Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Trans Failsafe Mode
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
aclr8r

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Santorini Black

135k on the box although it was supposedly rebuilt at 116k.

It may just be a pressure sensor fault Bow down but i'm asking for the entire box + torque convertor to be thoroughly inspected and rebuilt as required. Just can't be arsed to go through this again so need to know that the box is going to be reliable Rolling with laughter If you don't know what you're doing - do it quickly!

Post #308762 28th Jan 2015 4:03pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

It’s commonplace with the 5L40-E for re-manufacturers simply to replace the parts that have failed and send it out again in the hope that it will make it out of the warranty period (usually one year) without actually replacing the component that caused the failure in the first place i.e. a worn valve block. The Sonnax kits offer a more permanent fix : http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic27204.html

Phil

P.S. There are no pressure sensors on the 5L40-E

Post #308779 28th Jan 2015 4:58pm
aclr8r

Thanks Phil. The local gearbox company that I'm taking it to said that he will replace the valve block (sonnax) along with a complete teardown and rebuild c/w replacement of a new torque convertor.

This should cure the apparent lack of pressure when engaging drive and the 'slipping' on gear 3.

Whistle Fingers crossed. If you don't know what you're doing - do it quickly!

Post #308785 28th Jan 2015 5:11pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

typing with crossed fingers as well here Smile MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #308900 29th Jan 2015 2:52am
aclr8r

Ebajema, hope that your fingers are being for my situation and not that you're in the same?

Dropping FF with the transmission guy tomorrow and should have it back by the tail end of next week. I'm prepared to have to pay out for a fully recon box c/w new torque convertor and valve block assembly.

I think that the last 'rebuild' was done as Phil has suggested with only the 'failed' parts replaced and then hoping that it wouldn't fail before the warranty expired!

The company that will be doing the work next week has assured me that they will strip the box completely while he sends the valve block assembly off for strip down and rebuild. If you don't know what you're doing - do it quickly!

Post #309231 30th Jan 2015 12:27pm
mrsamram

India 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Alaska White
Help Required Trans Failsafe Error

Hello
Recently found myself a nice 2002/2003 L322 that has 24000 kms on the clock. first Landy ive owned and I love it minus a few issues i have as of now.

So the Transmission Failsafe seemed to be an intermittent thing earlier, but now seems to be pretty regular so I've figured out the trend.

1. cold start - Always pops up with transmission failsafe, seems like its in a higher gear as considerable rpm is required to move it.

2. Sometimes it even comes before the crank, in that case the engine wont crank, need to remove key, move gear to Neutral, and then reinsert the key and restart, starts up fine without Failsafe, but when you shift to D, goes back to Failsafe.

3. Run it for just a few minutes and if you restart the car it goes away. but sometimes it appears again when you turn off the car. Warm start, no transmission failsafe, even while driving drives fine.

4. While in failsafe, and shifting to reverse, it goes with a thump.

5. I just replaced the battery with one available here in India, its not the genuine LR battery, but a 100 AH battery, which is the closest available to a 110AH battery. Powers everything else in the car just fine. Engine turns over fast as well.

6. I got it scanned and when the error showed up it said that it was a gear selector switch error.

I know you have already given the order of how we should solve things, Ive tried resolving the voltage issues, I had a weak battery . Im assuming my voltage issues are taken care of since I checked the voltage on at 2200 rpms and was in the 14 V range and at engine being off was in the 12.2 range.

A local guy here said I should try and replace the transmission oil and filter, but I feel like checking the resistance on the potentiometer is something I should do prior. Have seen pictures of the pin etc to check the resistance on, but where are these located? How do I access them?

Post #309337 30th Jan 2015 9:00pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

@aclr8r, crossed fingers are for your box, mine seems to be behaving very well Smile

@mrsamram, one problem could be a little low on oil since it seems to be doing fine when it has run for a bit. I'm assuming that temperature (too low I mean) is not an issue where you live but even then it should not be a problem. If the transmission oil and filter have never been changed then it would be worth replacing it even if the car only has 24k on it or at least check what the oil looks like by taking a small sample. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #309394 31st Jan 2015 1:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12