Home > General > Bell Auto Services Switchable Re-Map
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Japseroony

England 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Indus Silver
Bell Auto Services Switchable Re-Map

Hi All,

I thought I should share this with you all and especially anyone thinking of re-mapping their RR/RRS whether it be a TDV6 or a TDV8.

I have been fortunate enought to deal with Pete Bell (owner of Bell Auto Services - http://www.bellautoservices.co.uk/index.php) on the re-mapping of my Defender TDCi and have over the last 6 months enjoyed the increased power his re-map has offered with the switchable system having been adopted over the last 4 months Thumbs Up

As well as owning the Defender you may well be aware that I have a RRS TDV8 which is now some 12 months old and has 12k on the clock having just had its first service a week or so ago.

When I first drove the TDV8 it took me about 15 seconds to make up my mind that I had to have one, due to the power, sound and shear fun of driving such a beast on the road. Since then I have always said they have more than enough power and that they did not really need to be re-mapped etc but could be a little more frugal when drinking the liquid called diesel.

As a result I contacted Pete who invited me down to his workshop to see what he could do - I kind of think he already knew but was keeping me guessing Smile

So on Friday last I went down and spent the afternoon with him chatting about LR products in general as well as chatting about the TDV8. On the way down to York I averaged 24.3 MPG which is not bad for me, as the journey is a combination of dual carriageway and A roads.

He asked if I would agree to him re-mapping my RRS to see what I thought and if I was not happy he could put her back to standard.

It took him a short while and then said I could take her out for a drive and WOW what a difference Bow down Thumbs Up Bow down

If you thought your TDV8 was quick then think again, Censored me, now that the re-map is on she pulls stronger, sounds better with a slight increase in rear end burble, and is all together much smoother - not that she was not smooth anyway but she is just much more responsive and ready to go in any gear Exclamation Exclamation

After I returned Pete asked me what I thought and I instantly said "the map was on to stay but could I have a switchable system just in case I need to go back to the stealers etc" Question Obviously the answer was yes, so that was that Very Happy Very Happy

Pete asked that I re-set the trip computer and record the milage on the way home - he said this with a grin so I suspected something and guess what, doing the exact reverse journy I averaged 27.6 MPG which is a 3.3 MPG increase and with more power and instant throttle responce Thumbs Up Bow down Thumbs Up

Pete Bell, you are a GOD and many thanks for your help, patience and switchable re-map system Very Happy Thumbs Up Very Happy

Russell. "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" ------is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" ----is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" -----------is how far you take the fence with you.

Post #1384 24th Nov 2008 2:32pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Extremely interesting write up thanks.

When I had my TD6 chipped by JE, I saw an increase in power but the MPG stayed about the same, as I was using the increase in the power so therefore it negated the potential increase in economy.

Did you drive back in the same manner you arrived or were you using the extra power?

Let us know how you find your average mpg figures over time as thats the acid test. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #1385 24th Nov 2008 3:41pm
Japseroony

Hi,

The drive home was roughly the same as on the way down, possibly slightly slower due to traffic but then again, I was using the extra power occasionally Wink and enjoying the sweet music from the rear end Very Happy

Post #1386 24th Nov 2008 3:51pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Did he tell you what the BHP and nm Torque figures were after his work?

For comparison, JE Engineering's TDV8 in a FFRR boosts it to 315bhp and 800nm Torque, 0-60 in 7.1 seconds, top speed 140mph. Impressive! Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #1387 24th Nov 2008 4:06pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 

My remap is much the same output as the JE remap.

I personaly like to limit the torque a little bit more than he does to help with engine and gearbox life.

Regards Pete http://www.bellautoservices.co.uk
Please where possibly email me for a faster response, PM's are quite hard to manage for us when we are mobile but we always have email with us.

Post #1389 24th Nov 2008 5:53pm
Japseroony

Hi All,

Well I thought it time I wrote an up-date on the Bell Auto Services Switchable Re-map.

Since I had the re-map put on the TDV8 I have covered over 6000 miles and can honestly say I have not had any problems whatsoever Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

She has been into the stealers on 2 seperate occasions for work under wattanty and both times I have taken the re-map off and as soon as I get her back it is put back on (takes about 2 mins each time).

The TDV8 engine really does sound awesome and once the re-map is added she sounds even better with just a subtle amount of extra rumble from the back end.

With regards to the extra power, well again this is subtle but very noticable. The power is more instant and over the full rev range.

Fuel consumption is roughly the same overall, but on a long journey it is up slightly Smile Smile

Anyone thinking of a re-map, I would not hesitate in recommending Pete Bell and his switchable re-map Bow down Bow down

Post #4096 23rd Mar 2009 11:44am
ken

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Russell I'm guessing the Remap is on a RRS yes totally agree the sound from the TDV8 RRS when remapped is Mr. Green However the sound from a Remapped TDV8 FF is a little more muted (we have more padding Whistle )

Post #4100 23rd Mar 2009 12:59pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

I prefer the phrase - refined Cool

Post #4102 23rd Mar 2009 1:56pm
ken

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Thumbs Up

Post #4105 23rd Mar 2009 2:45pm
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

bell-auto-services wrote:
My remap is much the same output as the JE remap.

I personaly like to limit the torque a little bit more than he does to help with engine and gearbox life.

Regards Pete

Hi Pete,

What would it cost to do a TD6 (2002) RR vogue? The power delivery isn't bad, but I am interested in better MPG (a bit more power wouldn't hurt though!) 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #4143 24th Mar 2009 9:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1