussels & Antwerp] but worth it.

Post #262533 1st Jun 2014 6:36am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Please make sure you put your safety first... If putting car in off road height and clambering around underneath then please put preferably a set of axle stands. If not, at least your spare wheel under the corner closest to you! As the suspension bags are under a lot of pressure and a failure could squash/injure you, if not worse!!! Not trying to scare anyone. But do the safety stuff please... Thumbs Up

I too would look at damage to the tyre Thumbs Up

Post #262536 1st Jun 2014 7:10am
expatmarais

Well Noted CamtechCraig - I will be looking at with LR Dealer on his ramp and after having seen the pathetic jack decided not to change wheel myself after all.. Shocked . Current: 2017 RR Supercharged. 5.0 V8.
Previous: 2012 TDV8 Vogue SE Santorini Black

Post #262579 1st Jun 2014 1:30pm
expatmarais

Final update:
The magic carpet ride has been restored and peace and tranquility reigns from behind the wheel again.
Cause of aforementioned problems? Two deformed tyres. Not visible on outside. So thanks for the advice.
No probs on steering or suspension arms. All checked.
Sooo smooth again.
Two Pirelli Scorpion Zeros ordered online from Norauto, including fitting and free delivery for €540.
There may well be cheaper but I considered that a fair price. The LR dealership quoted €1080.
I just have to avoid further obstacles now...
Thanks to all. Current: 2017 RR Supercharged. 5.0 V8.

Post #265070 12th Jun 2014 11:17pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

glad its sorted.. Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO ΖŽκ“•βˆ€κ“•Oκ“€ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #265086 13th Jun 2014 5:54am
Haylands

Oh, I like being right, doesn't happen that often!!!!!

Glad it's sorted for you, enjoy the ride..... Pete

Post #265229 13th Jun 2014 3:25pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

^ Ask my Mrs for some tips. She's always right Wink

Good call though Thumbs Up

Post #265234 13th Jun 2014 3:38pm
expatmarais

Sorry to say there was a relapse..
Very weirdly the lumpy ride came back in front (through steering wheel) and back (through seat).
Back to LR Tournai in Belgium. The other two tyres were diagnosed as deformed and therefore compromising the ride.

Decided to call on help of forum Sponsor AJS Tyres in Reigate. Andy and his team have been great. Thumbs Up
Two additional tyres replaced (much better value than price paid in France).
All four wheels rebalanced - and a number of balance anomalies identified and corrected.
Alloys checked. All true no deformities whatsoever. They were also sceptical as to the tyre deformities identified by LR.
But, Magic carpet ride returned. Completely transformed. For about 1000 miles.

Then one day all of a sudden after an hour of driving on motorway through the drivers seat felt vibration again.
Un occupied passenger seat moving up to 1cm each way at speed of 70mph.

Back to Andy and his team - had I lost a wheel balance? Free of charge they rechecked all wheels- no problems.
They also had vehicle up to check for obvious arms/rods/suspension problems.
Nothing visible. Their advice? Back to LR as it's drive or propshaft related and under warranty as probably completely separate to tyre impact problem.

On my way i went. And... vibration completely gone. In fact when car is cold, it's not apparent.
Only after an hour or so of motorway. On deceleration it appears to be worse currently.

Checked in with LR Kortrijk for a change of dealer. (thanks for the tip)
They are inspecting car next week and will swap out my tyres and wheels for a demo set to eliminate that before looking elsewhere. With prospect of warranty claim also came to light, my car docs show first registered April 2012 in Belgium. Vehicle was sold as such. LR Topix system shows registration 5 months earlier in UK of all places. So theres some provenance to check up on as well.

I love my FFRR but it's driving me CRAZY! If I had the extra cash would be swapping in for an L405. But sigh... have to persevere. Big Cry

All advice welcome Current: 2017 RR Supercharged. 5.0 V8.

Post #270273 11th Jul 2014 11:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1